Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by taz4570
They only respond to large checks or wads of cash.

+1 mad

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have seen some nice bulls just south of the Wyoming-Colorado border while driving up to Cheyenne.

Nels
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

USMC
Life Member VFW
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a "flatland" elk I shot along the Purgatoire river.

[Linked Image]

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have hunted elk in 'flatland' areas, if you could call it that, as far east in Colorado as Elbert. It could be more accurately characterized as foothills terrain, with bluffs, drainages, timber covered covered slopes, and open sagebrush, grass, and scrub oak flats. Elevations are in the 5000-7000' range. Took a cow elk SE of Castle Rock, E. of the interstate, several years ago. I often see elk both east and west of the interstate between Pueblo and Colorado Springs.

I used to live west of I25, southwest of Castle Rock, near Perry Park. Elk were frequent visitors, and I hunted them along Tomah Road. A few years ago, a neighbor of mine took a very nice 6x6 bull a few miles north of Pueblo, along Fountain Creek east of I25.

As indicated, these areas are pretty much exclusively private land, and most of it is either tied up by outfitters, or on property where the owners do not allow hunting.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bea175
Flat land elk go to Arizona

Nah--we sent all the flat elk to Nebraska and Kentucky......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the last 2-3 weeks my wife and I have spotted elk between Franktown and Colorado Springs on the west side of #83 and east of Kiowa south of #86. Some nice bulls but private land.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just got back from the range. Someone hit a 5x Bull on Hodgon Road with thier car or truck last night, about 3 miles east of me here. From the looks of the debris, the vehickle didn't not come out of it very good either.
Full velvet yet and it looked like it had some growing to do yet.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I would not plan on seeing much for elk if you are looking into the east of I-25 area in Colorado. Very low numbers, not even enough to give a density statistic, possible yes but it is also possible for me to draw a sheep tag in every western state in the year 2012 too but will it really happen?
You will always here of elk being shot out there, I know a guy who shot a dandy 6 point from the castle rock area. It was on private but it happens. There is a herd in the monument/palmer divide area but its small and covers lots of ground, with zero public land and a large chunk of the private is subdivided into 5, 10, and 40 acre lots. Not exactly ideal hunting conditions.
Elk are also seen south of the springs along I-25 but those come off of Fort Carson and there is a OTC archery hunt there. The bad thing is that with the addition of thousands of new troops and troops returning home, they take up all of the sub-units hunting units on the base for training (they do have priority). It is a pain in the @$$ to hunt Ft. Carson with all of the additional requirments, regs, small sub-units etc.... but possible.

You will probably find some outfitter that has access to some large chunks of property that could offer elk hunts but even then I would be very suspicious of elk hunts in the plains east of I-25. Like previously stated the only reason they have seasons there is to eradicate elk to keep them from causing problems.

Hunting is where you prove yourself
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 3,065 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,378
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.