Print Thread
Hop To
#5426016 07/16/11
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am looking for loads to use in RST 20 gauge cardboard 2 1/2 inch shells using card wads, and low pressure loads for 12 guage loads in Federal paper cases with card wads. I'm tired cleaning up plastic at my backyard range and would also like to go back to cardboard tubes for most of my hunting. There is just too much plactic out there. I've been in touch with Ballistic Products, they don't have any data for the 20 guage. Anybody know of a manual that has loads for these tubes with card wads? Way back when I started reloading, we just put a given load of powder in a case then added wad column to fill up the open space, added shot and crimped. Maybe that is how I should approach this? It's what I do with black powder. Any thoughts, either on the manual, or the old loading technique?
Bfly (Darn, I just can't type this morning! Think I got all the missed words on the second edit.)

Last edited by Blackfly1; 07/16/11.

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Lyman 1st and 2nd editions have some loads listed for the old Alcan wads similar to what you're asking about. I load for short shells in 12ga and use pretty much the same data that 2 3/4 hulls use except for the shorter wad column. PB is a go to powder choice for low pressure loads in my older SxS, Ross Seyfreid had some recommended loads that he shot in Damascus tubes that worked well in my applications.
I have no idea where you will find paper 20ga hulls, havent seen any for a long time, but there again , I shoot 16ga in that nitch. I would think that the cheap straight wall plastics, not the tapered cases, will be better for the dog turd wads that you want to use.

NRA Benefactor
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, I have those manuals, too. Great information in them. I will probably wind up doing the same as you. I was hoping that there was a manual out there that had some more recent pressure tested loads with the revised versions of the old favorite powders. Do you happen to know where Ross Seyfreid published those loads?
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It was in one the mags that he wrote for a long while back, I know it was oriented to the short shells for his Damascus guns. I'll see if I can find the loads.

NRA Benefactor
J
J
Get the Lyman's manual for sure. I would recommend Lyman's 49th Shotshell manual, which is probably the best source for info and load data. Also, for buckshot and slug loading, BPI, Ballistic Products, has all the components for loading buckshot, slugs, steel, and other non-lead shot plus they sell manuals for buckshot and slugs.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Actually the Lyman 49th Edition is metalllic only. The latest shotshell manual is #5 or 6. I can't find mine right now to verify. In my opinion, it is the best available.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 3,007 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,411
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.