Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1234567 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
90% of my flyfishing has been for bass on large lakes, using large, wind resistant bass bugs.

I use 8.5 and 9 feet rods and 8 and 9 weight lines, because it gets windy on large lakes and these bugs are difficult to control.

I have been reading about 3 and 4 weight rods and lines, and I was wondering what these lighter rods and lines are used for. Maybe trout in small streams?

Are these 3 and 4 weight rods not as stiff as the 8 and 9 weights, or is there other differences?

Also, I would like some opinions on Sage rods.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
People usually use 3 and 4 weight rods for trout, even lighter in some cases. The 4wt and 5wt are both very popular for trout. The 3wt is often used in small streams with dry flies. These rods can also be used for sunfish.

They're much thinner and lighter than 8 and 9wt rods. As far as rod stiffness goes, that depends more on the specific rod. The stiffer rods are normally described as being "faster" action rods. Rods that flex more and feel less stiff are usually thought to be "slower" rods.

There is no right or wrong answer to which is better. Most people tend to prefer faster action rods, even in the lighter line weights but a slower rod can work just as well. I like to use bamboo rods in 5wt and lower. They're usually slower than most modern graphite rods, but they tend to have a more natural feel.

I like Sage rods very much and use them from 5wt up to 14wt.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Tom pretty well nailed it. Personally I rarely use anything larger than a 6 wt. with a 4-5 usually being my weapon of choice. When after bass I'll go to one of my 6-7 wts. but I fish exclusively creeks and rivers so don't usually have to contend with as much wind as one sees on larger lakes.

Can't tell you a thing about Sage as all I use is bamboo. Certainly their reputation is excellent.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
1234567 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the replies. So, would a 3, 4, or 5 weight work for large, wind resistant bass bugs? Could you get as much distance with the lighter rods as with, say, an 8 weight, when using the big bugs?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm inclined to be in the 7-8 realm for bass. Not so much the casting part, but more about horsing them out of heavy weeds or submerged stumps etc.

1Minute
IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
The 3,4,or 5 weight rods would not work well with big, wind-resistant flies. You need more line weight to drag those big flies around. I personally get along better with a slower action rod when trying to cast the big stuff.

1234567 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What is the brand of line preferred by the majority of the fly fishermen on this site?

For bass bugging, and the very little bit of trout fishing I have done, I have always used Cortland WF floating.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Typically I'll go with an 8wt for steelhead and salmon, and a 6wt for most of my trout fishing. Love throwing streamers for trout... And bigger ones for steelhead & salmon!

My trout rod is a Sage but my favorite steelhead/salmon rod is a St. Croix. It casts and fishes very well.

A few years back I asked a buddy of mine to build a beautiful little 4wt trout rod for my father. It's a wonderful rod for dry flies and not bad for nymphs or small streamers. Sage blank on that one.

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use a 5wt WF line for most of my fishing in the creeks and streams. The average fish weighing around a pound or two. In the river I use a 7wt to 9wt depending on wind and species (bass to saltwater stripe). The 5wt will not be as brutal on you after casting all day but you can't horse the fish either.

I started using TFO's the last couple of years and have been very pleased with them. I have some Orvis and Sage rods and like them both. The TFO's are much easier on the wallet. With todays technology you just about can't go wrong with any of them. Your casting stroke should be what determines the type of flex you prefer not others opinions. I would love to fish with bamboo but my patience and casting stroke will not allow it. I like a very stiff tip-flex rod. JMO.

Last edited by bamagun01; 07/24/11.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm pretty much a trout fisherman. My rod of choice or the first rod I pick up is My old Sage Graphite II 8'6" for 5 Wt. I carry just two fly lines fishing, a DT-F and the Fastest Sinking Tip I can get. I have other rods going from 2 Wt to 10 Wt. The 10 is what I like for Salmon. Now the Biggest three Rainbows I ever caught on a dry fly were back to back fish, size 22 Grffiths Gnat 6 x tippet and a 8'5" Scott 4wt. The Rainbows were all over 10 lbs with the biggest one almost 15 lbs. When back to the Five weight Sage for the rest of the week. Now all my fly rods were top of the line back when I bought them in 1983- 87. I have around 20 Rods. I have not looked at a new fly rod or reel in 24 years. The bottom line is you have to cast them some to decide what you want. Buy good stuff and take reasonable care of it and you will be able to fish a life time. The money I spent on mine has long since been forgotten. Flies well that what fly tying is for.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"The bottom line is you have to cast them some to decide what you want. Buy good stuff and take reasonable care of it and you will be able to fish a life time."

Absolutely terrific advice! Thank you for posting that.

Regards, Guy

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
3 & 4 wt. rods aren't designed for big, heavy flys on windy waters. I expect it can be done and no doubt there are those sho have done it. Small flys on usually tiny wters is where rods of that weight excel. Stay with the heavier rods for big bug fishing and windy conditions. All the light rods will do is frustrate you. At least that's been my experience in 40 odd years of fishing with the long rod.

My favorite and most often used lines, well, they're about all I've used for the past 5-7 years, are Thebault and Terenzio, DT silk lines and silk leaders. They aren't for everone but for me their attributes are unsurpassed.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Are these 3 and 4 weight rods not as stiff as the 8 and 9 weights, or is there other differences?

With fly rods, "stiff" or "soft" is refering to the "action" of the rod. In other words how it bends. A 3 weight can be made to bend all the way through the blank or just at the tip. Same for a 7wt, 10wt or 15wt.

How a rod bends is different than how much "power" (for lack of a better word) the rod has. A full flexing 9wt is substantially more powerful than a "stiff" fast actioned 3wt. It has to be because it has to move a lot more weight. The relative amount of power a rod has is more or less covered by the line it's rated to cast so people don't talk about it very much.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
With you being in bass country I have to say. After catching several large (for Kansas) bass (4-6lbs). Throwing small poppers and sponge bugs on a 3 weight for 8-10" bluegill and hybrids is about as good as it gets. Definitely something to give a try if you want to stay closer to the bank on a windy way and have a blast.

Nick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 7' 3 wt TFO that I use for panfish, and trout with dry's. I use my 8 1/2' 5 wt the most, whether I'm fishing for trout here in Montana and or crappies or bass in Minne.

From the bass fishing I've done I see no reason to use anything more than a 5/6 weight but that's just my way. I've caught quite a few pike on my 5 wt and it's done fine.

When I fish for pike/musky then I break out the 9 or 10 wt. My 9 is a 20 year old Sage, and my 10 is a 3 year old TFO.

For my money I totally luv the TFO brand!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Where the three and four weight rods really shine is on flat water fishing to spooky fish.
Also fishing light tippet (6-7X) to fish that require it. I have a friend that fishes gin clear lakes with 3-4 weight rod to large trout. He lands 8+ LB fish on 6and7X tippet.
I will agree they aren't worth a damn for large flys or fishing in the wind.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 59 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.