Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been running an old Scott Caliper release for something like 20 years now. Thinking it would be good to pick up a new one and I don't stay in touch with the latest gear. Anything out there better than Scott or should I just stick with what I know?

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If your comfortable with it and know it like the back of your hand and it aint broke I would keep it and not get another b-u-t if you need or want another just to get a new one then have at it.

I use a Tru-ball copperhead extra model (#9046)

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I also use a Tru-ball. Can't remember what model it is.

Ken

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
20 years? Yeah I would say there are some new releases out there. Not saying you need a new one, but yes indeed there are a few new releases out there. Releases like most hunting gear are a personal preference so you would be better served by trying out a bunch before you buy. What is right for me or the next guy may not be right for you. Visit your local archery shop and check them out. Then you know if you really want to spend the coin or not.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not new but the Tru Ball Short and sweet(the one with the curved trigger closest to the release head) has become my favorite. No doubt there may newer and better things out there, but as was stated above, if it aint broke why try to fix it?

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
hated it. freakin curved trigger hangs on everything you try to do with that hand.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
bolt cutter cut it off at proximal bend but now it shoots like crap

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As said above its all preference.

I used to use the Scott Little Bitty Goose with the NCS (release head with strap instead of metal neck) for years with great results. I say used to because my girlfriend recently got into archery and bought the Scott Wildcat. Unfortunately she got it in the 5 position post style instead of NCS and we couldn't get it short enough for her. Alas she uses the little goose and the wildcat is now my back up.

I recently switched to the Scott Silverhorn and am super happy with it. It is a modified hook style release instead of a caliper are. Adjustable weight and almost no trigger travel. It is superb.....

The Wildcat is a single caliper and damn good as well absolutely no complaints. It's only my back up because I shoot the hook style Longhorn just a tad better.

K
K
I used a Scott caliper for about 10 years then thought it was time to change so bought another Scott, Sabertooth I think. The new one was way less bulky, easier to get on the loop, and the jaws are stainless steel vs my old aluminums, those were the main differences, biggest to me was the smaller size, felt much better.

Hope this helps, James.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have big hands and long fingers. A lot of the releases are short that I tried. I ended up with the Tru-fire Edge foldback. This will be the first season I have hunted with it but so far, I really like it while target shooting. I like the option to fold back the release for gettign things out of my bag or for climbing in and out of the tree, etc. (althought I usually take my current one off). The length is easily adjustable with a screw action. The wrist strap is also really nice. It has some elsatic or neoprene that allows the adjustable section to remain in a closed circle while not on your wrist. In other words, you can only use one hand to put the release on and you don't strugle ith it like with some leather straps (in my experience).

Anyways, I like it so far but I am sure here are many other options that are as good or better out there.

Luckily, my pro-shop allowed me to shoot several brands before I committed to a new release. I believe I paid $70 or so for mine.

IC B3

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Went back to a Scott and it seems to be working well. Now I need to buy all new fletching supplies for carbon arrows. Discovering that the money never stops rolling in archery.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scott Wildcat for me, and going to start using a Spot Hogg Saturday Night Special (t-handle style) if I can get used to it. Mostly to gain some draw lenght and speed and see if it's makes me more accurate than with my Scott.

I too also like the Silver Horn, I used to shoot one at a retailer I worked at. If I were to replace my Wildcat, it would be with a silver horn.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

O
O
I've hunted with a Scott Wildcat for the last few years and had zero complaints. Last year I also bought a Carter "Like Mike" release and liked it to. The only problem with the Like Mike is that the trigger design tends to shorten your draw length about a half an inch. So I then decided to try the Carter "RX1" release and the Spot Hogg "Wiseguy". I liked the Wiseguy the best due to the fact I can fold it back under my forearm and lock it out of the way while I'm trying to make adjustments on my bow. I liked the RX1, I just liked the fold back option on the Wiseguy better

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
SpottHogg WiseGuy OR Scott SaberTooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a TRU Hurricane (I think). It's big, clunky and has a buckle strap for someone with a much bigger wrist than I, but I shoot well with it. I also have a TRU Short and Sweet in Velcro. I don't like the Velcro and wish the head swiveled so as to not torque the string. Thinking about trying TRU's The Beast if the head swivels, in a buckle strap with straight trigger. Anyone use this release?

BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was totally new to releases until 1 week ago, having shot with fingers and a tab for 31 years. After getting set up with a new Mathews eZ7, the pro shop guy recommended this release - the Tru Fire Hardcore Hybrid Foldback. I'll never go back to fingers, at least for a compound. I was always a good shot with fingers, but I just don't have the time to put into the practice it requires to be really proficient. The accuracy with a release is just amazing.

http://www.trufire.com/hardcore.html#hardcore_hybrid_foldback

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 204guy, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,598
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.