Print Thread
Hop To
L
lochsa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I drew a muzzleloader tag for deer this fall (Nov 1-15). The area includes these three units. I've hunted the Owyhees for years but never had the opportunity to hunt this area.

Does anyone have any info on these units? Deer numbers? Hunting pressure? Access during this time of year? If you have any specific information, please send PM. I'd like to do some scouting this summer/fall.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That late the bucks should allbe down low. Some of the Ranches on the S side of the Rogerson/Jarbidge road would be good.

I would also check out the Almo area (near the City of Rocks). There are some huge mulies living on Independence and Cache peaks that migrate down when the snow comes.

Regardless, I would stick to lowland public ground or private ranches. The alfalfa fields will be worthy of a look. If you're polite (and generally don't ask on Sunday) the farmers/ranchers in that country will almost always give permissioon,

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've hunted all 3 quite a bit.
55 has some good ones but there's a LOT of private land that locks up the good areas behind it. I've hunted the City of Rocks area but with limited luck.

54 is very popular but since it's a draw hunt, hunter numbers are fairly decent. Shoshone Basin east of Rogerson has a lot of deer but not too many big ones. There are roads all over the place. It's a popular ATV recreation area so get used to them. The deer have. Most guys don't take them off the roads because there are so many old rough roads to play on.

47 is small and access is limited. The main access points are the Brown's Bench road just west of Salmon Dam and the Lime Creek/Wilson Creek road. Like was said before, that late in the year stay low. They'll be in some of the draws around the ranches.

In 47 in particular, take note of Idaho's trespass law. There is a lot of private range that can't be distinguished from public land. Even the forest rangers need detailed maps to figure it out. So...if private range land isn't farmed or irrigated, ie range land, it MUST be posted or it's open to hunting without permission. Fences don't mean anything. The regs list specific methods of posting

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
lochsa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks RC and Dog Hunter. All of the information is appreciated. I've spent more time in 54 than the others but never that time of year.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A friend's son drew youth tags twice in 54 a few years ago. Both times he got nice bucks in the rimrocks above the Rock Creek road south of Hansen. Getting up there is nasty from the pavement but there are back roads that will get into the general area.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,763
Posts18,515,266
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.