Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Been to Canada 20 times. Used to be they never messed with ya, now been pulled down the last 2 times I have been at the border??

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Works the same the other way too, my friend. I have family in the downriver area of Detroit, and have been given the once over several times going south. Has been since 9/11. Homeland security, I guess. confused

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for the Goose, good for the Gander. Try getting on a flight if you think land borders are tough.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sure miss the wave of the hand. I've even had problems getting back in!!Passports,declarations,searchs,and I get seniors discount. As........

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Try driving through border security post miles inside Texas as a canuck, no problems just 10 to 15 minutes and a good hard look at passports, the whole world is changing. GRF

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I am glad it is tougher. Check out the start points on 9/11 terrorists months prior. I for one would rather have it secure.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paranoia is wonderful for business.

Lester Roloff
M
M
Yeah I like secure but I think they have taken it to far. I have a DUI from when I was 22 thats 10 years ago and they treated me like I murdered somebody. Told me I was a low life criminal and they don't want my type in their country. Said they weren't going to let me in cause I'm a criminal. I tried to explain it was a YOUNG STUPID mistake and I didn't know it would cause a problem coming to Canada. He proceeded to call me an ignorant ass and thats what they would expect from an american criminal. After all that and putting me in 8x8 concrete room takeing pictures of me and dumping out all my bags and leaveing them there for me to put back together they FRICKIN let me in!!! When I left he said if I wasn't on the departing flight they would throw me in jail and to never return to Canada again without written papers from the Canadian Consulate. I would never go back for nothing! They made another fella sing the queen's song to get in! Bunch of BUTTHOLES up there if you ask me......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are all very happy that you are not coming back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fatjack34
I am glad it is tougher. Check out the start points on 9/11 terrorists months prior. I for one would rather have it secure.

WASHINGTON � John McCain is the latest high-profile politician to repeat the diehard American falsehood that the 9-11 terrorists entered the United States through Canada.

Just days after Janet Napolitano, the U.S. homeland security secretary, sparked a diplomatic kerfuffle by suggesting the terrorists took a Canadian route to the U.S. eight years ago, McCain defended her by saying that, in fact, the former Arizona governor was correct.

"Well, some of the 9-11 hijackers did come through Canada, as you know," McCain, last year's Republican presidential candidate, said on Fox News on Friday.

The Arizona senator's remarks prompted the Canadian embassy to immediately reissue remarks made earlier this week by Ambassador Michael Wilson, who reminded Americans once again that no 9-11 perpetrators came to the U.S. via Canada.

"Unfortunately, misconceptions arise on something as fundamental as where the 9-11 terrorists came from," Wilson said.

"As the 9-11 Commission reported in July 2004, all of the 9-11 terrorists arrived in the U.S. from outside North America. They flew to major U.S. airports. They entered the U.S. with documents issued to them by the U.S. government. No 9-11 terrorists came from Canada."

Embassy officials were also in touch with McCain's office to set the record straight. McCain recently visited the Canadian Embassy and had lunch with Wilson.

The normally reserved Wilson made his 9-11 remarks on Tuesday following a CBC interview in which Napolitano appeared to believe that the hijackers entered the U.S. from Canada.

She later said she had misunderstood a question asked during the interview and was well aware there had been no Canadian 9-11 connection, but added that the Canada-U.S. border had, in the past, posed a security risk to Americans.

The next day, Napolitano appeared at a border conference and suggested Canada was more lax in its immigration policies than the U.S., alleging Canadian authorities allow people into the country that would not pass muster south of the border.

Napolitano has also ruffled diplomatic feathers with her insistence that the Canadian border must not be treated any differently than the U.S.-Mexican boundary, where a drug war rages and countless illegal immigrants flood into America every year.

McCain expressed some sympathy for Canada on that front on Friday.

"The difference, obviously, is, with all due respect to the Mexicans, there's not corruption on our northern border," he told Fox News. "And, unfortunately, there is significant corruption, great corruption and drug cartels on our southern border."

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't have a problem with border security going either way,it's a fact of life these days.One thing I do have a problem with is the attitude that sometimes arises on either side of the border.Border guards on both sides have a considerable amount of power,and some don't exercise it very well.When minor bureaucrats hold that much power they sometimes think they are superior beings and act as such.So do building inspectors on occasion for that matter!That being said,I find most of the border personnel on both sides of the line to be professional and efficient. Monashee

Last edited by Monashee; 07/24/11.

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
n007;
I trust this finds you and yours well today sir.

I wanted to say a quick thank you for the excellent post regarding the origins of the 9-11 terrorists.

As we've traveled through the states, I've had to explain those facts gently to a few of our good neighbors to the south.

While I would never say that we are any more or less vigilant than any other country, in that instance, the evidence that I've been able to read didn't lead to any of them coming through our country.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week and many thanks again for the great post.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by n007
We are all very happy that you are not coming back.

grin

Randy

Lester Roloff
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In 2005 they pulled me aside coming into SK and informed me about a Misdemeanor from 24yrs ago, although I was allowed to enter being it was over 10yrs old.

Been hunting in Canada for 7 yrs straight with no issues. If you have a DUI and going there to hunt, 99% chance your not hunting.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a DUI 8 years ago here in Canada(haven't had a drink since that night!),It didn't affect my Montana antelope trip last year.USBS asked if I had a criminal record,I told him about the DUI(my only black mark),he asked to check my rifles and ATF paperwork and waved me through.I'm sure if I hadn't been up front with him I wouldn't have got through,they have ALL our information on their computers on both sides of the border. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Monashee
I had a DUI 8 years ago here in Canada(haven't had a drink since that night!),It didn't affect my Montana antelope trip last year.USBS asked if I had a criminal record,I told him about the DUI(my only black mark),he asked to check my rifles and ATF paperwork and waved me through.I'm sure if I hadn't been up front with him I wouldn't have got through,they have ALL our information on their computers on both sides of the border. Monashee

DUI is considered a felony(criminal)in Canada. It is not in the US, that's why you have the discrepencies in how Customs views the conviction.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last time I went south, about 3 months ago, I got questioned by 3 different teams of US border guards, ferry travel, the last set, on the USA side, asked if we had any fruit, unfortunately my wife hadn't listened to me, I know, I know, I am the only that has happened to.

The US border guards told us to pull over. Searched the car, the suitcases, confiscated the fruit, Oranges, my wife explained we didn't grow oranges in Canada and we were just returning them to the USA. Not helpful, border guard then wrote down our passport numbers, I guess we are now on the USA list of fruit terrorists.

That being said, their country they can do as they please with visitors, my choice to go there or not. Same applies when you go north, don't like, turn around and go back.

I traveled to NB on a bear hunt this past May. I crossed the border at Houlton, Maine. I brought my bow and a rifle with me. At the border, I told them about the rifle and they asked me to come inside to do the paper work. I paid the $28.00 and got stamped. They never inspectrd the rifle and everyone I dealt with was very helpful and professional. One girl even went out of her way to find me a map and highlight my route. Coming back, I found the same thing at the U.S. customs station. They checked my bear but never asked to inspect my rifle. Now, I'm sure there are some real DBs at border crossings from both countries but I bet a lot of the problems are brought on by a lack of respect shown by those crossing.

Last edited by WOODSMAN416; 07/25/11.
M
M
Originally Posted by WOODSMAN416
I traveled to NB on a bear hunt this past May. I crossed the border at Houlton, Maine. I brought my bow and a rifle with me. At the border, I told them about the rifle and they asked me to come inside to do the paper work. I paid the $28.00 and got stamped. They never inspectrd the rifle and everyone I dealt with was very helpful and professional. One girl even went out of her way to find me a map and highlight my route. Coming back, I found the same thing at the U.S. customs station. They checked my bear but never asked to inspect my rifle. Now, I'm sure there are some real DBs at border crossings from both countries but I bet a lot of the problems are brought on by a lack of respect shown by those crossing.

I agree your always going to have some bad ones mixed in with the good ones.Like ignorant fruit smugglers here. Just think its a little silly to treat someone so disrespectful with no provocation. I didn't know that a DUI was a felony in Canada and never saw it being an issue.

A
abc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I remember driving the Alaskan Highway every year in the 1970's. Up until June of 1978 one could carry a handgun to Alaska with a simple stop and the handgun was seal in a plastic bag and inspected at Beaver Creek, YK. I never had any problems either with the shortage of funds or my 70's hair length or dress.

Several times I have crossed the border when the gates were open and no one manned the stations (Tok, AK to Dawson City early October) and into Haines, Ak, just drove by. But things change, in 1971, I flew from Missoula, Mt to Billings, Mt to go hunting and put my rifle between my legs on the flight both ways.

The world is different now. We are starting to feel the effects of 7 billion people earthlings. Things are only going to tighten up more and more.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 16penny, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1936M71, 21, 55 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,024
Posts18,481,722
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.