Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know nuthin' about no injection. smile

The whole deal with Rem 700 actions is that they are cheap to make 'cause they are machined from round bar stock. I guess that was noteworthy at the time they came out. Also makes bedding them very straightforward.

I have had a couple Springfield M1a's with cast, not forged, receivers. Great rifles. Rugers are cast. I don't know who else is casting.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

B
ba_50 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I can't see what is difficult about putting a standard Rem barrel on using a headspace gauge except getting the Unertl scope blocks level.

Last edited by ba_50; 08/03/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geargrinder

The nut makes swapping easier because you can swap the barrel amongst different actions. You can't do that with shouldered barrels.

Umm, yes you can.

People have been putting takeoff 700 barrels on different 700 actions for nearly 50 years.

I've done it several times myself and the headspace was always within spec.

Not even my Savages have nuts anymore.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why would anyone want to swap barrels ? The objective is to have the most complete guns, scopes, mounts, stocks as possible.
The best way to do that is to keep buying complete outfits.

Buy, Buy, Buy, help the recovery!

B
ba_50 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Unertlca,

Why? In case the first barrel isn't accurate and because money you put into a semi or custom firearm will never be recovered. It is also hard to help the recovery when we are unemployed with little or no income.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
why?
to have more than one caliber on a good glued in action and stock.

my savage has a shoulder and no nuts, because i think i can change out a barrel on a shouldered barrel lots faster than with a savage nut and i dont have to fiddle with a gauge.

both systems work and maybe [just maybe] you save a few bucks on the savage system. it does serve a lot of folks well and gives them choices and options.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Umm, yes you can.

People have been putting takeoff 700 barrels on different 700 actions for nearly 50 years.

I've done it several times myself and the headspace was always within spec.

Not even my Savages have nuts anymore.

You've been very lucky. Of the last 5 I have done 3 were out of spec. I hope someone doesn't take a bolt to the face from following your advice.

I can send you a nutted Savage barrel and garantee that it will headspace on your factory action. Can you garantee that your shouldered barrel will headspace on my factory action?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Show me where I tell anyone else to try fitting a takeoff barrel to any action without checking headspace.

Yes you can send someone a nutted Savage barrel but then they'd be stuck with that ugly nut.

Do as you please, I'll not slum a nut again.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I never said you did. I was just pointing out that someone could read what you said and think that they can slam a take off barrel on their action and feel that the chances are in their favor of it being within spec.

As with a couple of our other discussions you're stating your opinions/preferences as fact.

I can admit that there are advantages/sacrifices to either headspacing technique, but it still boils down to the owners preference as to which is "better".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are unemployed you should be getting a job even if that means moving, taking a pay cut and so on. Playing with barrel swaps is not for people on the dole.

As far an "inaccurate" factory barrel, there have been a lot of posts on here that have dealt with "inaccurate" barrels. Most are just fouled. I've yet to meet a factory barrel that will not shoot big game killing groups, out of the box, with factory ammo. Say 3 in 1.5" @100.
Some are far better like the F Class savages in 6.5x284 or any number of 204s, 223s and 22-250s.

If you like changing barrels, then do it, but don't blame it on an "inaccurate" factory barrel.

Remember: "he who dies with the most toys wins."

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I shot a 1 1/4 inch 10 shot group at two hundred yards the other day. I was using a factory Savage 22inch heavy barreled 308 with a 15 ounce (out of the box) accutrigger. I still have the target and will post it if I can ever figure out how the hell to post photos on here now. It and a factory 700 in 223 are two of my most accurate rifles to date.

If I give an opinion on it, I have used or owned it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Easy way to make Savage nuts look good...just take a sharpie and write "tactical nut" on them. cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy way to make Savage nuts look good...just take a sharpie and write "tactical nut" on them.

Everyone knows that would make them both more attractive and make the rifle more accurate.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It would also make everyone prefer them!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The nut is a solution that allows a manufacturer to easily and affordably achieve perfect head spacing on every rifle during mass production. Nothing more. I do find it very handy for swapping barrels though. No need for a gunsmith, shipping the action, etc.

Last edited by prm; 08/08/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A non nutted barrel is even easier to swap around once it is set up for a particular action. The only time the nut helps is using a single barrel on multiple actions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EddyBo
A non nutted barrel is even easier to swap around once it is set up for a particular action. The only time the nut helps is using a single barrel on multiple actions.

Exactly!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only time the nut helps is using a single barrel on multiple actions.

Or the nut helps the novis with a single action and multiple barrels.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
The only time the nut helps is using a single barrel on multiple actions.

Or the nut helps the novis with a single action and multiple barrels.

I disagree. If all those barrels had shoulders and a pinned recoil lug, it would be much easier on them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Its Savage all the way .Why use a remnut hey

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 28 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,450
Posts18,528,889
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.