-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 28 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 27 28
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Question for the disappointed ones who maybe haven't dropped much poundage since last Wednesday: Have you cut back heavily on carbohydrates in general?

It would be strange to see the scale not budge much if a big guy dials his starches and sugars way back, as most folks in the 150-200lb range will drop 2-4lbs in the first week due to lack of water retention and some minor loss in fat. People usually benefit from seeing the scale drop in just a week or two and are more likely to stick with the plan long enough to get some results. Those who maintain a similar carb intake to their pre-diet state will often drop weight much more gradually and have to work harder to boot. Also, regardless of your methods, fat loss is rarely linear. You may drop 3 pounds one week and only half a pound the next week, even though your routine/diet is the same. Don't get discouraged by those lulls.

Last edited by JPro; 08/03/11.

Now with even more aplomb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
Question for the disappointed ones who maybe haven't dropped much poundage since last Wednesday: Have you cut back heavily on carbohydrates in general?

It would be strange to see the scale not budge much if a big guy dials his starches and sugars way back, as most folks in the 150-200lb range will drop 2-4lbs in the first week due to lack of water retention and some minor loss in fat. People usually benefit from seeing the scale drop in just a week or two and are more likely to stick with the plan long enough to get some results. Those who maintain a similar carb intake to their pre-diet state will often drop weight much more gradually and have to work harder to boot. Also, regardless of your methods, fat loss is rarely linear. You may drop 3 pounds one week and only half a pound the next week, even though your routine/diet is the same. Don't get discouraged by those lulls.

Cutting back on the calories a good bit and cutting out a lot of carbs has been my tactic. Also, I've cut out evening snacking. I haven't gotten back into a workout routine yet, but plan to. I miss my beer (had a few over the weekend and will again this weekend too) and ice cream, but this'll be worth it. I can already feel a bit of difference at my waistband.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your tactics are pretty much what works best for most folks if they can stick with it. Get ready to need new pants. I hear you on the beer ban, it's just too dang hot to not have a cold one or two on a weekend.....

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Started this on the 26th and weighed 232 1/4 this is where I'm at now [Linked Image]
all I've done is push back from the table and joined the gym and work out now 1 hour five days a week. When I started with the gym it would take me 20 minutes to cover a mile based on a cardio workout now I'm doing a mile in a little under 11 minutes.
Down another 11 1/4 lbs.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the goverment and I'm here to help. Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's awesome, drycreek! I'd have to resort to amputation to lose that much in a week. grin

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've lost a total of 27 1/2 lbs since I started a little over 2 1/2 months ago, but I know it's getting ready to slow down had a lot of fat to get rid of. smile

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the goverment and I'm here to help. Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
276.0 on the digital scale last week. Today, 272.4. This has been easy with just a few changes to quantity and long walks three times this last week.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
217. Just tryin' to give you guys a good head start.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
210.0 that's -1.8lbs.
I'd be real happy with that every week for the next 3 months.

DK

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I weighted 259 today at the doctor's office. That's about a ten pound loss from last week.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
On the 27th 233.5...today 233.5 CRAP! Usually it takes a week or two to start losing. Cut out all in between meal snacking and beer consumption.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roundup, I hope you and some of the others who are off to a slow start will hang in there. It's a worthy endeavor we're all attempting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Roundup, I hope you and some of the others who are off to a slow start will hang in there. It's a worthy endeavor we're all attempting.

Amen to this. I'm someone who drops weight fast at the beginning, and then plateaus out no matter how close I watch what I'm eating. Other people lose very little to begin with, but gradually lose more and more over time. Everyone's body acts differently.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Amen to this. I'm someone who drops weight fast at the beginning, and then plateaus out no matter how close I watch what I'm eating. Other people lose very little to begin with, but gradually lose more and more over time. Everyone's body acts differently.

Brian.

Yep, I'm currently dropping weight pretty quickly (down another pound as of this AM)and hoping to keep it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if it tapers off in another week or so.

This thread is giving me the final kick in the pants I've been needing for a while to do something about my weight, and while I don't want to sound like a cheerleader or try to dominate RRRoaes' thread, I want to keep up a level of mutual encouragement among the contestants, not for the prize money, but for the physical results.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If there's anything worthy of encouragement, it's another person making a real effort at improving their health. We're all born with genes that determine if we are short, tall, stocky, skinny, long-legged, long-torsoed, etc. What we eat and how we treat our bodies is really the only control we've got. Why not make the best of that and improve our quality of life? The actual quantity of life might get a boost as well, which isn't a bad gift to give to our loved ones.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is it cheating if i am in Physical Therapy? grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have been dieting for about 7 weeks & have lost 15 pounds. Certainly, not great but I'm staying away from ice cream, snacks, & candy. I can sympathise with an alcoholic. I crave sweets & when I eat the meal does not seem to be complete without a dessert. If I eat even a small piece of cake or candy I need more & more. I am working part time as a security officer & instructor so I take diet frozen meals with me. For snacks I eat a salad with a little diet dressing. My goal is to lose another 25 pounds. It will take a long time, but I plan to stay with my diet. Blood pressure is down (with med), but cholesterol is through the roof.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've gone down one pound, from my 195 starting weight.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Is it cheating if i am in Physical Therapy? grin

What did you do? I know some folks who gave up on PT because it was "too hard", although I know for a fact that they were "too lazy". It's necessary sometimes.

I know a guy who had to do PT on his hand a few times a week for a good while. He punched a guy in a barfight and broke several bones, really jacking up his right hand in the process. He said he felt like such a sissy when folks around him were trying to learn to walk or stand up from their wheelchairs, while he sat in a chair and worked his hand with a pink dumbell. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tbear
I have been dieting for about 7 weeks & have lost 15 pounds. Certainly, not great but I'm staying away from ice cream, snacks, & candy. I can sympathise with an alcoholic. I crave sweets & when I eat the meal does not seem to be complete without a dessert. If I eat even a small piece of cake or candy I need more & more. I am working part time as a security officer & instructor so I take diet frozen meals with me. For snacks I eat a salad with a little diet dressing. My goal is to lose another 25 pounds. It will take a long time, but I plan to stay with my diet. Blood pressure is down (with med), but cholesterol is through the roof.

When your sweet tooth starts acting up, eat fruit. Your body is just craving sugar, and fruit provides it in the most healthy form.

Brian.

Page 17 of 28 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 14 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.