Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Is this an old firing pin or is it the replacement firing pin for a M100 Winchester?

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That my friend is an old style firing pin. I recently replaced mine and winchester is great to deal with. The new firing pin and guide look like this:

[Linked Image]

When you send it in you need to send in the bolt sleeve lock pin (firing pin guide) and they will send you a new style one with the new firing pin. Good luck.

Here's my post from a while ago:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5115576/1

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks BSA. I suppose I will start the process of getting a new pin and guide.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Notropis
Thanks BSA. I suppose I will start the process of getting a new pin and guide.

It's not a hard job to do and if you do it yourself they also send a gift card in the amount of $30.00 (make sure you save that money for an extractor though shocked cry). No just don't hotrod the m100 and you'll be good as gold with the extractor. I'm running 45 grains of RE 15 with 150 hornady interlocks (sp flat base), CCI 200 primers (large rifle), and R-P or Win brass. This load produces some very nice groups. Another word of caution, DON'T TAKE THE TRIGGER MECHANISM APART like I did. You'll have to make or buy slave pins and have a hell of a time getting the trigger lock mechanism in there right. The gas operating system and bolt that houses the firing pin is a breeze though. Looks like you already know that since your firing pin is already out. Good luck with it.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
..... they also send a gift card in the amount of $30.00 ...

HAH.. They tried that crap with me once.. Without my knowledge or consent.. It would only work once, for 3$, and never worked again.. I called the stupid-azzed credit union whence it originated.. Told 'em I wanted the remaining money and they could keep the card.. NO can do.. Tried calling a couple times.. Finally got a robot voice that said I'd be charged $5 if I wanted to 'talk to a human being'..

I called Winchester - told 'em my problems and they were kind enough to take that card back and remit a check - which they should have done in the first place.. When I return an old firing pin now I specify in writing that I DO NOT WANT a gift card - send check only..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
..... they also send a gift card in the amount of $30.00 ...

HAH.. They tried that crap with me once.. Without my knowledge or consent.. It would only work once, for 3$, and never worked again.. I called the stupid-azzed credit union whence it originated.. Told 'em I wanted the remaining money and they could keep the card.. NO can do.. Tried calling a couple times.. Finally got a robot voice that said I'd be charged $5 if I wanted to 'talk to a human being'..

I called Winchester - told 'em my problems and they were kind enough to take that card back and remit a check - which they should have done in the first place.. When I return an old firing pin now I specify in writing that I DO NOT WANT a gift card - send check only..

Sorry to hear you had problems. I just put mine in my name online and it worked great for me. The firing pin is working great too.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
[Linked Image], [Linked Image]

I got the pin and guide today and put them in with no problems. I will try it out at the farm in a day or two. Thank you folks for the help with my new toy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image], [Linked Image]

I got the pin and guide today and put them in with no problems. I will try it out at the farm in a day or two. Thank you folks for the help with my new toy.

Good deal, glad to hear it. Good luck with the old girl.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I took her out today for a while to sight in a new Leupold 3.5x10x40. I was shooting 150 Hornadies behind 42 grains of IMR 4895 in L.C. cases with WLR primers. The preliminary groups seemed quite promising.

I did have one failure to eject. The extractor actually tore a small chunk off the rim of the case. Several other cases showed marks from the extractor. I don't think the load is too hot. It chronoed around 2500 f/s. What would cause this? Could a rough chamber cause this? How is the best way to polish the chamber?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Notropis; 07/26/11.
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I looked more closely and found a broken extractor. I don't know whether that is the cause of the problem or the result of the problem. I have several on order from Numrich.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There are two variations of extractors - dependent upon the S/N of the rifle..

I hope you obtained the correct one..

But the reason it broke is because the chamber's fouled/rusty and it's holding onto the case - not a good thing when that bolt IS going backwards.

A complete disassembly's really the best way to get at the chamber to clean/polish it to a mirror finish. You must do that/have it done before you fire it again..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I thought that the chamber may be the problem. How is the best way to polish it?

Numrich has extractors for above about 119,000 and below about 119,000. Mine is about 25,000. I have ordered three of the below 119,000 versions.

Last edited by Notropis; 07/27/11.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I thought that the chamber may be the problem. How is the best way to polish it?
High-speed 3/8" drill with either a brass chamber brush on the end of a short section of cleaning rod, then wrap some 0000 steel wool around the brush, add some (in my case, cutting) oil and run that setup into the chamber at high speed for 30-60 secs... Remove, wipe clean, check the results, and do over if necessary.. IF you have some surface rust in there that won't come completely out with the steel wool, then chuck up a section of 1/4" dowel, slit the end and wrap up some 400-600 grit paper; enough so that insertion is 'snug', then add oil and polish again (do not hold in one place, move in/out while in motion)..

Clean, reassemble, and test fire.. Make SURE you run a cleaning patch down the full length of the bore before you test fire to remove any/all oil that may be in the bore..

Numrich has extractors for above about 119,000 and below about 119,000. Mine is about 25,000. I have ordered three of the below 119,000 versions.
Perfect..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I polished the chamber as instructed and installed one of the new extractors. Installation was quite easy. I will give a range report as soon as I am able.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm sure you are going to really like that rifle. Looks like it should be ready to rock and roll now. If you find your load is too hot you can always try my load of 45 gr. RE 15 in winchester or R-P brass, cci 200 primers, and about .020" off the lands. It works like gangbusters in mine.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I hope the load is not too hot. All the manuals I have read indicate that it is quite mild. I settled on the load as one for my Springfield M1A and got it from the Hornady #7 in the service rifle section for .308. It is about 1.5 grains less than the max for service rifle and a lot less than the max found in the regular section. It chronographed at about 2500 f/s. I appreciate any suggestions if you think this is to hot. I have some RL 15 and may give your load a try.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've always heard you should load the winchester model 100 like it wsa a "service model M1A" so your load should be just fine. I had the same thing happen to my m100 a few months ago. I was running 47 grains of RE 15 and everything was looking good (no real noticable pressure signs). I fired 130 of these loads through it and then started having the same problems you experienced with the extractor. Upon dissassembly I was checking everything. I had already polished out the chamber so I knew that wasn't the problem. I polished the gas piston too. Everything was working great up until the 130th shot from the stiffer load. When I was looking at the bolt face, I noticed a hairline crack going thru the center of the extractor and called my gunsmith and I bought the correct extractor and replaced it myself. I dropped the charge of RE 15 powder down 3 grains and started working up. I found another sweet spot at 45 grains and that's what I settled with. I realize I'm losing about 100 fps but the deer around here will never notice a difference. As long as it's safe, functional, and accurate that's all I care about. Good luck with yours.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Gentlemen: What is the expected turnaround time from Winchester for the recall firing pin assembly? Thanks.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 24 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.