-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there a mosquito in the room? Does anyone have a fly swatter?

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paddler
The Tea Tards are seen as holding our economy hostage, trying to enforce their will on the entire country.

I wouldn't say that; more it's a game of political brinksmanship and it's unclear where advantage will fall when its all over. In retrospect sort of like trying to fill an inside straight.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Judging by their actions, it appears that the Dems want a deadlock that partially or mostly shuts down the government. That is the most plausible explanation for Obama torpedoing the agreement that was made by insisting on much higher taxes after the deal was reached.

The hope is that they will gain politically, as they did last time.

I don't think it will work nearly as well this time. For one thing, people want spending cuts. And second, it is blindingly obvious that nobody but the House has put forward any kind of realistic plan.

So if that supposition is true, what we have here is an administration that is willing to crash the economy to gain political advantage. That, plus they are willing to get people killed by shipping guns to criminals in order to advance their agenda. Not too pretty when you add it up.

Obama's Strongly Disapprove rating is ramping up sharply, and is now around 45%. He's not winning. Congress's approval rating has hit an all time low of 6%. It's not clear to me that this is winning them any points.

Last edited by denton; 07/28/11.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They don't want a govt shutdown bud. Govt is their religion. They want just the opposite. There is a plan B and Obama has it in his back pocket. It's already been pimped by Clinton. Obama can unilaterally raise the debt ceiling, on his own, by butchering the 14th amendment.

So one of two things will happen. The Republicans will cave and the Democrats win or Obama raises the debt ceiling without their consent, as a true dictator would. But what is certain is that they will push the drama to the last minute. That fills everyone with tension and fear.

Then when Obama rides in on his white horse, he will have saved everyone yet again from financial calamity. Don't think for a second that this is anything but an election campaign show for Obama. At that point the tension will have been so high that everyone will be relieved that it is over.

But at the end of the day, when the smoke clears and the dust settles... one thing will remain. We will have allowed him to create his master piece crisis illusion again. A we will be left with a higher debt ceiling so that they can immediately start spending more of our money again.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me that Reid is running the strategy and Obama is just ducking, like flipping on tax increases. (Or are they loophole-closing spending reductions.) Then he can give his imprimatur to any measure that can pass House and Senate and congratulate himself. Avoids the possibility of catching hell from backing a failure.

Reid seems to be angling for pure political advantage by coming up with something that will pass both houses and claim to be the rational adult to the Tea Party fanatics. A crap shoot but that's what politicians do. Who wins depends on public perception when the dust settles, which IS politics of course. Pity.

Best stolen line is that Democrats demand a long term limit to encourage economic stability. Never mind tax and spending uncertainty.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That 14th Amendment thing is fraught with peril. Obama has proven to be risk adverse.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good points nighthawk

imo especially the point about public perception

you have a group of Americans that need/want their gov't cheese, Obama's got them in his pocket

you have a group, that are struggling mightily to pay their bills with ever increasing costs for the things they use, like FOOD & OIL products and pay their taxes, the main perception they will get is the slant they get on it from the MSM as they wolf down their dinner and then go crash hard, so they can get up and hit it again in the a.m.

and then you have the liberal elite, they're in Obama's pocket too, no matter their incomes, there'll be escape hatches for them, didja see how many are exempt from Obamacare?? lol

and lastly you have those taxpayers that can afford the luxury of time(most expensive thing we ever purchase is time) to educate themselves beyond the spin of the MSM

it looks to me like we're outnumbered, would surprise me none that most Americans support Obama

let him drive it I say, all the way into the wall

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apparently, they are about 2-3 votes short in the House. So, it's time to pull out the threats and bribes... no worry, they get that turd passed yet.

MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What a circus! It's DOA in the Senate, and they can't even get the POS passed in the house when they have a majority. It's Game, Set, Match, Mr. Boner.

Last edited by Paddler; 07/28/11.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Wonder why African American middle class unemployment numbers have soared since the magic negro has been in office. Nevermind,just read the above post. I guess clueless dumbasses still get to vote.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by watch4bear
If you weren't so silly, you'd know we weren't a state until 1959. We even have bits of infrastructure now. Did you ever learn to crap in the woods? Some here still do. Heck, I still drive 80 miles a day, cause we have no bridge to shorten my drive to 20.

1) Yes, I did learn to crap in the woods, probably before you were born.

2) Regardless of when Alaska became a state or its infrastructure situation, it does not have a god given right to bleed the US taxpayer through pork barrel politician's votes. (And neither does any other state.)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You'll make a conservative one day...maybe.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Regardless of all the crap that is being said (by both parties, the Administration, the Press, and here on the forum, three things remain in the forefront:

1) The debt ceiling needs to be raised to avoid default and the economic consequences that will follow.

2) We DO need to cut spending by reducing Federal budgets. Entitlements need to be cut (this includes Social Security, Medicare, and veterans pensions and benefits).

3) Revenues need to be raised and dedicated to paying down the debt (retiring or paying off Treasury notes). I do not advocate raising the tax rates, but certainly some of the loopholes (depletion allowances and some other write-offs could be eliminated)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Entitlements need to be cut (this includes Social Security,

Can you have your democrats send me what I have already paid in, and we'll just call it even?

MOLON LABE

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
What if the "looming threat" of the debt ceiling needing to be raised is just a ploy? Who really knows what happens if they ignore the timer and don't press the button?

If I were near bankruptcy and couldn't afford the payments on the interest on my debt, would you guys tell me to go get "one more" credit card to help pay, or ask me to renegotiate the terms of existing debt to avoid bankruptcy?

Why not leave the ceiling where it is and slash federal spending BECAUSE we're over our limit?

I honestly don't know, because I've become cynical about those who scream at me for my wallet because of some "crisis looming" all the time. Couldn't it all just be a big bluff?

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

Can you have your democrats send me what I have already paid in, and we'll just call it even?

I'm 36 and I'd be happy to let them KEEP what I've put in if I didn't have to continue. I can definately invest my money better than they can... surprise, surprise...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd be happy to let them KEEP what I've put in

Oh NO, thats what the bastards are hoping for.

MOLON LABE

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I

================

Forget that,Mike. I'll let them keep all mine,every dime, in exchange for me not having to contribute any longer.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yaknow, what little I've read of you here you show great promise efw.

the fact you're only 36 gives me hope, and yet with knowledge pain is often it's companion.

ignorance really is bliss, just think of all the folks that think life is going to go on like we've known it for the foreseeable future?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Then they get off without any penalty.

MOLON LABE

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,124
Posts18,523,002
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.