Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Neither side wants to deal with the problem. The only difference is the rhetoric.

At this point, it's all about which side has to pay the biggest political price for what both sides have already agreed to.

,...just another partisan dog and pony show.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
just got a blackberry message from the House floor....looks like the wheels are coming off:

"I'm watching the floor. This has all become so ridiculous.

As it stands right now, the Senate is going to vote this down. We'll be here this weekend, and then;Debtmageddon.

Best,"

name withheld to protect sender

None of them give a [bleep]. I swear most of them don't care about the debt - so what, we lower our debt from $14 trillion to $10 trillion? We still will NEVER be able to cut enough expenses, or raise enough revenue, to EVER get back to no debt. They know it, and are resigned to that fact. Meanwhile, I'm resigned to the fact that I need to work my azz off to make sure my boys won't grow up holding a sign on a street corner...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Just saying....

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
and those CBO projections on the graph show you just how meaningless long term "deficit reduction plans" are.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting graph I'd say... a roadmap to ruin kind of thing.

The CBO projections of course tell you where you are headed with a given set of economic assumptions. The lower parts of the graph show you where two recessions put a serious dent in revenues and prolonged what would have otherwise been our schedule for paying off our operating debt. IOW where those assumptions fell short.

The stuff above it? The wall of shame. The drivers of our current deficit disaster. Gives one a pretty good idea where to start when it comes to straightening things out I'd say.

Will

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

House Republicans are just wasting their time debating Speaker John Boehner�s debt reduction bill, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said today.

�Boehner�s bill dies tonight,� Reid communications director Adam Jentleson wrote on Twitter. �Forever.�

The House of Representatives is expected to vote on the legislation today. Reid said Thursday afternoon he plans to put the bill up for a vote in the Senate afterwards.

�As soon as the House completes its vote, the Senate will move to take up that bill,� Reid said, �and it will be defeated tonight.�

�No Democrat will vote for a short-term Band-Aid that would put our economy at risk and put the nation back in this untenable situation a few short months from now,� he said.

Michael Steel, a spokesman for Boehner, shot back in an email to The Daily Caller: �House Republicans will vote today on a second bill to raise the debt limit and end this crisis, while Senate Democrats have failed to pass any bill to do so. Why can�t Senate Democrats say �yes� to this reasonable, responsible and bipartisan solution?�

http://dailycaller.com/2011/07/28/reid-spokesman-%E2%80%98boehners-bill-dies-tonight%E2%80%99/

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
just got a blackberry message from the House floor....looks like the wheels are coming off:

"I�m watching the floor. This has all become so ridiculous.

As it stands right now, the Senate is going to vote this down. We�ll be here this weekend, and then�Debtmageddon.

Best,"

name withheld to protect sender

Steve, looks like your message was accurate.

Boehner Delays Vote - TPM

Despite a days-long push to force their conservative members into line, and sneak Speaker John Boehner's (R-OH) debt limit bill through the House of Representatives, GOP leadership has postponed a scheduled vote on the legislation -- a sign that their efforts have thus far failed.

This evening, members were alerted that Boehner and his leadership team were delaying the vote, which had been scheduled for 6 p.m.

"Members are advised that the House GOP Leadership has postponed the votes on the motion to recommit and final passage of S. 627 - Speaker Boehner's Short Term Default Act (amending the Faster FOIA Act of 2011)," reads a notice from Minority Whip Steny Hoyer's (D-MD) office to his whip team.

The measure could still come up for a vote late Thursday, but not until the House holds a series of back to back votes on unrelated issues.

The announcement landed well after U.S. markets closed.

Last edited by NeBassman; 07/28/11. Reason: updated information

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That being the case the way out is pretty obvious ain't it? Assuming nobody figured it out before.

Will

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mike762
but there IS a very real debt/deficit problem, and it only requires a trigger to become a very real crisis. IMO, the D's have provided that trigger.

Nobody here is arguing that point. In fact, we should have passed a balanced budget amendment 30 years ago. But his argument has not been about the DEBT. In fact he wants MORE debt. Their whole crisis argument has been a debt DEFAULT. In other words, the US fails to pay the interest on someone's bond holding. And there is absolutely ZERO chance that under ANY circumstance that has to happen- with or without one of these so called plans in place. The interest on the debt is $29 billion and the August revenues will top $200 billion. Even if you pay SS, medicare,medicaid, the military and the VA on top of the debt interest, there is STILL $40 billion left. In other words, unless Obama intentionally chooses to pay for some idiotic, useless discretionary program over the debt interest, no default can happen. This is nothing more than yet another magic trick.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
There is a huge downside for the GOP. Public opinion is clearly on Obama's side in this debate, by a 3:1 margin according to a poll I saw on Fox yesterday. The Tea Tards are seen as holding our economy hostage, trying to enforce their will on the entire country. Extortion comes to mind, and the public is tired of it. They will be hunted down and shot like rabid animals, and justly so. Just speaking figuratively, of course.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well by all means then, let's vote Obama and burn this bitch down

maybe we'll get it right next time, if there's to be a next time.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what again is Obama's plan? Why hasn't Reid put his plan up for a vote in the Senate?

Carpe' Scrotum
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Paddler
The Tea Tards are seen as holding our economy hostage,

The Federal Reserve is holding America's economy hostage.

Any other conclusion one may draw is due to propaganda.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've said it before but I'll tell you guys what's gonna happen. The Republican bill will die in the Senate and the Democrat bill will die in the House and there will be nothing left. The dictator will pull his 14th amendment parlor trick out and increase the debt ceiling on his own. Then he will claim he had to do it because the Republicans wouldn't negotiate and were pushing us into the next great depression. Mark my words.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well he is quite the hero OP, sounds about right, he's here to save us from ourselves! lololol

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And no one will by 14th amendment T-bills. At least not at less than double digit interest rates to cover the risk that SCOTUS will call them unconstitutional...

Carpe' Scrotum
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
nearly every one who posts here are caught up in gov't school rhetoric, it seems like?

what is the base line? why, the productive potential of the Urth itself, of course.

we can mine minerals, fish, farm, practice forestry, and apply technology. what a concept.

everything else is bally-hoo theactrics. the demopublicans don't seem to care much about a healthy environment. they're into taxes to utilize for their own benefit. yes, the publicans love taxes too, otherwise they'd lobby for almost no taxes. grin

debt ceilings are imaginary. don't believe it? then, just ask the Red Chinese. they're in the game.

ho-hum, i gotta go to the newest Wal-mart store in my community. i'm looking for a quality, low-cost lawn mower, push-type. grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't have much debt. What debt I have has a long term fixed interest rate. At this point in my life, I would welcome some higher interest rates with open arms. Maybe saving money could be a winning proposition again.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I've said it before but I'll tell you guys what's gonna happen. The Republican bill will die in the Senate and the Democrat bill will die in the House and there will be nothing left. The dictator will pull his 14th amendment parlor trick out and increase the debt ceiling on his own. Then he will claim he had to do it because the Republicans wouldn't negotiate and were pushing us into the next great depression. Mark my words.

You may well be correct, OP. And indeed, the Repubs will be held responsible, as they truly are to blame. Tying the increase in the debt limit to the budget was an entirely Republican machination in order to extract cuts to programs they never liked anyway. Now, they want to get more cuts, but no tax increases, in return for increasing the debt limit by a small amount which will guarantee we deal with the same issue in a few months. Then, they will pull the same sh*t again.

The people agree with Obama on this, and the Republicans currently occupy the low ground. It's like Pickett's charge, and they will sustain heavy losses. I hope it exceeds the 50% casualties the Confederates sustained that day. What was that saying about those who don't learn from history? It's game over, Boner. Time to come to the table with taxes on the wealthy, ending the oil company subsidies and closing tax loopholes. Then the American public will believe you're not just a grandstanding *sshole.

Last edited by Paddler; 07/28/11.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
So what again is Obama's plan? Why hasn't Reid put his plan up for a vote in the Senate?

Their plan all along has been to pretend to have a plan, let the Republicans put up their's, vote it down and demonize them. That way, they maximize their time in front of the microphones and cameras making out conservatives as the bad guy. This ENTIRE quagmire has been nothing but a PR campaign. Bet on it. And unfortunately, when you have a pathological liar in the White House, and you're in a spin war, he wins.

MOLON LABE
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (06hunter59, 160user, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 22250rem, 56 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,134
Posts18,523,194
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.