Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Last nite I took my lab Heidi out for her nightly business- I heard nothing, but she came back to me carrying her left front paw in the air. Once in the house, I saw blood on the top of her paw, and it was already beginning to swell.

We got her to the emergency vet hospital, where they began giving her IV, getting her hydrated, etc. I checked this morning, she seems to be doing as good as can be expected, for a 13 yr. old dog. I just hope there will be no major tissue damage.

We gave her children's Benadryl immediately, put ice on the bite, kept her quiet, all the stuff you are supposed to do- I hope it helped.

There were two other dogs that had just been brought in for rattlesnake bites last evening.

Wish I knew what God had in mind when he made rattlesnakes.....

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sucks.

I'm pulling for Heidi!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I hope Heidi is OK. I always wondered how ranchers could ever relax when raising kids and dogs in the viper infested sagebrush out west.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prayers sent for the old gal.
Talked to a neighbor last night that said last year her 10 year old dog got bit by a mohave and lived. hope the same result for Heidi.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I hope you get the snake and no more bites occur and your dog recovers.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I lost a good cow dog to a timber rattler. Here is hoping for the best.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I hope she's OK.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hope your pup is okay.

We've had two pretty close calls just walking in the neighborhood in recent months. Last night a 3-4 footer started crossing the road in front of us so we turned around and headed home. By the time I returned with truck and shovel he was nowhere to be seen.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Last summer, we stopped in Oatman AZ for a bit, and while I was talking to a Tea Party supporter in the little leather shop there, he told me he'd smoked a mohave right out there on the boardwalk a week or so before. (I'd noticed a SAA hanging in one of his holster rigs behind the counter). When I asked what he kept it loaded with, he said, "Snake shot" and told me about the snake he'd killed.
That's not a happy thing to have hanging around a tourist trap like Oatman. I DID buy a nice belt from him, for having the proper attitude.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hoping for a full recovery for your pup. The whole 20+ years I lived in Colorado, including seven in Pueblo, I never encountered a rattler even with all my running around in the boonies. I know they were around, including some in town. I was nearby when a pregnant gal got struck from under a metal shed at an event at the model plane field west of Pueblo.

There aren't any poisonous snakes where I live now, and that suits me just fine. I don't want to deal with the f'ers.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bad deal, Bighorn!

Hope Heidi pulls through OK!!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have rattlesnakes in our area, but you have to look for them.
A lot more copperheads give problems here. They are sneaky little critters that live under rocks or lumber piles and will reach for you.

Once down at Table Rock Lake in MO, we had a deck boat and were just doing a family cruise down the lake. We pulled into a very small cove for lunch on the water. While we were eating, I noticed the biggest copperhead that I have ever seen sunning on a large rock. He must have been 3' to over 40" long and as big around as my arm. We watched him as long as it took us to eat lunch. I have never seen a copperhead over 2' in our area.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I hope Heidi is OK. I always wondered how ranchers could ever relax when raising kids and dogs in the viper infested sagebrush out west.

It ain't like there is a rattlesnake under every bush....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had a lab get hit once too, she did fine...Good luck with the old gal...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sisters German shorthair got hit by one of the small prairie rattlers in south central Kansas. A few days at the vet and he was good as new. His head had swelled up to nearly double what it should have been.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my dad had his beagles given shots to build up immunity to rattler bites.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here is hoping Heidi makes it OK.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck to Heidi!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I figured he was still up in Montana. Rude, if you ask me. I would have expected better out of one of our own campfire members.

Hope she gets better. We had a husky get bit when I was a kid. Twice in the chest. She made it through all right though.

Last summer we had two different people get bit same weekend. Local hospitals didn't have enough anti-venom and due to the condition of one of the victims, he was sent to Billings. Poor kid was one of the OB nurse's kids that worked with my wife. He stepped out of a boat onto shore and fell back into it saying a snake bit me. Then he passed out. They hurried back to the dock and got someone there with a phone (no cell service) to call the ambulance. She had to start CPR on her 5 year old boy. They made it and flew him to Billings. Almost had to amputate his foot. Pretty scary deal. He made it through it all right though.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I hear members here all the time saying they let the damn things alone...they'll change their tune quick if one of theirs gets bit...the one you let slither away today will bite your ass tomorrow. I don't go out of my way to find em, but I kill every friggin one I see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1minute, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 12,426 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,369
Posts18,547,149
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.