Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I am enjoying the �Where to live in Montana� thread so thought I�d ask about Wyoming. I�ve been in Colorado over 30 years and keep moving farther from my job to get away from as many liberals as I can. I�m close to the Wyoming border now and can�t see driving any farther.

Been making a few road trips up through Idaho and Montana, but also thinking Wyoming. Don�t mind the cold or wind; just want to find some nice people and access to hunting and fishing not too far away. Where would be a good place to retire in Wyoming?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

DO NOT go to Laramie, I left there to get away from the Liberals, it was like Laramie was becomeing a mini boulder

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might consider scenic Lander. We have the hunting and fishing you are looking for, nice shooting range facilities, good hospitals and medical care and the cost of real estate has not yet gone over the moon. FWIW, Lander Wy is among the top ten cities in the whole nation for the least amout of wind. Being in Wyoming, that's hard to believe, but true nevertheless. Political scene here is very decidedly conservative, with a few liberal loons scattered around here and there, mostly imports from Kali and Colorado, but nobody pays them any attention. grin

Last edited by jnyork; 08/03/11.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saratoga would get you near a lot of public land, and the airport has a runway big enough to accommodate your private jet. If that's too big, Encampment and Riverside are just down the road. The Big Horns also would be nice, but I am not as familiar with the area.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H

Originally Posted by WyoCowboy

DO NOT go to Laramie, I left there to get away from the Liberals, it was like Laramie was becomeing a mini boulder

Yep...sure don't want anything that looks like Boulder....Boulder doesn't look like anythnig else in Colorado!

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sheridan or Cody.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

They are not liberals, just hippies. They usually stay around the 2nd street area.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
If I had my druthers, I'd move to Sheridan or Buffalo. But both are getting pricey as far as real estate goes though. Lander really is a nice area and the Wind River's are right there. Good central location too. Don't count out the west side of the Bighorn's either. Greybull, Shell or Worland are good locations too. Guess it depends on what size town you want to live in. I traveled the entire state for 20 years on the job and am partial to the north central part of the state! The lib factor is a lot lower up there.

No brains, no headaches...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buffalo, Saratoga and Cody would be on the top of my list but I don't live in Wyo so don't know of some of the gems out there that aren't on peoples everyday radar.

I live and work in real estate in Montana and theres some really good places that people don't mention when people start to talk about where to live in Mt.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Boulder is a funny demonstration of Liberal stupidity. When I lived in Co, they screamed and stopped all prairie dog shooting in the county. You can guess what they screamed about after that.

And yet, it does take a degree of intellect to recognise your own stupidity and they fail to accomplish that. I loved it. Most entertaining.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
But the winters are so long......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ten Sleep

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Long winters keep out the riff-raff! Tensleep is a great spot on the earth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Saratoga would get you near a lot of public land, and the airport has a runway big enough to accommodate your private jet. If that's too big, Encampment and Riverside are just down the road. The Big Horns also would be nice, but I am not as familiar with the area.

If I could I saw the place several years ago now. Pretty sure it is gone now. It was nw of Encampment a few miles. A half section with live water and a nice bluff to protect you from the winter wind. I've thought about it a lot over the years. Love that part of the world. Like to go back sometime.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
There's a nice spot just south of Beulah too.

rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

With the rumors that the area is attracting 'celebrities', it's possible to be the next 'vail/aspen'. So maybe not.

I've always liked Buffalo and Cody

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by wyowags1
If I had my druthers, I'd move to Sheridan or Buffalo. But both are getting pricey as far as real estate goes though. Lander really is a nice area and the Wind River's are right there. Good central location too. Don't count out the west side of the Bighorn's either. Greybull, Shell or Worland are good locations too. Guess it depends on what size town you want to live in. I traveled the entire state for 20 years on the job and am partial to the north central part of the state! The lib factor is a lot lower up there.

Looking for a small town, but still reasonable access to medical if needed. I don't mind the cold or long winters....helps keep out a lot of the fair weather folks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll have to second Mr York's suggestion. I live in Riverton (just 22 mile's from Lander). The best weather in the state (less wind and snow) is in the Wind River valley, and the Big Horn basin. You can be hunting or fishing here just minute's after stepping out the door.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hunt41Ram
Looking for a small town, but still reasonable access to medical if needed. I don't mind the cold or long winters....helps keep out a lot of the fair weather folks.

You have received some good ideas. Another on I like is Rawlins. I-80 goes right through it.

I lived there for 4 years and in just a few minutes you are out hunting & fishing. You a are a reasonable drive to Miracle Mile which is great fishing. With in a hour or less of good deer & elk hunting. And within minutes of some of the best antelope hunting you could ever want.

The people in town are decent folks. Not too many liberals unless they are just passing through. My youngest daughter was born in the hospital there.

The only drawback I can see is the winters can be severe and the wind can blow pretty heavy. But you will find that anywhere in Carbon County. Even in Saratoga & Encampment.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Out side of Cody. Your darn close to Yellowstone and can drive to Montana and Idaho and spend the day then drive back.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (264mag, 3333vl, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 320090T, 21 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,781
Posts18,536,100
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.