Print Thread
Hop To
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Have a moose, bear, deer and elk hunts planned for this year. Looking at canning some of this year's harvest.

Any guys/gals on here have canning canning tips, recipes?

Have canned vegetables and fruits and know how to use a pressure cooker.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looking forward to learning myself! Thanks for posting the question. Total newbie at canning myself.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
" Cold packing " is the preferred method around here and was also back in Pa. when I lived there.

EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I'm of no technical help to you in the process itself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We usually turn at least one or two whole black bears into chili verde each spring. There are two waiting patiently in the freezer even as I type this. I have posted my recipe here several times previously. I make the chili and Miss T cans it in pints and quarts. Deer and moose were the last two versions, but previous editions included musk ox, dall sheep, bison, wild pig, mt goat, and caribou.

Another favorite is plain old stew meat of any kind chunked and canned. Adding a bit of tomato paste and salt is a good idea. Can it for use as instant stroganoff or stew later. To make stroganoff just pour the liquid from the jar in a large skillet, add about an equal volume of tomato sauce, and an equal volume of sour cream. Stir well and add a good dose of dill weed and seed. When blended and hot add the meat carefully and stir gently. Too rough and the meat will be shredded. Spoon thickly over rice or pasta.

There is a lot more you can do with jarred meat...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.uaf.edu/ces/ ....... go to publications, enter "canning" in search box.....about 1/2 way down...everthing u want to know about.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by atvalaska
http://www.uaf.edu/ces/ ....... go to publications, enter "canning" in search box.....about 1/2 way down...everthing u want to know about.

Thanks Guys

I have very limited freezer space becasue I live on wind and solar power so think canning game is a good option for meat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is a great option.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I canned fresh tuna one time. It was excellent.

I sprinkled a small amount of salt to the bottom of the jar. Chunks of fresh tuna added to 3/4 full. Covered with chicken broth, and another small amount of salt on top. Canned to directions. My kids would not eat store bought tuna until it was gone. Good luck.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We did the tuna in some olive oil with a clove or two of garlic. It was unbelievable.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Your Pressure Canner should have directions. The pressure and length of time varies with what you are canning. It is longer and higher pressure, if I remember correctly, for higher altitudes.
We used to can some of our game each year to make for a quick meal of stroganoff or hot "beef" sandwiches. I canned it in boullion.

Wattsthis
"All I'm say'n is don't get old. You'll live to regret it"
John Wayne Movie...The Train Robbers
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We use tougher cuts (neck, shoulder) and cut it into cubes about 1 inch. Pack into pint jars, add a pinch of salt, and sometimes an onion slice. Seal the jars and into the canner for about 3 hours. Pull them out and listen for the lids to 'pop'.

I'm still cold packing too (I don't have a pressure canner) but it's not recommended for meat any more. Seems botulism can result because meat isn't acid enough (like tomato based stuff) and boiling water isn't hot enough to kill the bacteria. I think you need 240*.

Dale

This space for rent

M
MJS Offline
M
Canning wild game is absolutely fantastic.

It's natures best fast food. Precooked, so tender it falls apart with a fork, and moist. Great to mash with a fork and put some Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce on it and throw it on a bun for instant BBQ. Great in chili, vegetable soups, tacos, beef and noodles etc. You can't beat it.

All you do is put 1 inch cubes in mason jars with a little canning salt and put in a pressure cooker at 11 lbs pressure for 90 minutes. If you are at altitude (I live at 7,200 feet) you have to adjust by following the charts. I use 14 lbs pressure for 90 minutes.

These cans will last for years! We can antelope, deer, elk and even cougar.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yup. My daughter and I put up several pints of venison, last winter. It was our 1st time doing it, and it came out great!

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i can venison every year

cut in cubes,pack in jars alittle below the neck
add one 1/4 of a large onion and 1 beef bullion cube
fill up 1in from top with water.

pressure can at 15lbs for 80min. this is for quarts,pints about 60min will do

this is fine eating over rice or toast.i call this my 5min meal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before refridgeration, farmers used to "can" pork by cooking it with fat and lard. I think that my family simple poured the cooked pork and fat/lard into a huge three/four gallon pickle jar and let it set. When Grandma wanted to cook with pork, she would just dig it out.

Last edited by croldfort; 07/17/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,147
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.