Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Probably not.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
GB1

A
A
Thanks sbabcock, I am pretty sure I remember Wes Perkins from when I lived in Nome as a kid from 1966 to 1968. If I am correct, they had a falcon in a cage out in front of their home that they had caught out on the tundra. I was quite shocked to read about his attack and I am glad he is doing better but it sounds like he has quite a tough road ahead. It is a truly remarkable survival story for sure.

Shortly after we left Anchorage, another friend of ours was mauled by a grizzly but at the age of 14, he fought off the bear with a walking stick saving his friend's life.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1387786/posts

It is quite strange to read about bear attacks on two people I actually knew up in Alaska as a kid. My hopes and prayers are with Wes as he continues his long road to recovery.

God bless,

Alaska444

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I remember when MacInnes was mauled in 2005. Another friend was mauled a very short distance from that spot a few years ago. It's also close to where Greg Brush killed a big bear with a handgun while walking his dog.

I remember thinking what the odds must be to survive two brownie attacks.

I hope your friend is doing well.

And as usual, some really stoopit comments after that article.

Last edited by ironbender; 07/13/11.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Questioning the ethics of using a snow machine is a lot like questioning the use of deer feeders in Texas. Until you live and hunt there/here, I think you lack adequate understanding to form a valid opinion.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
A
A
Tell the eskimos not to hunt on snow machines!! LOL, that would be a worse affront to the culture than taking blubber away and eskimo ice cream.

IC B2

A
A
Sounds like he wouldn't have made it past the first attack if it were not for the bravery of a 14 year old kid who fought off a grizzly with a walking stick. What a story. I remember Mike as the eldest child of about 6 if I remember right and he was always looking out for them even at a young age.

Quite sadly, he and his younger brother Gilbert drowned in 1984 off of Soldotna in a commercial fishing accident, a tragedy compounded by their young families. I believe he was only 30 or 31 at the time. Growing up, I remember seeing the polar bear skin in their living room wall that their mother had killed with a bow and arrow or so the story went anyway. Quite the frontier family.

Last edited by Alaska444; 07/13/11.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by DELGUE
I wonder if the brown bears have a bulletin board and put up 'Hunter attacks Brown Bear!' threads during hunting season, which the member bears read aghast? I guess I'm just the curious sort...
yes, and they wonder about how to work and put away for their cubs education and health insur.....

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by DELGUE
I wonder if the brown bears have a bulletin board and put up 'Hunter attacks Brown Bear!' threads during hunting season, which the member bears read aghast? I guess I'm just the curious sort...
yes, and they wonder about how to work and put away for their cubs education and health insur.....

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I have read quite a few accounts where individuals have been mauled and killed by grizz (brown bears) while tracking or accidently stumbling accross their spore. This would suggest to me that these bears do not like you following them and they will either charge you or lie in ambush. I saw a hunting video that featured a guide outfitter that was very experienced in hunting grizz. He stated on camera that there are no old bold grizzly bear photographers as they all get eaten. This would suggest to me that if you are not hunting grizz and or are not appropriatly armed and you come across fresh tracks, I would back out of there right now.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,800
Posts18,477,464
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.