Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I have been building stoves since 1974. I designed the current version of the Kifaru stove in 2001 and built them for Kifaru until a couple years ago.

I have been playing around with roll-up stoves for about 5-6 years. Just over a year ago I posted these pictures of a stainless roll-up:

[Linked Image]

It's been a fun project and goes well with my weight purging quest on my gear.

In the past year I have built a number of prototypes but kept coming back to this basic design with a few improvments. When I finally had it where I wanted, I took the plunge and built the stove from titanium.

[Linked Image]

A few of the changes I made were to go from the 4 spring attachment to a more secure 3 turnbuckle attachment.

Another feature I wanted was to have a modular stove. In another words, I wanted a stove that I could switch out long and short bodies depending on the shelter I was using as well as the temperatures expected.

The image is of a 12" body.

[Linked Image]

This is a 22" body

[Linked Image]

Another thing I wanted was to have maximum contact for heat transfer depending on the cook pot I am using, so I built the support rails with a narrow and a wide position.

This is the narrow with an MSR Titan Kettle

[Linked Image]

Wide with a Snow Peak 1400

[Linked Image]

To switch between the long and short bodies all the needs to be changed out are 2 support rails and a cable

[img]http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/runsmtns/TiStove8.jpg[/img]

The 12 stove for transport can just fold the support rails back

[img]http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/runsmtns/TiStove5.jpg[/img]

For the long stove, the support rails are removed and stored inside the rolled stove body and pipe.

Another image of the 22" with 3 cook pots

[img]http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt56/runsmtns/TiStove7.jpg[/img]

The weights for the stoves are 12 ounces for the 12" and 17 ounces for the 22"

As far as heat capability, I have found cylinder stoves to heat better and burn more effecient than box stoves. The 12' will have heat output between a Kifaru small and medium and the 22" will be between a medium and a large.

Ed T

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
This may be obvious, but is this wood or gas fired? I'm kinda slow sometimes, bear with me.

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Wood

Ed T

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nice work Ed.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
nice, I want one.

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
what about the pipe? lengths?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have found cylinder stoves to heat better and burn more effecient than box stoves.

+ 100

However... the legs look too short and the top not quite flat enough to bake on top of while sitting on my folding stool. Also, what about a warming tray? grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looking good Ed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very nice work!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Very nice Ed. Where do we order?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by evanhill
I have found cylinder stoves to heat better and burn more effecient than box stoves.

+ 100

However... the legs look too short and the top not quite flat enough to bake on top of while sitting on my folding stool. Also, what about a warming tray? grin

Excellent design, simple yet elegant.

For a warming tray how about placing a rock on top and set the pan on it while moving closer or further away form the pie or using a thicker or thinner rock to control the temperature.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice. I like the door design. How does it latch? What kind of backing do you have for the legs? It doesn't look like a screw on nut in the back. What kind of burn times do you get with them? Very cool stove.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hey Ed,

Are you using the same spark arrestor setup as the Kifaru stoves?

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Cercocarpus
what about the pipe? lengths?

Pipe diameter is 3". length depends on what shelter you are using. I'm using a 7'

Ed T

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Diyelker
Very nice. I like the door design. How does it latch? What kind of backing do you have for the legs? It doesn't look like a screw on nut in the back. What kind of burn times do you get with them? Very cool stove.

1: The door is a very simple design. Cable hinges and handle. The latch is a rivet post that a hole in the door goes over.

2: The legs thread into T-Nuts that are riveted into the front and back rims. The angle of the legs-out and to the rear for the front and out and to the front for the back give the stove great stability and also allow the use of a snow platform.

3: Burn times are like similar light stoves. Cylinder stoves are more effecient than box stoves though. Any of these light stoves need to be stoked quite often for any substantial heat output. I know this isn't a very specific answer but so much depends on the wood you are burning as far as type and how dry or wet it might be.

Ed T

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I have actually gone to just a Ti-Goat damper. You can also use a spark screen but by eliminating the draft in the chimney where the spark screen slots are you get better draft with a smaller pipe,

Ed T

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Ed_T
I have actually gone to just a Ti-Goat damper. You can also use a spark screen but by eliminating the draft in the chimney where the spark screen slots are you get better draft with a smaller pipe,

For those that have expressed interest in getting a stove, send me a PM as I am looking into pricing, availability etc.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Ed T

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I'm new to portable wood stoves. How do you store the pipe when packing it? I have gotten tired of the mornings, if you know what I mean, and have gotten real interested in these.

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Cercocarpus
I'm new to portable wood stoves. How do you store the pipe when packing it? I have gotten tired of the mornings, if you know what I mean, and have gotten real interested in these.

The pipes roll up just like the stove body. A 3" pipe rolls to a 12" long roll about the diameter of a paper towel center tube.

The stove body can then be rolled along with the pipe so you just have one small roll.

Heated shelters are the way to go. I have been using them since I first purchased a Mountain Smith 4 man tipi from Patrick Smith in 1988

Ed T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i can't tell ya for sure that once you've gone black you'll never go back

but I can tell ya

life with heat can't be beat

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 56 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,965
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.