Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am having the Devil of a time keeping the outward appearance of my Bushmaster to my liking. The matte finish is difficult to keep in a uniform manner. It seems to dry at different rates in regard to the oil giving it a mottles appearance. In addition to that, despite my best efforts at wiping it clean there is a constant seepage of oil out of all openings (trigger, safety, mag release, etc.) I see the pictures you guys post of your rifles and they have a clean, sleek appearance.

On my other rifles I like to keep a thin, almost imperceptible film of oil on them. I'm still learning on this thing.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't sweat the lube seepage. It just goes with the territory.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I use grease, cuts down on seepage.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
mottle and seepage don't open the groups up any.....

Remember its a combat rifle to start with, not a show piece.

I know thats not what you wanted to hear though.

And FWIW I don't oil the outside of the recievers and never have.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see the pictures you guys post of your rifles and they have a clean, sleek appearance.

Pictures hide a lot. All my AR's leak like an AMF Harley Davidson. grin

Terry

IC B2

Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
I use grease, cuts down on seepage.

Ain't Gun Slick great?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have no clue, I use TW-25b.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you tried BreakFree and minimum oil, whn I assembly my AR's after a good cleaning. I hand rub all the internal parts with minimal oil and all exterior parts with BreakFree and then wipe the exterior dry with a towel. It will protect it and give it a even dark look, instead of a patchy wet/dry look like some other oils will do. I live in a very dry area and try to keep my oil to a minimum. If not dust adheres to everything. I only get seepage when I starting running them, then it doesn't matter anyway. I'm religious with my cleaning.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All mine leak, also. No biggie...

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SMACK
Have you tried BreakFree and minimum oil, whn I assembly my AR's after a good cleaning. I hand rub all the internal parts with minimal oil and all exterior parts with BreakFree and then wipe the exterior dry with a towel. It will protect it and give it a even dark look, instead of a patchy wet/dry look like some other oils will do. I live in a very dry area and try to keep my oil to a minimum. If not dust adheres to everything. I only get seepage when I starting running them, then it doesn't matter anyway. I'm religious with my cleaning.

Religious with cleaning with an AR is just to make you feel better... keep it lubed and you can clean it about ever 500 rounds or so and life will be just fine and worry free. Just sayin.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
I have no clue, I use TW-25b.

I have a piston setup and GunSlick is fantastic on it and all my auto handguns. I used it first on a 25 y/o "calico" 1911 my Da and I built in the early '80's. All parts were out of Shotgun News and ran well untill a couple of years ago. Replacement link and barrel and the timing was GTG!As for the GunSlick in an AR, my SR-556/6.8 eats it up. So far no FTF's, feed issues or cycling issues. A light coat of GunSlick on all contact surfaces and she runs, and runs. On match ammo it's -MOA out to 200 yrds. After that start checking tables etc... For most else, hand loads included, should be no problem. Gunslick is one product I will always endorse.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Have you tried BreakFree and minimum oil, whn I assembly my AR's after a good cleaning. I hand rub all the internal parts with minimal oil and all exterior parts with BreakFree and then wipe the exterior dry with a towel.

Go to Walmart and look in the shaving section and find yourself a shaving brush. That is bar none the best CLP applicator ever. You control how light or heavy your application is by how many drops you apply to the brush.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Should have bought a R-15 that's been dipped.

Annodized metal is hard to keep the same universal sheen on.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mine all leak, but I shoot them wet. We may call them "modern sporting rifles", but they will never have the same appearance as blued steel and AAA Claro walnut, so why worry about it?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Part of the reason for my concern is dirt. Right now in South Texas we have lots of loose, dry dirt with no place to go except into the actions of our firearms. The more dirt that collects on the outside means it's going inside too. The mottled appearance, to me, indicates uneven oil coating, but as has been pointed out, oiling the outside of the AR action does nothing from a protection or preservation standpoint.

After just one afternoon of riding on the truck seat (even with the windows up and the AC on most of the time) it was getting pretty dirty. The damn dirt gets everywhere not just in the action but up under the fore end and in the sliding butt stock, ...... It does the same thing on a "regular" rifle but is easier to wipe off.

I gotta figure something out because it's going to take a lot of cleaning time to keep it in a presentable condition (working order). Or, I can just not worry about it. I've got a little Springfield 511 that I keep in the truck too. I don't take as good care of it as I should. It cost me about $150. The Bushmaster cost a bit more than that so I feel a bit more obligated to diligence in cleaning it.

I may have to adapt some kind of scabbard to use when I'm out and about. The AR really doesn't lend itself to scabbard use either but ....... Thanks for the replies. It's great to be able to call on a bunch of experience in a short amount of time.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hear ya on dust.... I got my 50 bmg covered with dust one time in South Tx... from then on, and we do a bunch of hunting if we can find places for shooting hogs... I go no where without some protection on the gun in dusty... and I'm not just talkiing AR.....

A buddy carries his AR in an upright holder on the mule, and drops a long pillow case over it.... works pretty good.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've never had any issues with dust. I keep mine in the rack on the 4 wheeler and just brush it off after I'm through. The outside I keep dry, the inside is wet, keep the dust cover closed and rock on.

It's gonna get dirty but it won't hurt it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495

Religious with cleaning with an AR is just to make you feel better... keep it lubed and you can clean it about ever 500 rounds or so and life will be just fine and worry free. Just sayin.

Just sayin, let me know how those 300, 400 and 600 yard groups look after not cleaning it for 500 rounds.. Just sayin. wink

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just perfectly fine FYI>... Was still shooting perfect scores the last string at 600 at Camp Perry at the National Matches as a High Master Service Rifle competitor...........
Ya might learn something from that too....

One of my High Master buddies cleaned only his BCG for a complete season. As did another High Master, by the name of Derrick Martin of Accuracy Speaks, USAR for many years and for those in the AR field, a very familiar name in building top notch ARs for many years....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Just perfectly fine FYI>... Was still shooting perfect scores the last string at 600 at Camp Perry at the National Matches as a High Master Service Rifle competitor...........
Ya might learn something from that too....

One of my High Master buddies cleaned only his BCG for a complete season. As did another High Master, by the name of Derrick Martin of Accuracy Speaks, USAR for many years and for those in the AR field, a very familiar name in building top notch ARs for many years....

Not into the high master thing but to each their own. My idea of precision shooting and yours are a world apart. Now how large is the 10 ring at 600 yards???? eek all those posts and still rambling.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (2500HD, 1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,559
Posts18,473,130
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.