Print Thread
Hop To
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have bought 2 FN actioned rifles in the last few weeks. One is a Sako that came with a Redfield 1 piece base with the peep sight on the end. The other is a JC Higgins 51. I'd like to get another redfield scope base with the peep. Anyone know where one is for sale? If not, what other options do I have? I looked at my local Bass Pro and they had nothing for a FN action. They only sale stuff for new guns. I asked one of the kids behind the counter and he didn't even know what a FN action was. I really hate going in there sometimes

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure about the peep but try this link..

Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the Higgins, you will likely have to get a base and have th rear screww D&T'd. No matter what the Leupy site says, if you call, that is what they tell you, ad that is what I had to do.

Ain't never had no Say-ko (as they say here in SC), so cannot comment, there, sorry.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to go retro, I have an extra Bausch and Lomb adjustable base/ring set with correct and matching BalVar 2.5-8x32 scope with tapered crosshair reticle. I have this type of setup on my 1952 FN in 30 Newton and that old scope is still mighty good glass and pretty useful.

If not doing the retro cool route, I would have the extra hole drilled and tapped, then go with Dual Dovetail or Weaver/picattinny type bases.

There is a good reason why the old Redfield/Beuhler/Leopold adjustable rear base setup is no longer popular.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
iambrb, are you confused again? smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
The old Redfield bases had a peep built in that folds out of the way, I'd like to find another one of those but probably hard to come by

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That'd be kinda cool, but there are lots of peep sights that mount on a picatiny / Weaver base in case you cannot find what you are looking for. Good luck

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
C
I have a Redfield one piece base with a peep. It's in great shape and not being used. Send me a PM.

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
PM sent

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JC Higgins M 51 base options:

There are two hole spacing patterns on the JC Higgins Model 51 Fn actioned rifles (I have two of them). The front spacing are the same. The rear hole spacing is where the two patterns are seen. Don't quote me on the exact hole spacing, but one is "close" at ~ 0.55" apart, the other is "wide" at ~ 0.85"(?) apart ( on centers).

Most of the rear bases you will find for an FN Mauser 98 rear bridge will be the "close" spacing (~ 0.55"). Both of my JC Higgins M51's are "wide" rear action spacing.

I did quite a bit of searching for bases, as I really didn't want to drill and tap the rear bridge to have an extra hole (but that really isn't a big deal if you have to do that, I just wanted to know if I HAD to go that route).

I found that Warne Scope Mounts makes a two piece Weaver style matte blued/blackened finished, steel base that fits the "wide" rear action spacing. You won't find them at distributors. I found it on the Warne Manufacturing website, and had several calls back and forth to confirm.

I ordered directly from Warne. It is the Warne MAXIMA series steel base series (Weaver cross slot style). The front base is part number M902M. The critical wide spaced rear base is Warne part #M831M. It fits both my JC Higgins M51 rifles perfectly.

Warne customer service was very helpful.

Warne also makes excellent rings, to match them, but virtually any Weaver-style ring will work on these bases.

If you want a peep option, you can buy a Marbles rear sight peep set up, that will replace your rear open sight on your JC Higgins. It has a ladder-style elevator, and is drift adjustable for windage. It looks like a "bullseye." It isn't as precise as a Redfield, Lyman, or Williams click-adjustable action-mounted receiver sight, but once sighted in the Marbles barrel-mounted peep sight will provide a fast, reliable, and easy to use back up sighting system.

Good luck.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have the Higgins FN with both hole spacings on the bridge also.If you like Talley steel 2 piece style you can get them (bases) in the .860 spacing-product #252730 Bruce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ditto above. Both spacings also, used the Talley .860 spaced base and Talley Steel rings.
I believe the Talley bases can be had with the peep..
g

Thomas Jefferson

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I gotta take a picture of the base I'm talking about. Its a standard redfield 1 piece base with a little fold down peep mounted on the end. When the rings are removed, the peep can be folded up and used in an emergency. Pretty neat. I found a couple for sale after searching for awhile. I called Talley, they make lightweights that fit it. As stated earlier, there are 2 different spacings and Talley makes a base for both. One the front and back have the same spacing. the other the back spacing is smaller. This is my 2nd JC Higgins rifle. The first is a 51-L, which is a Husqvarna. Its amazing how nice these guns are, and from Sears! How much were they price wise in comparison to a Winchester 70?

C
C
You may want to check out a two piece Redfield base with peep that is on Ebay right now. I think the high bid is at $28.75. I have usually tried to match period rifles with period scopes and mounts. While some newer designs may be better I've never had any trouble with the Redfield style (with peep) on my JC Higgins model 50. Matched with a long tube Leupold 4x it just looks right.

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
clang, exactly what I was looking for. didn't know they made a 2 piece base. Hope the other guys don't want it as bad as I do. Here is a picture Of what I'm talking about for those who don't know. Notice the little peep. Probably never be used but still a neat idea.
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,691
Posts18,534,529
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.