Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mattole Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I carry a Kahr PM9 as my CCW but there are times when even that rather diminutive pistol is too large, so I am thinking of getting a 380 for those times that I need something really small.

I have narrowed the choices to the Kahr P380 and the SW Bodyguard 380. I really like the price of the SW as well as the built-in laser, but I know the Kahr is just a smidge smaller in its' dimensions.

So for those of you who are familiar with both of these pistols: is there any meaningful difference in conceal-ability between these two?

And for those of you who own the SW Bodyguard 380: how do you like it?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would pick the Kahr over the Smith myself. They are priced on the high side and that is the Kahr 380 only fault.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
LCP

M
Mattole Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Yes, after some research the LCP with the Pearce grip extension is starting to look pretty good, considering the price advantage over the Kahr.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Second the LCP. But I haven't shot the S&W yet...

my son was doing a science project on whales and he asked "whats a blow-hole for" and i said "I'll tell you what it's not for, and when I do, you'll understanded why I'm banned for life from Sea World"!
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Get the Kahr. The Smith is still having teething problems. In my subjective opinion, the Kahr has less felt recoil than the Ruger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just went through the searching/buying process for a compact.

I know that compacts are a compromise, but I found I didn't like the feel of any of them when I shot them. And what is the point of getting into a gunfight, using a gun that you don't feel confident with? I shot 2 Kel-Tecs, a Ruger, an S&W Airweight, and the Sig P238. I also held about another 15 models in various stores.

Initially, I was rather determined to get a 9mm just for the added power, but in the end, I decided that the 9mm's weren't significantly smaller than my 4" 1911. (The Kimber Solo might be an exception, but I couldn't find one in the entire state of Washington. The Ruger LC9 was small/light enough too, but I hated the feel of it). So, I decided I'd have to swallow hard and get a .380 Auto.

I fondled the S&W Bodyguard and it was OK--especially for the price. It comes with a laser sight and feels pretty good in your hand. But, they have painful quality control issues. Do some searches and you'll find a lot of complete malfunctions--the gun just breaks and doesn't even fire.

I also decided that I wanted a single action trigger. So, in the end, I got a Sig P238. Single action, very useable night sights, laser sight, and feels great when you shoot it. I am not thrilled that I ended up with a .380, but I feel confident that the Sig would give me the best chance of saving my life should the situation arise. [Footnote: My Sig's trigger had some creep to it and the factory laser sight made too big of a dot, so it all went back to Sig for a fix. The issues weren't terrible, but not up to the Sig reputation (or price I paid to have a great trigger). But, if they fix it, I'll forgive them.]

Getting to your question: The S&W versus the Kahr. I held both of these (but didn't shoot either). I liked both the feel and the trigger of the Kahr much better than the S&W. In fact, if I hadn't bought the Sig P238, I would have purchased the Kahr. The S&W would have been my third choice but for its severe reliability issues. In a carry pistol, I just don't want a latent defect lurking, just waiting to become a problem at a most inconvenient time!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
M
Mattole Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks for the replies. I can see why you chose the Sig, Waders. A fine looking pistol that I would expect lives up to the Sig reputation for quality and accuracy. That model isn't an option for me however since the safety is not ambidextrous and I am a lefty. It also is very close in size and weight to my Kahr PM9.

I hope to be able to handle a LCP to see how it fits my hands. Otherwise it will be the Kahr p380 - which I will have to pay a premium for here in California..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1234, 1lessdog, 02bfishn, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.