Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Anybody have experience with the Marmot down sleeping bags with the waterproof membrane? Just wondering if the waterproof and breathability of this bag are any good.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used Membrain though not on a sleeping bag. Waterproof yes, breathability numbers are almost identical to Gore-tex--which I find quite poor. I also don't like membranes of any kind on sleeping bags due to condensation issues in the insulation. I'd suggest a water resistant bag cover if you need more protection. Hope this helps.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Yep, that was kind of what I was thinking. I was thinking that if it was waterproof, it would have a hard time letting out condensation from inside the bag as well. Thanks for the info.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a Marmot Helium Membrane bag. Has worked great so far. I don't think I'd go down woithout it--too risky. A bivy sack adds way too much weight for a backpacking bag IMO. A bag needs to be aired daily whenever practical anyway.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
I've used Membrain though not on a sleeping bag. Waterproof yes, breathability numbers are almost identical to Gore-tex--which I find quite poor. I also don't like membranes of any kind on sleeping bags due to condensation issues in the insulation. I'd suggest a water resistant bag cover if you need more protection. Hope this helps.

+1 I have used Membrain bags, Conduit, Gore-Tex, Dryloft etc. They all have good weather protection but suffer baddly from a lack of breathability.

Like Snowy said, a bag cover is a better answer. I have and like the Ti-Goat Omni-zip bivt, it's 7 oz. I have also had good luck with Mont-Bell's bag cover. Moisture from the inside is usuallly a lot more of a problem with a down bag than moisture from the outside. DWR's are quite effective unless you plan on sleeping in the rain with no shelter

Ed T

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the insights, Ed T.
I just picked up a Marmot Helium long in NON-menbrane and I was thinking on an 'overbag' option. I have two goat permits in my pocket and wanted uber-light, warm, but want a dry sleep...
Is that 7 oz. Ti-goat a long?

Frank

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Frank,

It will fit a long bag no problem.

Ed T

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Aren't the seams on these not taped or otherwise made waterproof? I looked at the bad a few years back and I'm pretty sure that was one of the reasons I decided to stay away from it. The main issue was the condensation concern that's been pointed out.

I had a friend looking to get one of these recently thinking it was fully waterproof like a bivy. I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Nuke
Aren't the seams on these not taped or otherwise made waterproof? I looked at the bad a few years back and I'm pretty sure that was one of the reasons I decided to stay away from it. The main issue was the condensation concern that's been pointed out.

I had a friend looking to get one of these recently thinking it was fully waterproof like a bivy. I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.

I don't think any are taped. Big Agnes had a series a while ago where the shell was bonded. I knew a guy in ID that spent several dry nights in the rai in one with no other shelter other than his rain coat ove his head. I don't know if they still make these or not.

Ed T

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (2ndwind, 22250rem, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 219DW, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,797
Posts18,496,262
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.