Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I'd figure with all the big game she's processed she'd know exactly where she needs to place her bullet to get those kinds of results. KUDOS to her!

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, she pretty much knows where to shoot them--and never shoots unless she's very sure that's where the bullet is going. Hard to beat that!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well she must have been taught correctly. You can't trade ethics for bullet weight or speed. That's what we all should strive for.
A few years with a bow will also teach you that.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Maybe, maybe not. I know some "bowhunters" who take too many chances....

But anybody who SERIOUSLY bowhunts for a while will become a much better rifle hunter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Maybe, maybe not. I know some "bowhunters" who take too many chances....

But anybody who SERIOUSLY bowhunts for a while will become a much better rifle hunter.

Ain't that the dang truth.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife Eileen has killed a bunch of big game animals with the .270--and I mean big game, not deer, such as elk, moose and bison. She has never used a bullet heavier than 150 grains, and the biggest animal she's killed (a cow bison that weighed 900-1000 pounds) was taken with a 130-grain Barnes TSX. It went the farthest of any BIG game she's shot with the .270, just about 40 yards. The bull moose she shot with the 150-grain Partition took about a step and a half before piling up. Would heavier bullets have killed them quicker?

Yes, of course they would have! wink

I don't wanna joust with you about this. You are happy with your choices, and I am happy for you. I'm just posting about my experiences and preferences. Personally I hunt with "standard" calibers and I aim to plant the animal on the ground right where it stands, not necessarily to "conserve meat" or "heart shot" or any other old addage. My preferred shot placement is broadside ON the shoulder midway up or a bit higher. IME light-for-caliber bullets will not handle this shot placement reliably, but slightly heavy-for-caliber bullets will. I typically define "slightly heavy-for-caliber" as SD >= 0.28. Standard grade .277" 130 grain bullets at around 3100 fps have failed to penetrate sufficiently for me for this shot placement, as have .257" 120 grain bullets at around 2800 and .284" 145 grain bullets at around 2700. OTOH, all the .284" bullets of 160 or 175 grains weight at 2400-2600 fps have worked perfectly. After the shot the animal travels about 2 feet - straight down - with their feet still in the tracks they were standing in. Other bullets that have provided this performance for me are .264" 140 grain and .308" 180 grain.

MD, I realize you have killed more and more varied game animals than I (and I'm a bit jealous). I'm not arguing with your success, or Eileen's. I'm just telling folks here at the fire what works for me.

By the way, I already have a cookbook by Eileen - from NAHC. It's a good one too.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We have used the same shot quite frequently when we want animals to be anchored--though we don't use it most of the time, because it does shoot up meat.

I would say the key to your statement is "standard grade" bullets. I agree that a sectional density of .280 is a good idea when taking the shoulder/spine shot with such bullets--but the bullet that started this thread is a Nosler Partition, which isn't a standard-grade bullet.

We have used "premium" bullets to shoulder/spine anchor deer, elk, caribou, and various African animals, and the bullets generally did not have SD's of .280 or higher, whether made by Barnes, Nosler, Norma, Remington, Speer, etc. etc.

Yes, heavier bullets are more reliable on that sort of shot, but so are lighter bullets, if they're built right. Your point is valid, but the thread wasn't about standard-grade bullets.

That NAHC version of the venison cookbook was something of a mystery to us for a while. The original "trade" edition had been out for a few years, when suddenly Eileen got a check from for a title she hadn't written. There was no explanation from the publisher, and she couldn't get one either (it's a British-owned firm that evidently believes the less the writers know the better). Finally she found a copy of the NAHC version at a used book store, and the mystery was solved. Glad you like it!

Good hunting,
John

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know a lot of you don't agree but, I like to shoot my bullets right at 3000 fps +/-. At that velocity standard bullets just don't seem to hold together. I have used 130 gr. Rem. core-lokt, Nos. part. and Speer GS with good results. I also always hold hold tight behind the shoulder. I have found that they almost always drop in their tracks. Every animal I've shot throught the shoulder has run a ways before dropping and some meat loss. For me the best shot for non dangerous game is behind the shoulder. That is just my opinion and experience. I know a lot on here disagree.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That NAHC version of the venison cookbook was something of a mystery to us for a while. The original "trade" edition had been out for a few years, when suddenly Eileen got a check from for a title she hadn't written. There was no explanation from the publisher, and she couldn't get one either (it's a British-owned firm that evidently believes the less the writers know the better). Finally she found a copy of the NAHC version at a used book store, and the mystery was solved. Glad you like it!

Do you mean they printed Eileen's material without permission and without an agreement as to payment, and then sent you a check of their own chosen amount? Well, that's...different. Actually, the book I have is entitled "Wild Game Cookbook" and contains more than just venison recipes. There is a recipe in there that actually makes wild, fresh-water salmonids almost edible.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah, that's actually her first cookbook, co-written with Sil Strung.

Such publications are considered "book club" sales, and are permitted under the contract. The reason we were puzzled is that nobody at the publishing company told us what was happening. When Eileen first started writing for them they were locally owned (in Minnesota) and communicasted very well. She eventually wrote 5 cookbooks for them. But toward the end the British firm bought the company, and they became very uncooperative.

They even refused to sell Eileen cookbooks to sell ourselves. That's pretty much standard practice for all publishing companies. They'll sell books to the author at the dealer discount, around 50% of list price. But once the Brits took over that was all over--another reason among several that we started publishing our own books.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thought I would revive this thread rather than starting from scratch......

How does the performance/penetration of the 160 Partition compare with some of the lighter monometals such as the 130 grain TTSX? I am interested in trying the 160, but my rifle shoots the TTSX's extremely well and I have yet to recover one.

Thanks,
Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My wife Eileen has killed a bunch of big game animals with the .270--and I mean big game, not deer, such as elk, moose and bison. She has never used a bullet heavier than 150 grains, and the biggest animal she's killed (a cow bison that weighed 900-1000 pounds) was taken with a 130-grain Barnes TSX. It went the farthest of any BIG game she's shot with the .270, just about 40 yards. The bull moose she shot with the 150-grain Partition took about a step and a half before piling up. Would heavier bullets have killed them quicker?

Chetaf, the answer.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Thought I would revive this thread rather than starting from scratch......

How does the performance/penetration of the 160 Partition compare with some of the lighter monometals such as the 130 grain TTSX? I am interested in trying the 160, but my rifle shoots the TTSX's extremely well and I have yet to recover one.

Thanks,
Chet

I have never seen a factory load using the 160gr Parition in the 270. So you must hand load. You may want to try a few, maybe your rifle won't like them and its back to the TTSX!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Conley Precision sells ammunition loaded with the 270 Win/160 Nosler at 2850 fps.

http://www.cpcartridge.com/270winP.htm

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2850 is a rocking, can't imagine that round staying in most anything..grin

I do like that bullet, good friend had a 5 pt bull standing facing away in the timber. He dropped the hammer and the bullet went in by the tail and exited it's chest. Mr bull bounced fairly well.

I used to run it at 2800 with R22, wasn't much I didn't feel I could do with the round. Still feel pretty much that way.

Have a super day all, I'm taking my oldest G-son for a day in the Beartrap (Madison) ripping lips and grills some pollo.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well this thread was interesting to say the least. Back in 74 I went Moose hunting for the third time to Newfoundland. I took two guns, I learned my lesson on that. One of my rifles didn't get to came. But the 270 did and well My load were 4831 and some 160 gr Nosler Partitions. After a week of hard hunting I had gotten a shot. Killed the moose just fine, I still have a box and a half of those hand loads and a half of box of those 160's they were made on a screw machine. Not as accurate by today's standards. But never the less they were plenty accurate out of that Weatherby Vangard I had. I didn't get my other rifle back, it just showed up the afternoon I was leaving. I never found 130 gr bullets lacking in a 270, they shot well, my guess a little less recoil, and inch or two flatter. Just that the 130gr weight goes with the 270 like ham and eggs.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just that the 130gr weight goes with the 270 like ham and eggs.

Exactly!!!

An old packer years ago told me to use a good 130 grain bullet for everything from horseflies to elephants..And he was right..I have never found the 130 Nosler to lack on any game I have shot at any angle.It always get's 'er done even stem to stern when things go south at ignition.

Jayco

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
doubletap ammo sells 160 and 150 paritions ammo on line!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter

Exactly!!!

An old packer years ago told me to use a good 130 grain bullet for everything from horseflies to elephants..And he was right..I have never found the 130 Nosler to lack on any game I have shot at any angle.It always get's 'er done even stem to stern when things go south at ignition.

Jayco

Makes one wonder what a 260 with 125 Partition or 130 AB/TSX might can do smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logcutter

Exactly!!!

Jayco

I have blown 130gr Nosler partitions to shreads on broadside chest shots on whitetail deer with a 270 Winchester. I found nothing larger than little flecks of lead and jacket metal.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,299 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.