Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Berettaman, I'm outside of Buffalo. Only difference I've noticed is all the things the government requires us to buy/pay a tax for are unavailable. Im new to MN and I've met some fine folks, but how a man can run on a platform of raising taxes and win is beyond me. I guess thank god for St. Paul, Minneapolis, Deluth and the Iron Range.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bear success rates in MN are pretty good as we can bait. I know one guy on the 'fire who had his entire camp fill out with 2 each in a no quota zone a couple years back. Nice ones too.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't think that record counted?
I heard a "Bigfoot" killed it!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
We have had a bear season for 2 years now. First year we killed i think 2o bears statewide in a month. Last year we killed 20+ in the first day. They are scatted somewhat but for $100 you can give them a shot in the SE part of the state.

When the state started the season they made all the lifetime license holders, who are exempt from state fee's, non-exempt from the bear tag fee. MOney money money. No reward for shelling out the cash in one whack for the lifetime license. They kinda went back on their selling point of never buy an in-state tag again.

Joseph

Joseph
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
There are a lot more than 14,000 bears in Wisconsin. The dnr said there were 9,000 5 years ago. Three years ago they said 14,000. Last year they claim 26,000. Hard to get a license though. I've been waiting 5 years.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted them in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico and Alaska. IMO, Alaska stands alone. For numbers and for size it's pretty hard to beat it..

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
ihookem,
I got a C zone tag. My buddy had 5 points, I have 6.
Will be hunting in langlade co. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many of the hunting rag "experts" think the next world record is coming from PA. I don't doubt it a bit. We've got some MONSTER bears here.

But as far as % success goes..........I wouldn't plan a hunt in PA if I were a non-resident. Unless you are a member of a good and established "bear gang" you don't stand much of a chance of success.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
IMO, Alaska stands alone. For numbers and for size it's pretty hard to beat it..

Yep...Ive hunted them in Montana, Idaho and Washington, plus Alaska.

Alaska stands alone indeed...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In refernce to the world record calculation, I always thought with Bear, it was weight, too. I saw a picture of the one in NC and it was like a huge barrel.
I imagine B&C does take skull measurents on bear. What would it consider a B&C wild boar if weight is not a consideration?

Ona side note, I caught a nice largemouth bass last night. It had a really big head on it. I should have measured it and I might have had the new world record. It didn't weigh much but it sure had a big head! wink

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Many of the hunting rag "experts" think the next world record is coming from PA. I don't doubt it a bit. We've got some MONSTER bears here.

But as far as % success goes..........I wouldn't plan a hunt in PA if I were a non-resident. Unless you are a member of a good and established "bear gang" you don't stand much of a chance of success.

I think it will come out of New Jersey. They gave them a few years to get bigger.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
PA has quite a number of black bears, and kills 3,000 in 3 days for their 3 day bear hunt. quite a few in and over 600 lbs taken each year there. No so much how many bears live in the place, as how many are taken..

Ghost
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by pondjumpr
In refernce to the world record calculation, I always thought with Bear, it was weight, too. I saw a picture of the one in NC and it was like a huge barrel.
I imagine B&C does take skull measurents on bear. What would it consider a B&C wild boar if weight is not a consideration?

Ona side note, I caught a nice largemouth bass last night. It had a really big head on it. I should have measured it and I might have had the new world record. It didn't weigh much but it sure had a big head! wink

Guessing a 250 pound Minnesota doe would more desirable than a 170 class 175 pound buck from Texas.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Went to the PA site, and the new record, weight wise, for a black bear killed there is 879 lbs..thats about 200 lbs more than a normal grizzly.. but they did note it would have to have the skull dry for 6 months (I think) before being measured.

Ghost
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
SE AK 10-20 years ago. SE AK needs a rest, to let some more bears grow older/bigger. The non-resident pressure has put a hurt on the bear populations in SE AK.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to the PA site, and the new record, weight wise, for a black bear killed there is 879 lbs

What "PA site" might this be?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where would you guys suggest a poor, poor Texan who has never even seen a wild Black Bear go to bag one???

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Calvin
SE AK 10-20 years ago. SE AK needs a rest, to let some more bears grow older/bigger. The non-resident pressure has put a hurt on the bear populations in SE AK.

All the little ones been killed?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
More on that record-breaking Pa. black bear � Woods and Waters
More on that record-breaking Pa. black bear. November 24, 2010 by John McCoy ...

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/johnmccoy/2010/11/24/more-on-that-record-breaking-pa-black-bear

Ghost
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not competing with Alaska here...

but in SW Oregon here, we have a lot of Forest Service land..
for instance the county I live in is larger than Rhode Island, has a population of less than 100,000 people with 35,000 living in the main town...

75 % of the county is federal land...

bear tags are an after thought by many deer and elk hunters as they are only $10/11 for a resident....

few people really actively go out just to bear hunt... but there is certainly no shortage of them... you don't necessarily see them much, but you sure see sign of them...

just in my suburban semi rural neighborhood here there are 5 or 6 of them living with one square mile...a neighbor has one that has been residing in the black berry bushes at his house for 5 years of more...

I never see it, but I sure pick up his feces in the yard, especially in the summer, yet he doesn't get into my garbage cans, so there is plenty of food for him...

I shot one in self defense half a mile from the house during deer season a couple of years ago.. it was about 125 lbs.. but someone took a 500 lb one the same day, within several hundred yards...

the one I took was coming up the hillside, in the brush... I was waiting and thinking it might have been a buck, so I was at the ready... this area has a lot of joggers running thru it, no official trails tho.. and they kick up game all the time...

it popped out on the off side of a big pine... I had the rifle ready to go if it was a buck...35 yds or so...

when it cleared the tree, it caught my scent, I could see the hair go up on the bag of its neck... it just roared and charged.. after about the 5th pace I knew it was not a warning charge....I am sure it was scared and felt cornered... so it was going to fight its way out real quick...

so after the 5th pace and no stopping, I pulled the trigger on the 260... it turned 180 degrees and then went ass over teakettle down the hill side, which was steep enough that it rolled at least 60 to 75 yds... I went down to it in the brush, and it was kicking its last and then expired..

just glad I had that rifle at the ready...
if not, I am sure my fanny would have been mauled...

125 lbs might not be a big bear, but a pissed off 125 lb bear still can be a hand full...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, 5 invisible), 1,695 guests, and 714 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,953
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.