Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Just picked up an old A. Richard side by side exposed hammer shotgun for a side project. Not too shabby, just needs a little TLC. However, the barrel says "Laminated Steel".Never seen this before. Will it be safe to shoot skeet loads, or am I going to have a nice wall hanger?
Jerry

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Below is a good start, though studying this thoroughly could take a few lifetimes.

Pete

https://sites.google.com/a/damascusknowledge.com/www/

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldotter
Just picked up an old A. Richard side by side exposed hammer shotgun for a side project. Not too shabby, just needs a little TLC. However, the barrel says "Laminated Steel".Never seen this before. Will it be safe to shoot skeet loads, or am I going to have a nice wall hanger?
Jerry

The Europeans don�t treat laminated, skelp, or Damascus any different from fluid steel in their proof houses, so I wouldn�t be concerned about the gun based solely on what the barrels are made of. What you should evaluate is the overall fitness of the gun to be fired. Regardless of barrel material, that gun is about 100 years old and should be evaluated by a gunsmith that knows his double guns before firing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are a number of gunsmiths that can evaluate that gun properly. Go to doublegunshop.com and ask the same question to find a smith in your area that can help. I have a twist steel LaFever built in 1908 that I shoot 8 k psi. loads in regularly. The barrels doesn't have any pits in it and that is a key item.

A test a few years ago with two near same year manufactor Parkers, 1 damascus and 1 fluid, showed that they both failed at about 33 k psi. The issue is barrel condition not steel type.

Enjoy!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Or, if she locks up tight, you could throw in a couple of 20 or 28 ga tubes.

Still makes sense to have a good smith check it out.

"It's what they know that's just not so", often attributed to Mark Twain but that's just not so either
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks guys. Like I said, its a project gun, but will more than likely be a wall hanger. I still would like to see how it shoots when I'm done. A thourough disassembly/cleaning an tweeking, she will be lookin fine. Barrels are mildly pitted, will have someone more qualified than myself evaluate the safety of firing. Have a couple smiths in my general area I feel comfortable with.
Jerry

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You may feel comfortable with them but are they knowledgeable double shotgun gunsmiths?

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Docbill, I appreciate your sound advice. Just got off the phone with my smith, and during our conversation he more than put my mide at ease as far as a knowlegeable chap. He told me more than I had asked, or thought to ask. That why I respect this fellow. Doesn't get insulted when you ask if this his forte'.
Jerry

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
One of the problems with some old shotguns that don't have pitted barrels is that they did have pits that have been polished out. Some barrels were polished so much that the remaining barrel is quite thin.

Last edited by doubletap; 08/09/11.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you have any intentions of shooting your 100 year old shotgun , make sure to verify chamber length first . Alot of the old guns are 2.5" , a 2 3/4 might blow it up in your face !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
oneoldsap, that was one of the first things my smith said was a must to check. A 2 3/4 shell will drop in, but I don't think that is the propper way to check.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don't let the 2.5" shell thing bother you. There are 2.5" shells available from RST and others and testing has shown that 2 3/4" in 2.5 " chambers does not raise pressures significantly.

Double Gun Journal is the place to find articles relating to this subject. Series called "Finding out for Myself".

There are lots of legends in the shotgun world.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There also has been many fingers lost when the tubes let go
just about where your left hand holds it. You are dealing with
hidden flaws and 100 + years of hidden corrosion.
Most of the time it may be ok sometimes not.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The pits and corrosion at the end of the forcing cones come from the corrosive primers used well after black powder disappeared from use. Checking pit depth and corrosion extent takes someone that knows what he is doing and a good bore scope. That's why not all gunsmiths are qualified to evaluate old doubles.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (17CalFan, 2ndwind, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 39 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,316
Posts18,526,383
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.