Hop To
L
lochsa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L

Wolf Hunting and Trapping Seasons Set

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission Thursday, July 28, adopted wolf hunting and trapping seasons for 2011-2012.

Wolf hunting seasons run from August 30 through December 31 in Island Park and Beaverhead wolf management zones, from August 30 through June 30 in the Lolo and Selway zones, and from August 30 through March 31 in the remaining nine of 13 of the state�s wolf management zones.

Hunters may buy two tags per calendar year, and they may take only one wolf per tag. Wolf seasons are any-weapon seasons, electronic calls may be used statewide, and wolves may be taken incidentally during fall bear baiting.

Wolf tags cost $11.50 and nonresident wolf tags will cost $31.75. The reduced nonresident tag price is retroactive � hunters who already have bought tags at the higher previous price are eligible for a refund.

The season limits are 40 wolves in the Salmon zone, 60 in the Sawtooth zone, 25 in the Southern Mountains zone, 10 in the Beaverhead zone and 30 in the Island Park zone. There are no limits in the remaining eight wolf management zones.

Hunters must report killing a wolf within 72 hours, and they must present the skull and hide to an Idaho Fish and Game office within 10 days. Fish and Game will monitor the hunt daily. The seasons will close when the harvest limit for that zone is reached or the season closing date, whichever comes first.

Wolf trapping seasons run from November 15 through March 31 in the Panhandle zone, except for units 2 and 3; in the Lolo zone; in the Dworshak-Elk City zone, except Unit 10A; in the Selway zone; and the Middle Fork zone. All other zones are closed to trapping with the option of opening a trapping season in other zones upon commission review in January.

Trappers may buy up to three tags with trapping license in addition to two tags purchased for hunting; unused tags from hunting season may also be used to tag trapped wolves.

Snares and foothold traps, with a jaw spread of no more than 9 inches are legal during wolf trapping season.

Baiting regulations for trapping wolves are consistent with regulations for furbearers. A mandatory trapping education class is required before buying tags for wolf trapping.

Trappers must check their traps at least once every 72 hours; they must report a kill within 72 hours and bring the skull and hide to be checked with Fish and Game within 10 days.

Wolf hunting and trapping seasons and rules are posted on the Fish and Game website at: https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=266, and they will be available in a brochure to be published before the seasons start.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'll be out there in September with 2 tags in my pocket, wish me luck. Maybe if I get really lucky and get 2 I'll send one to Malloy as a christmas present.

Brian
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Makes me want to go to Idaho.

I bet there will be a huge drop of wolves numbers and a rise of elk and deer.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm betting that the zone quotas don't even come close to filling. They aren't that easy to find and Idaho has a whole lot of mountainous country.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As Rock Chuck said,they are not an easy prey.Hunting alone sure won't get the numbers down.Those area's with the highest volumes of Wolves did quota out but it took time.Many of the area's had some quota left until very late in the season and snow...

This is at the end of our last Wolf season with a cap of 220 wolves,only about 150 were taken.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Note the Sawtooth zone with a quota of 55. That's Stanley Basin where the elk have been hit hard. They were a long way from filling the quota in that one. We hunted in there and never saw or heard a wolf.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good news for a change from Malloy!!!

MISSOULA- Wolves will stay off the Endangered Species List, at least for now, after U.S. District Judge Donald Molloy upholds the constitutionality of Congressional action taking the wolves off the protected list.

Some environmental groups wanted Molloy to overturn the May decision, saying lawmakers had violated the Separation of Powers Doctrine.

But in an 18-page ruling issued this afternoon, Molloy rejected the plaintiff's claims for summary judgment and backed the government's position. That leaves the question of long-term ESA protection for Idaho and Montana wolves in the hands of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Jayco

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Rock Chuck
I hunted from Stanley clear down to Grand Jean from 87-07 great country. In 07 I killed a nice bull on the first day and we never saw another elk the entire season. Have not been back since. Hope to get there again before I am to old to climb. my favorite place on the planet.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We have multiple packs in Unit 1, but it's hard to hunt them, steep and lot of timber and brush. I've seen tracks multiple times but never any wolves, nor have I heard any.

We live on the bench in the north part of Boundary Co., and have seen tracks, also a couple of neighboors have seen wolves.

Maybe this season..

Regards,
Ben
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A couple thousand wolves in a state the size of Idaho doesn't exactly leave one behind every tree. The odds of running into some are really quite small. The odds of them finding the elk are immeasurable greater.

― George Orwell

N
N
7mm-08 for wolf?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,822
Posts18,516,744
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.