Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kcTbear

Also, check this out. Safari slings are a great option for all day carrying.

[Linked Image]

I dunno about those damn things. My good buddy Jerry uses one. Bless his heart, he's a safe hunter but by design, muzzle discipline goes out the window with that method of carry.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Jeff O, don't mean to steer this thread off topic, but as this model doesn't show is that the canting of the muzzle can be shifted downward as well as upward by shifting the sling foward on your shoulder.
The sling is also very quick to shoulder the rifle.

Last edited by kcTbear; 07/27/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own 6 various 30mm S&B scopes, 1 Zeiss V/MV (2.5-10x50) and 1 Kahles (2.5x10x50) scope.

I would rate them all comparable to each other, but better to lower level scopes in that flare control, chromatic aberration and clarity are superior to lesser priced scopes. The S&Bs are particularly good in low light conditions IMNSHO.

All these scopes are multiples in price to the next tier down, so whether they are worth it or not is of course, very subjective.
I will say that since I bought my first S&B, I've never even considered buying "cheap" scopes again.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 07/27/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I took this pic at about 400 yards from the antelope. I don't think any glass could have cleaned up this image.

[Linked Image]

I get it, that some glass is better than others. Conditions can wreck an image regardless (mirage, haze, low light, sun angle, etc).

I'm happy with good-enough glass, good durability/weather resistance, and repeatable turrets.

You're very wrong.

Apochromatic lenses can clean up the coloring. And proper coatings can control the chromatic aberration in your picture. I'm assuming of course that there was a lot of mirage on the day the pic was taken.

If no mirage was present, then a good lens could pick the separate hairs out.

Wass this shot from a tripod, or handheld? That alone would make a big difference!

Last edited by mrmarklin; 07/27/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Carl Zeiss was one of the founders of Schott, as I understand it. I was going to post a link of how the 2 companies are related but my Blackberry won't allow it. Maybe after work.

I do know that Zeiss is the sole shareholder of Schott AG.

Either way, I'd say it is safe to say that Zeiss has the inside track to Schott's best glass.......

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 300MAG
5-6 ounces is just 2 tampons less in my pack!!
If you say so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exactly Stoney - LOL!!!!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 07/28/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, from what I can tell, Schott is now owned by Zeiss. Even though they carry on as separarte entities, the Carl Zeiss Foundation owns both Zeiss and Schott.......

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
mrmarkilin, you have to consider that the camera being used is going to affect a photo as well. The image first hand will be different from adding another optical element for photography purposes.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
2muchgun,

It's a confusing situation, but yes, the Carl Zeiss Foundation owns Schott Glass.

But the Foundation is different than Carl Zeiss Inc., and apparently both Zeiss and Schott have hundreds of subsidiaries around the world--and apparently some of the subsidiaries are owned by different companies than Zeiss.

One of the interesting tidbits I found is this:

SCHOTT Gemtron Corporation (Sweetwater, Tenn.) is a joint venture of AGC Flat Glass North America, Inc. and the majority shareholder SCHOTT. AGC is a subsidiary of Asahi Glass Co. Ltd. SCHOTT is a technology-driven, international group that sees its core purpose as the lasting improvement of living and working conditions through special materials and high-tech solutions. SCHOTT�s Flat Glass business has operations in Europe, Asia, South America, and North America, with SCHOTT Gemtron serving North American customers.

Asahi, as you probably know, is a major player in Japan's optics industry.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Ringman
How 'bout taking a 1/4" metal tape measure and measure your bicepts. Then move the tape out 21% and wrap that around your bicepts. That huge gapping difference is what one sees if I set the tape measure on the size my arms used to be and the size they are now.

Go to the doc, get some testosterone, and hit the weights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah it is confusing. And somewhat interesting also. They both definitely operate on a global basis.

I think it was Schott that I read had facilities in over 40 countries.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, and they make all sorts of stuff.

One interesting piece of scuttlebutt I've heard through my contacts in the optics industry is about lead-free glass, which is required now due to environmental laws in some European countries. Leaded glass, however, is still considered a little superior.

China doesn't have any such laws, and some companies are having their lenses made out of Chinese glass, cut and ground in China. All that's being done at the other factories is the lens coatings. This is apparently still legal since they aren't cutting or grinding the lenses, which results in illegal lead-glass waste. Dunno if the Schott plant in China makes leaded optical glass, however.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The clarity...... talk is just gack in the daylight.
With the big 3.
In twilight/lowlight.
Its still S&B.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
I took this pic at about 400 yards from the antelope. I don't think any glass could have cleaned up this image.

[Linked Image]

I get it, that some glass is better than others. Conditions can wreck an image regardless (mirage, haze, low light, sun angle, etc).

I'm happy with good-enough glass, good durability/weather resistance, and repeatable turrets.

You're very wrong.

Apochromatic lenses can clean up the coloring. And proper coatings can control the chromatic aberration in your picture. I'm assuming of course that there was a lot of mirage on the day the pic was taken.

Wass this shot from a tripod, or handheld? That alone would make a big difference!

Mirage was wicked. No glass can clean that up. That was my point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would be interested in knowing what companies were using this glass.

I read on Schott's site that they are supplying all the bullet proof glass for China's new high speed trains as well as the glass for the EDMs for China's new nuclear reactor.

They have a lot of irons in a lot of different fires.....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

[Linked Image]

You're very wrong.

Mirage was wicked. No glass can clean that up. That was my point.

Mirage was my thought when I first saw that photo. It seems to me that the better the scope and higher the power, the more mirage one sees.

That speed goat is set up for a classic Texas Heart Shot. Pretty nice set of horns.

DF

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes, MM, and you've hit on another point. Atmosheric conditions do limit the use of even the best glass. It gets even more complicated after the sun sets. What happens is that the light availiable for one's eyes to use varies widely from day to day and even hour to hour.
I find it fascinating that the posts so far seem to be all about which scope make is better or best. This does not take into account the various levels of coatings used by some makers or the difference that objective size makes.
Last of all, nobody is putting numbers or examples as to what can and can't be seen with these scopes.
For my uses, if I can see small bullet holes at 100 yds in daylight and well enough to ID a target in the dark, that's plenty good enough.
Is another point that isn't under consideration or being discussed. Just what are the tradeoffs that one makes to have this "super sharp" scope ? E

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for all the feedback fellas!
I ordered a Diavari 3-12x56. It's specd at only 17.9oz, which was more in line with what I wanted than the others. I don't really care for the large size, but maybe I'll change my mind once I look through it.

Y'all have a good one,

loder

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What'll you do when you figure out it's a new glasses prescription you need? grin

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,930
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.