Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okok
I remember getting a full roll of caps and banging the chit out of them with a big ass rock...ears would ring for hours. crazy

Heck yes, I remember doing the same thing at recess in 2nd grade in the mid-seventies, without getting in trouble!

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I remember the little tiny fire crackers with the strings on
them. My dad and my uncles would put them in peoples cigarettes
when they werent looking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Jericho
I believe they were bigger than GI Joe dolls.
Action figures! mad

'Bout the time I was smashing caps with rocks at recess, I had Lone Ranger and Tonto action figures (though that term had yet to be coined) complete with their horses, Silver and Scout.

I recall overhearing my Dad talking to my Mom about me playing with dolls. It wasn't long after that comment from my Dad that I shelved The Lone Ranger and Tonto. I'd already managed to lose their six-guns anyway and even at that early age I was already aware that without guns things were much less interesting.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I also had Planet of the Apes action figures.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jericho
I also had Planet of the Apes action figures.
Now those would be worth a bunch. I wish I still had all my GI Joe stuff. I had a 1960s space capsule for GI Joe with a space suite and helmet. All kinds of GI Joe stuff.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember getting a full roll of caps and banging the chit out of them with a big ass rock...ears would ring for hours. crazy
Probably been five or six hours since then, eh? grin

<grin>

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Most of that stuff was so far after my time that I'd lost interest in it by then. But okok's comment about the smell of caps rings absolutely true. I can STILL fetch that smell memory to the front of my mind (an increasingly short trip) just by intent.

I can recall a toy that resembled a wooden mallet that had a shuttlecock-like top part. The top fit into the bottom, and you'd place a cap (or ten!) into the space between. Whack the thing on pavement, and the cap would go off, launching the shuttlecock into space - or so it seemed. Probably about 20 feet high.

I'm amazed that there have been no Flash Gordon posts. Unless those are before ALL your times.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
One of my friends had Evel Knievel action figures.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do they still sell the green stickie caps?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Most of that stuff was so far after my time that I'd lost interest in it by then. But okok's comment about the smell of caps rings absolutely true. I can STILL fetch that smell memory to the front of my mind (an increasingly short trip) just by intent.

I can recall a toy that resembled a wooden mallet that had a shuttlecock-like top part. The top fit into the bottom, and you'd place a cap (or ten!) into the space between. Whack the thing on pavement, and the cap would go off, launching the shuttlecock into space - or so it seemed. Probably about 20 feet high.

I'm amazed that there have been no Flash Gordon posts. Unless those are before ALL your times.

We had things that were shaped more like a mortor round. You put in a cap, threw it in the air, the heavy nose hit first, and the cap went off. It didn't fly in the air or anything. Also had a cap grenade. It had a pin and everything. When you threw it, the hinged handle flew open (not off) and that allowed the thing to snap shut on the cap, going off in the air shortly after release. Didn't seem too realistic to me.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably been five or six hours since then, eh? grin

<grin>

I used a hammer and a rock much better than the cap buster pistol we got for Christmas.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Way after my time as well, my cap guns took a whole roll and fed & popped em one at a time. No plastic either, nickle plated pot metal, grips & all.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think I thought about shooting my classmates either.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T LEE
Way after my time as well, my cap guns took a whole roll and fed & popped em one at a time. No plastic either, nickle plated pot metal, grips & all.

I always thought that the strip of fired caps curling out of the top of the "revolver" were an inaccurate travesty and kept them ripped off as soon as I could get ahold of the strip. I would get annonyed with those who cared nothing for historical accuracy and would allow a huge, disgusting roll to accumulate.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
I had the very same set up as a kid. You stuck a roll of red caps inside the gun, accessed by swinging the fake cylinder open, then feed the cap strip up under the hammer, then swing the gate closed again. Pot metal gun. Exact same gun.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yep, I had a Mattel shooting shell

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a pair of these by Kilgore.

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Heh. The old ads are still around, and they bring back some mighty sweet memories. youtube fanner 45 ad

"It's what they know that's just not so", often attributed to Mark Twain but that's just not so either
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by sansarc
Heh. The old ads are still around, and they bring back some mighty sweet memories. youtube fanner 45 ad
I would have loved that one. I was nuts for guns even as a kid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My cap gun took the roll of caps etc...

But I remember just as I was getting too old to play with them (yeah right lol) they had a revolver that you could put a ring of 6 plastic caps into it and the cylinder would spin and shoot them more like a regular gun or starter pistol.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 58 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,892
Posts18,518,350
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.