Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Awesome write-up KC. I cant tell you how helpful that was for someone new to elk hunting. Thank you very much!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent write-up KC! Very helpful! smile

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by annapolis76eb
Awesome write-up KC. I cant tell you how helpful that was for someone new to elk hunting. Thank you very much!

You're welcome. That's why I wrote it. I'm glad you apreciated it.

Every time that I post the article I add something or improve it. I just added a couple more paragraphs.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by EricM
Excellent write-up KC! Very helpful! smile

EricM:

I grew up in souther CA. But I'm glad to be living somewhere else now. I'm also glad that you enjoyed the article.
Every time that I post the article I add something or improve it. I just added a couple more paragraphs.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With some serious prep time and research, one can do well on his own. Call biologists, hit all the online map sources, and find spots that are at the end of the road or generally too rugged for the casual day hunter. Research the states and units that have good numbers of elk, and show up a few days early. Don't expect to score 350+ bulls right out of the chute unless one lucks a New Mexico or Arizona draw. If one can be happy with a cow or raghorn bull the first few outings, he should do well. Last, one must have the time. Dashing out for a 3 day hunt when there is a 15 day season seldom yields success. Commit to the full season and at least a couple of front end days to learn the ground and get camp set up. Get to your spots early and stay until it's dark.

Our party does Wyoming as often as possible. Last outing 4 first timers from WVa and Ohio showed up in a nearby camp and scored 2 bulls and a cow in the first 3 days. They then quit and headed into Yellowstone for a tour.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/07/11.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
butt-kicking good article KC. I really appreciate the info. I'm going on my 3rd elk hunt in a couple months, and I definately see areas where I need to improve my approach. Thanks for helping out a fellow hunter.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
P
P
Yep - We DIY every year. I live in CO and have hunted the area you are interested in. Get comfortable w/ the altitude. It can take a few days to acclimate. Horses or mules can help w/ access into higher more remote areas.

Spend a few days looking hard for good elk sign. If you don't see good sign move. You need to go to them. As hunting pressure increases they go darker and higher. Snow moves them down, but until it comes they can and will stay high.

In the Meeker area you will see sheep herders until October. They can be a good resource. They ride the area all summer.
Good Luck, Be Safe and Enjoy!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by jswbga
butt-kicking good article KC. I really appreciate the info. I'm going on my 3rd elk hunt in a couple months, and I definately see areas where I need to improve my approach. Thanks for helping out a fellow hunter.

jswbga:

You know the best thing about a forum like this is that you can write articles and it's like reliving the experience. I'm not a professional writer and I've been working on this article for several years. It takes me that long to get right and good.

KC

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks KC, Great info for novice elk hunter like me!!

I consider myself lucky after our very first elk scouting trip in CO encountering two bears, first one on 13yds just outside shelter (he is now habituated to run away when 870 is pumped)and second one on 50yds (he couldn't care less). I also take your advice and try to get a bear tag for hunting trip;)

matthunter

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
From maps the Sierra Madres in Wyoming look to have quite a bit of water available, but since I have never been there I was hoping someone could verify. Anyone know those mountains that could tell me if water access (for me to drink) will be an issue while we are camping up there for a week or so? Thanks fellas.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I always use a water filter no matter who's mountains I am in.

I loved KC article I usually hunt at least one or two new units each year and his article nails it down. My advice is that conditioning and shooting skills are number 1 and number 1 priority. If you can't get to them you can't shoot em. If you can't hit them getting to them is unimportant. Hunting takes place from an hour or more prior to daylight and until darkness. Hunt them as you would spot and stalk Whitetails, slow and slower. If you want a 300 plus bull rent a guide and go to NM, Utah or Reservation and have lots of $. Shoot em first then worry about getting them out. You will spend far more time hunting than packing.

Last edited by Elkmen; 07/11/11.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Elkmen is right. Take a water filter. I use the Katadyn Hiker Pro.

KC

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I plan to use a filter. I was mainly asking about the availability of water (i.e. are there lots of streams). Thanks guys.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Annapolis

Take a look at the area on Google Earth, that will give you a significant amout of info. I have found water in all of the Wyoming units I hunted, but have not hunted that area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am too lazy and cheap to carry and use filters.

From the FEMA website. Our party has been doing this for about 20 years now. 6 ounces of bleach in a squirt bottle will go a very long way.

Chlorination: You can use household liquid bleach to kill microorganisms. Use only regular household liquid bleach that contains 5.25 to 6.0 percent sodium hypochlorite. Do not use scented bleaches, color safe bleaches, or bleaches with added cleaners. Because the potency of bleach diminishes with time, use bleach from a newly opened or unopened bottle.
Add 16 drops (1/8 teaspoon) of bleach per gallon of water, stir, and let stand for 30 minutes. The water should have a slight bleach odor. If it doesn�t, then repeat the dosage and let stand another 15 minutes. If it still does not smell of chlorine, discard it and find another source of water.
Other chemicals, such as iodine or water treatment products sold in camping or surplus stores that do not contain

Last edited by 1minute; 07/12/11.

1Minute
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I plan to use a filter. I was mainly asking about the availability of water (i.e. are there lots of streams). Thanks guys.

It depends on where you are hunting. I hunt elk in the mountains, and streams are common enough that I only carry a quart of water in my pack. I filter and fill my Nalgene bottle while hiking and I camp near a stream so I can have water when cooking.

There are places, like sage flats, where water is not so common but in most places where you hunt elk, there will be water.

If you're hunting in a dry area, then an isolated water source is a good place for a stake out.

KC

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Only takes one case of Giardiosis to make believer out of anyone,.One case and you will carry a filter.One case of it and you will rethink even the bleach idea.

I'm not any smarter,just been there/done that.It ain't fun

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great advice KC.
Getting proficient with archery gear is a great way to get better elk hunting also as most archery seasons fall during the rut and generally archery tags are easier to draw than rifle tags.
Just knowing bulls are in the area will keep you optimistic and hearing them bugle at night will get you headed in the right direction.
Don't overlook muzzleloader hunting for the same reasons.

As KC mentioned, most guys are hiking TO the elk or back to camp at PRIME TIME.
Spiking out far from roads in likely basins is a huge bonus as long as you don't bugger up the herd with bad wind direction or too much noise.
Learning to accept hard work and being comfortable in uncomfortable conditions are things that come with successful elk hunting.

Knowing what to do once an elk is on the ground is crucial as well.

My DIY elk hunts have been some of the best hunts of my life...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
From maps the Sierra Madres in Wyoming look to have quite a bit of water available, but since I have never been there I was hoping someone could verify. Anyone know those mountains that could tell me if water access (for me to drink) will be an issue while we are camping up there for a week or so? Thanks fellas.

If you cant find water in 21 you should look into window flavorings to assist in the licking process. Lots and lots of water.

R
rg74 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks, good info

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 7887mm08, 13 invisible), 975 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,921
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.