Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Too much sense for the innanet..... im glad im not from up north... theys some goofy laws up there...

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MontanaCreekHunter: Unlike some of the few "turdlike" cretins who frequent this site - "I" will answer your question!
Based on FIRST HAND experience.
I actually have Hunted Coyotes with my 17 HMR's!
Answer: Yes the 17 HMR is indeed a viable Coyote killer and I have done so successfully - albeit NOT out to 200 yards distance.
If I were you I would limit yourself to 125 yards or so and only at still or very slow moving Coyotes.
Bullet placement is KEY in this regard to quicker kills.
Your 200 yard "maximum", is that because of terrain/foilage limitations?
If you are calling Coyotes then you should be able to bring them in to more certain lethality range than 200 yards.
If not I would pass on the shots near 200 yards.
Best of luck with the 17 HMR and your Coyotin forays.
Beware of "turdlike" (useless) people!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When isnt bullet placement the key?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
When isnt bullet placement the key?

Never.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
In la la land.... where some 'fire members dwell...

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Shotgun isn't good on the pelts
Obviosuly haven't shot any coyotes with a shotgun. Use the shotgun with 4 buck or even BB and wait for shots 50 yards and closer, and you'll do just fine and have some good pelts to sell.
Only time a shotgun is "hard on pelts" is if you shoot'em at less then 10 yards.
I agree with everyone else, 200 yards and the hmr don't belong in the same conversation.
It amazes me the dumb laws that some states put in place. Someone needs to tell the state that the hmr is a necked done 22 mag., and at least make them both legal to use.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Shot a coyote a while back with a 62gr tsx. we happened to cross pathes I shot just as he was spinnin around in high gear. Hit him just a lil behind the shoulders. Fugger made it farther than any deer I ever shot, before I got #2 in him.

HMR in that situation woulda been a long trackin job or a lost dog. Cant see huntin coyotes with it. And considering how much I prefer the HMR thats sayin alot.

Granted, inside of 100-125 yards with very lil wind. If I had a clear shot of his head it would be a different story

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
MontanaCreekHunter: Unlike some of the few "turdlike" cretins who frequent this site - "I" will answer your question!
Answer: Yes the 17 HMR is indeed a viable Coyote killer and I have done so successfully - albeit NOT out to 200 yards distance.
If I were you I would limit yourself to 125 yards or so and only at still or very slow moving Coyotes.
If you are calling Coyotes then you should be able to bring them in to more certain lethality range than 200 yards.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Never had a negative thing to say about you, Varmintguy, and I am glad to read YOU are THE stand up guy to finally answer the OP's questions.... dang cretins are destroying this website! Cheers to you!

Those Turdlike folks are taking up bandwidth, and are as irritating as heck!

And your signature line, hold into the wind, is more apropos here than any other I have seen you reply to... being the 17 is wind sensitive!

Now carry on with your feedback to these here threads, if I recall correctly you are THE Varmintguy, you surely know more than any of the Turdlike folks can claim!

LOL

You can take a joke, I say, I say, Son!

Sorry, not sure why you're busting chops, but it does seem funny to me!

All I can suggest on the 17 for a yote.... is, "head shots"

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If your 77/17 shoot snything like mine does... you should be able to place shots very precisely to 125, as suggested for a practical maximum.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well if they say nothing larger than a 22 LR...

are they talking bore diameter or cartridge size?

bore size, any 20, 19 or 17 caliber is smaller in bore size...

17 K Hornet, 17 Fireball etc...

If they haven't legislated them in positively or negatively...

any of your lawyer types want to weigh in on a fast opinion?
I'd get their input and then go down and get a clarification from the F& W guys....

If you had to use a 17 HMR, I'd reach for the 20grain FMJ bullet first for coyote... head shot a coyote out that was paying me no attention that just happened to present himself at the wrong time...probably 100 yds or so...

wasn't a big one or small one.. just average sized...

Last edited by Seafire; 07/31/11.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
VarmintGuy thanks for the info. 200 yard would be max because of a few reasons one being that is the biggest field or clear shot I would have on the lands I hunt. I do call and usually can get them pretty close.

My handle on here has nothing to do with Montana. Montana Creek is a creek in Juneau Alaska I grew up on fishing and duck hunting.

As to the shotgun I have killed a few coyotes with and the guy I sell my pelts to doesn't like to buy them. He will but he rather me use a rifle. Seeing he gives me pretty decent prices and all I have to do is drop them off to him, I like to make him happy.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Inside 100 yards, I think either would work.

At 200 yards, just not much energy there.
17HMR 20gr XTP: 100 yard zero, 200 yard = - 9.3", 1,350fps, 80 ft-lbs.

22MAG 30gr HP: 100 yard zero, 200 yard = -16.6" drop, 65 ft-lbs
22Mag 40gr TNT HP: 100 yard zero, 200 yards = -17.8" drop, 94 ft-lbs

The 22 Mag has some serious drop that wouldn't be easy to use. W/o a range finder and alot of practice, predicting a 16.6" drop isn't fun. Not to mention any wind drift!

I think I would stick with a 17HMR due to it's flatter shooting and limit shots to 125 yards (-1" drop, 125 ft-lbs).
22 Mag @ 125 yards, -2.1" drop, 138 ft-lbs.

Just not a lot of margin for error. Are you going for head/neck shots or boiler room? Don't think boiler room shots are going to be very effective. I've seen them run quite a ways after being shot from a 223!

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
22 mag isn't even an option. The 200 yards doesn't need to be, That is the absolute max range I would have a clear shot on. I would say that 99% of all the shots would be 50 to 100 yards. So I am going to get a 77/17 for this season.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
When I first got my 17HMR, I took it out and shot two called coyotes with it. One at 125 yards, one at 140. both ran off with no blood trail. I did recover both and they were shot in the chest from the front. It was hard to find the entrance hole and no exit. I decided that the 17 wasn't enough gun and haven't shot any more coyotes with it. If my choices were a 17 HMR or 22LR, I would hunt with the 17. Luckily, I don't have to make that choice here.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How far did they go?
How did you find them?

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wish I had the 77/17 today had one coyote @ 40 yards at one of my tree stand I was pruning up a little. Then was driving home and had another out in the field across the street from my house @ 75 yards.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

And we're off....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
To the OP, I'd be very, very, very careful with the Hummer on coyotes no matter what Captain Turd says...

Your state law sucks...

Good luck to you...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes sir many of our state laws here suck and so don't 80% of the people that live here. Of course they helped elect all the morons that have made these choices. I am stuck here a little bit longer because it is going to afford me the life style I want to live once I move.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Considering how piss-weak an HMR is, at 200 yards, even on prairie dogs, coyotes at 200 aren't really an option.

+1 Based on my experience using the HMR on Fox I would NEVER consider using one for Yotes.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,596
Posts18,492,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.