-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a friend who is looking for a small rifle. He would use it for mostly squirrel hunting at a maximum range of about 100yards. He wants something that he has to do little if any adjustments for range. He has his mind set on bolt action (he don't need fast follow up shots, and he thinks that they are far superior in accuracy). He isn't a bad shot, but not a good one ether. I was thinking that the 17mag would be perfect, but he would want to wait a year or so the see if it catches on. I suggested the 22win mag, a 22hornet, or better yet a 223 or 222. He likes the idea of the win mag and 22hornet, but the sound would be a problem with the 222 or 223.
<br>
<br>Now hears the morel question. He has a 10/22 (22lr). He is convinced that he will do much better with a bolt with a more powerful camber (don't know were he got it). He has too much money. He is not exactly a grate friend of mine (I have a lot of classes with him and joke around with him, but never have seen him outside of school). I think that I could buy the 10/22 from him if he gets a new rifle. It is s.s. with wood stock has been used vary little. He really has his mined set on a new gun. It would take some work to get him to realize that his 10/22 is just what he needs, and considerably less work to buy it off him. I have told him that the 10/22 is quite fine for what he is doing, he just needs to shoot more to improve accuracy, but he ignored that. He doses realize that I know much more about guns than him so it is vary possible for me to sway his opinion.
<br>So what do I tell him? Keep the 10/22, or get a new gun, but which gun?
<br>

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

GB1

Here's my 2 cents worth. Have your friend post the question himself on this board or even the 22 rimfire board at Marlin Talk that gets a lot more traffic. Let the recommendations come from someone else that would be unbiased in their opinion. FWIW - if your friend is going to do squirrel hunting with any of the rifles you mentioned there wouldn't be much of anything left after he hits one, so if would make for pretty poor eating.
<br>
<br>As far as your recommendations, if he is set on getting a bolt action rifle I doubt anything you say will change his mind. Just let him know if he ever wants to sell his 10/22 to let you know as you would be interested and leave it at that. Who knows, he may want to keep the 10/22 for himself to plink with. Hope your friend ends up with what he wants / needs and good luck to you.
<br>
<br>Tom

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My good buddy plinker Tom has given you some good advise. Most people are better to start small game hunting with the 22 long rifle cartrige. It is the most accurate and the most economic. Two good bolt action rifle come to mind that are top guns in Top Gun. The CZ-452 and the Marlin 880. depending on personal preference your fiend would be happy the own either one. The Marlins may be had for around $200 and the CZ for around $300. Both worth every cent.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I told him yesterday that it would be best to put a scope on it and diside only then if he rilly needs anything eles. I also gave him a Cabelas, and a Midway catalog. Affter he dose some shooting with that he will licly relized that he has enuff gun for his purpous.

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 300_savage, 358wsm, 32 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,975
Posts18,499,477
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.