-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone know much about a rifle made in Brazil, brand name of Globeco (I haven�t seen that spelled), caliber 30-06? I haven�t seen it, just had it described over the phone and it sounds a lot like a Model 96 Mauser action factory built as a sporter, not a customized military rifle. It cocks on the forward stroke of the bolt and has a bolt release lever on the left side of the action, with a bent down bolt handle.

I am looking for a confiscation rifle, a cheap one that I don�t care about but can hunt with and don't mind listing in the UN computer registration system. A friend is asking $200 with a basic Bushnell fixed 4 power scope (Scopechief). The fellow�s son collected about 20 deer and a moose with it and went on to another rifle. Don't even think about replacing the trigger, barrel, etc. The features I want on this rifle are: cheap, functional, OK with me when/if they eventually confiscate it. Sounds like it has considerable use wear of stock scratches, etc. but I'd guess they took care of the bore. Will check that of course. OK, maybe if it shoots I might replace the trigger.

Is $200 in the ballpark?

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've never heard of the company, but a sporterized, functional 96-based rifle with a somewhat decent scope is probably worth 200 bucks. I wouldn't load it too hot though.

You could probably find a decent sporterized 98 in the condition mentioned for about the same price though. They're pretty easy to find. I bought a VZ-24 98 in 7X57 completely sporterized with a Brown Precision stock, Bold trigger, Dayton-Triaster safety and a lightweight barrel for $275 a few years ago and have passed up several similar ones since.

Where are you going that they might confiscate your firearm? If you're planning a trip someplace, I might consider spending 250 to 300 for something a little mainstream. 300 will easily get you into a very decent serviceable gun from a major manufacturer, or decent quality sporterized 98. It's up to you, but if I was planning a hunting trip that required extensive travelling, the extra 50 or so dollars doesn't seem like much. That barely fills my truck with gas.

For example, a nice looking Remington 722 in 308 was for sale on this site for 300 bucks last week, of course I would probably cry if that got confiscated! My problem with that is every time I by a gun with hopes of using it as a beater and not caring about it, I end up liking it too much, I'd still get upset if any of my firearms were confiscated.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
jonz, thanks. I'd rather have a sporterized 98. Sure hope I run across a 7x57 like yours for $275! No hurry on this one as I can wait a month or more, and meanwhile I'll be looking around. I'm agreed that I'd take a better rifle for a high ticket hunt, but there's not much travel cost and I'll probably use it there again in the future. I've been looking local where no shipping is involved, keeping it simple and direct. Wish I could find a 308 or 7-08 but those aren't as likely in a beater. A 6.5 Swede would do. I'd never heard of this Brazilian rifle.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I think the reason mine was so reasonable was because the previous owner had camouflaged the whole gun in Krylon, I didn't care since it was totally functional. It seems like you're more interested in functionality than cosmetics or minor blemishes or wear, which makes your search a heck of a lot easier. Good luck.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Globeco is (was?) a wholesale surplus jobber in the 60's and 70's. They did weird conversions, but you have to judge them by the original rifle. Your Brazilian rifle was like made as a Mauser contract rifle in Germany. Globeco sold small lots to independent hardware stores, etc in the New England states and Eastern Canada; they may even have done the work in Montreal Canada.

Globeco did stuff like TokarevSVT (7.62X54R) into .303 British, Swedish Krag into 308 Win, I know because I have owned examples of both.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OldBadger,

Thanks. Helpful info.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 35 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,213
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.