Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickF
What if we just gave you Quebec?

laugh laugh laugh

RickF;
I hope this finds you well tonight.

I also hope summer has finally started for you as it finally has for us.

Thanks so much for the belly laugh tonight Rick!

All the best to you and yours.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Canada fought in BOTH World Wars - for many YEARS before America bothered to help out.

Canada needs no lessons or lectures - thanks just the same.

Canada was ordered by its master. We had no nation ruling over us.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickF
As always, thanks for the laughs guys. I can never really tell who is the one giggling and prodding the "other" guys.

The US are great neighbors. I have immediate family living there, and happily so. Yes, they are educated and are tax payers. wink

Canada depends on the US as a trading partner. Most of us live within 100 miles of the border for the more temperate weather, and oh yeah...that's where the largest cities are. Go figure. I don't, having a resourced based job and being a hunter.

The reason we're doing better economically? It's been beaten to death already. Too many Americans voted for a party that promised to take money from someone else and give it to them so they wouldn't have to work. Canadians voted for a hardass who would try to fix the economy.

Does America defend a lot of the world? Of course you do, although it's often to protect American interests, oil and otherwise. And thanks for doing that, with 35 million people we can't afford to do what you do.

Bless you, Sir. Thank you for being a great neighbor. You and your great country.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm done bashing Canada, as we've got enough giant problems at home to worry about. I can't go to the grocery store without standing behind some fat ass who pays for half the groceries with a food stamp card, and the other half which consists of candy/pop/junk food with cash. God help us in what we've enabled people to become.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Canada fought in BOTH World Wars - for many YEARS before America bothered to help out.

Canada needs no lessons or lectures - thanks just the same.

Canada was ordered by its master. We had no nation ruling over us.

Expat

You are kind of half right, Expat.

In WWI, Canada (as a member of the Commonwealth) was indeed automatically at war when declared by the UK. However, saying that Canada was "Canada was ordered by its master" misunderstands the nature of the Commonwealth a bit -- and might be a little like saying that "Oklahoma was ordered to go to war by its masters in Washington"... wink

In any case, certainly nobody ordered Canada to go to join WWII. Canada (after parliamentary debate -- which was far from unanimous mostly because of Quebec) VOTED to go to war. This happened several days after Britain went to war.

Anyway, I lived in both Canada and the US, and I can only say that I met LOTS of great folks on both side of the border. (I am also amazed at the inability of many here to simply ignore BCBrian's bait, but that is another story! smile

John

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

Why are Wikipedia's numbers so different from yours Steve?

what numbers? tax rates are, unfortunately for you and Charles, facts which are easily provable.

I've posted the top rates for personal and corporate income tax, and the zero rate for inheritance. Top personal there is 29% vs. 35% here +++various surcharges that really make it 37%.

social security contribution for self employed is 15.3% vs. less than 10% in Canada.

Corporate rate there is half what it is here.

I think you may have higher liquour and tobacco taxes, but other than that....name one single category where the US isn't taxed more heavily than Canada. Name one....give supporting facts.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

Canadians pay income tax separately to the Fed and Provincial governments. In BC for example, the top Fed rate is 29% as you say, but you will also pay 14.7% as a top Provincial rate, making a well paid non-incorporated individual pay 41-44% on his income over $100,000 per year. Add the CPP and EI (social security) and the 12% Harmonized Sales Tax you pay on virtually everything, and it is a lot.

I don't believe the typical State income tax is anywhere near that 14% rate that BC has, and many states do not have a State income tax. In addition, many do not have Sales Tax, never mind a 12% one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
free miner;
Thanks for that post sir, I was going to post something similar and in fact had it all typed out, but decided against it in the end.

My good wife is the Financial Controller for a group of family owned construction firms. As such, I can vouch for the fact that if for instance a project manager who would make say, $75K per year gets a bonus check of $40K, then his bank account will only be richer by roughly $22K, the remainder going to the combined taxes.

Others have mentioned higher costs as well here, such as $5 per US gallon diesel fuel. Currently we have a 38% fuel surcharge on all goods brought into the cabinet shop where I work. As our initial cost on that sheet of melamine or board foot of Eastern Maple - US cut and milled by the way - would be higher to start with - the additional 38% on incoming freight has made it a tough year.

We used to sell about $1.5 million a year into cabinet dealers in Washington, Oregon and Montana, but rising freight costs have eliminated all that business.

I will say that I was shocked at the property tax figure that Steve NO quoted. Even with a multi-million dollar property in our neck of the woods, one wouldn't hit that number or so I'd think anyway.

As I've stated a number of times before, we've traveled a fair bit into the northern states and have always and without exception been treated wonderfully. We have family that winters in the southern states and they love the people there too.

To address the issues of the Canadian national defense policy today and how we've arrived there would take several volumes - some of which I own. wink

Suffice to say, the road from ending WWII with this - quoting Wiki here - to where we are today makes for interesting reading to say the least.

"By war's end, 1 million citizens would have served in military uniform, and Canada would possess the fourth largest air force and third largest surface fleet in the world.[3]"

To say it was a direct path or even one all Canadians wished to go down would be very much over simplifying the subject.

As an interesting by the way as well, I've had family that lived in Texas - near Laredo I think it was, that had opportunity to stay there permanently but chose not to. When I asked why, the answer surprised me and might do so for others here as well.

They felt that though there were some personal freedoms available in Texas that weren't afforded to them here in Canada - and they noted in particular the 2nd Amendment rights - that the amount of governmental control on business operation - ie. permits, inspectors, etc. - exceeded that which would be encountered in their home province which was Saskatchewan.

To say that situation was a surprise for all of us would be a gross understatement, as this family member did really, really like it down there in all other ways.

Anyway, my post has again exceeded what I'd initially meant to type and for that I must again apologize.

I am eternally grateful for our good neighbors to the north - Alaska- and south and as I consider you all friends, allies and key trading partners, I hope and pray for nothing less than 100% success in all your endeavors.

All the best to you this week free miner and thanks again for the post.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hopefully,in the future,Canada will be the place of choice to emigrate/imigrate(whichever) to,for the huddled masses yearning to be free,and the waiting free house and welfare card.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I worked in Canada for 6 years and can say with certainty that total tax burdens are much higher in Canada on the individual and corporate level. Goods and services cost more, almost across the board and the cost of living is very high as a result.
The health care is also very much sub standard and as a result I always carried US health insurance even though I could have got on OHIP.
The standard of living is also lower in Canada as compared to the US.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
somethings are sooo predictable, one the fact that we have so many programs that we don't have the revenue would end up in our credit rating being defaulted, as it has.

two; there's a resident douchebag in Canada that unfortunately teaches children that can never resist poking the USA in the eye

[bleep] the politicians that got us here

and [bleep] BCBrian

the world would be better without any of them

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
somethings are sooo predictable, one the fact that we have so many programs that we don't have the revenue would end up in our credit rating being defaulted, as it has.

The US government has NOT "defaulted" on anything.

The credit rating for certain Government bonds was downgraded by a bunch of pricks in one securities rating company.

The same company that gave high credit ratings to certain financial institutions that went bankrupt or needed government bailouts 3 years ago.

Last edited by jim62; 08/07/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I fail to understand how one could piss and moan about the US not doing more earlier in WW2 and yet state that the defense of Japan is Japan's business alone. I read this whole stupid thread hoping someone would enlighnten me, yet here I am left to conclued that either the OP, or perhaps it is I, is nukken futz.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Context is a funny thing, huh? wink

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It has nothing to do with context, it has everything to do with the inability to think, the failure to realize that one is either positing rational inconsistancy as a method of developing a world view, or that one is a at core a hypocrite. And most likely too stupid to realize either one while basking in a failed sense of superiority.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker
I worked in Canada for 6 years and can say with certainty that total tax burdens are much higher in Canada on the individual and corporate level.

If you can read, I just showed you that they're not, but carry on.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
As every American knows - Canadians pay far more in taxes - and Canada provides its citizens with far more entitlements.

no they don't....they pay far less than we do. 29% top rate...far lower than the evil Bush tax cuts for the rich (oh, and everybody else who pays taxes). even lower than under dat ol' debbil Reagan. must be a bunch of Canadian tea party terrorists or something.

That may be, but there are both national and provincial sales taxes, which combined are in the 12%-14% range. I think they apply to everything, both goods and services.

Murphy was an optimist.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by BWalker
I worked in Canada for 6 years and can say with certainty that total tax burdens are much higher in Canada on the individual and corporate level.

If you can read, I just showed you that they're not, but carry on.

Steve_NO, since you question peoples' ability to read, why don't you show us that you can, by going to this link http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html, and then show us references to a US state that taxes individuals 44% combined Fed and State income tax. While you are at it, why not show us a single US jurisdiction where a person pays 12% combined Fed/State sales tax.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Defence?

From who?

The only country that ever invaded us? smile

Against my better judgement I finally decided to go to this thread and see what was going on. Made it as far as this post by the airhead and found it to be exactly what I thought it was.

I'm outta here. sick

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm over that number in LA, but only at 9% on sales tax.

If you want to talk about provincial, vs. national rates....that's a whole different google. We have one of the highest sales tax rates in the country in LA. But at 6%, our state income tax is in the middle of the pack.

but many states would give you a combined number of 44 in the top bracket.....because the fed number is really 37, so any state with 7 or more would qualify.(California's is over ten.)

then if you want to drill down to city income and sales taxes, and local property taxes, you could really get specific, but of course it would only apply to a single locale, which kind of defeats the purpose of a comparison of national tax rates.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
But its not a drilling down process. The national sales tax in Canada obviously has to be factored into the total tax burden, since its so steep. I don't know if the sales tax also functions as a VAT on wholesale transactions. Plus, it taxes services. Slap another 14% on your billings, and see how much tax starts flowing. We can't just say the Canadian economy does great because it has a low marginal tax rate on income, when it has a very steep tax elsewhere for which the US has no equivalent. That's how they fund much of the social welfare. And as everyone points out, they're not spending a ton on defense. And while it hasn't come up, my guess is that the extraction/severance taxes on timber, minerals, mining, and gas are probably pretty steep. Combined with high gas prices., and high mineral prices, Canada is sitting pretty.

Murphy was an optimist.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 18 invisible), 1,833 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,059
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.