Print Thread
Hop To
Page 713 of 1,842 1 2 711 712 713 714 715 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by northern_dave
It was cool in the morning but it warmed up fast and the sweatshirts went away.

Decent hardwood is a little harder to come by. Birch would be our best bet for an abundance of hardwood but it would be kind of tough to scratch together a load like this. Oak, there really isn't any out in the forest areas around here. We have a lot on our 10 acres at home I guess. Biggest problem with our red oak is the bark. Really thick bark, messy. Not much elm, or ash... or maple... frown

This jack pine does ok though, we like tamarak better but this will burn decent.

Pine tends to creosote your chimmy fairly fast. Just make sure you clean it regulary. We're lucky to have the Ash and Maple. We have a lot of poplar and Hemlock too. Neither are the best for burning. We also have a few Yellow Birch near the cabin. It makes a lot of heat when it burns.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by M1894
We can't move firewood more than 50 miles here because of the ash tree beatles . So instead of cutting the trees I have here and taking them up to camp to stay ahead on firewood , ( we only own 2 acres there so it is not sustainable ) I just had to pay for a load of logs to be delivered to camp frown

We have the same situation here in WI with the Ash Bore. Same 50 mile rule applies.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Northern WI is pretty well loaded with good fire wood. Near our camp in the Park Falls area, there is more Maple than I've seen in MN period. More Birch, more Ash...

Northern MN is tough to come by anything but pine and popple.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yep, come up to Northern WI and get yourself a piece of Ash. laugh

Last edited by Grizzly_Bill; 08/08/11.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
grin

Something clever here.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here's a picture of a nice piece of Ash I got up on a project in Crandon,WI.

Gotta watch yourself up there...most of the Ash a guy gets in that neck of the woods comes from the Rez.

[Linked Image]

Believe me, nobody wants a piece of ash off the Rez.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bet you'd end up with a rash on your ash. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Free beer ya say? You never said nuttin about free beer when you mentioned you needed a date. grin

Sorry Tom, I guess I did forget to mention the free beer and food. Maybe I would have had a date then huh?

Looks like everyone had fun at camp this weekend. Wish I could have been there.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I didn't make it either. I had to work, I tried to get out of it but...no go. frown

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The wife & I acquired 50 acres of private wooded land in a fairly remote location early in the winter months of this year. 2 sides border state land that goes on for what seems like for ever.

We have prepared a building site & have started building our hunting cabin. 24 x 32 cabin with 3 bunk rooms, kitchen/dining area, small living room type area & an attached sauna room. Wood and or propane heat, propane range/oven, probably the lights too. No electricity, no running water. Thinking about putting a sand point in & a hand pump for water to wash up with.

It's accessible by truck but it's a slow trail a good 3/4 mile off the closest decent gravel road.

The most notable part of this new camp is a new member to our hunting group. My best friends son, 16 years of age. My best friend, also my cousin, lost his life recently in a plane crash. I invited his boy to take part in the building of this new camp & asked if he could come up & hunt with us as well.

He's taken to me, taken to the project & taken to the idea of calling it his hunting camp with the passion & enthusiasm that only a starry eyed young hunter could bring. It's a true blessing and a wonderful thing. The bond between us is strengthening and it is helping me deal with the loss as much or more than it could possibly be helping him. Me & his dad were only about 12 days apart in age & have been best friends since before we could talk. I suppose we are as people would often say "like brothers". Looked alike, talked & thought alike, I suppose that makes it easier for his boy & I to bond so well.

We're trying to keep things pretty rustic, we like the absence of electricity, the hand pumped well idea…. Wood stove… It's going to be quite the place, a foundation for many memories to come. I have 3 kids of my own, 1 girl & 2 boys, all are already or at least show promise of being hunters. My wife likes to hunt, I have brothers… I'm sure my dad will take part. It's the beginning of something good, the birth of what will be a sentimental memory factory.

I'm standing at the beginning looking forward, and I know well enough to absorb it all, soak it up & live in the moments, because they move so fast.

Well, there's the intro, lengthy, but there it is. Any shack/cabin tips and or considerations from those that are past my point & looking back are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

This was my original post which grew into something I could not have imagined back then.

This behemoth thread is 4 years old today.

Not just the thread but the camp itself too. 4 years later things are quite established and comfortable as they should be for a deer camp.

I want to thank Rick Bin for allowing this soap opera of a thread to exist here. I also want to thank the collective core of the campfire forums for the sincere support, interest and helpful suggestions and fun interaction within this thread over the span of 4 years.

As this site is an open discussion forum it is also open to heated disagreements and personal attacks etc. It happens quite often with certain topics.

Butt it hasn't happened here in this thread for 4 years. As vulnerable as the topic itself is, with a family hurting due to a loss, restructuring, strengthening bonds and sharing so openly family photos etc... It's quite vulnerable and open to insults and attacks. Yet it hasn't happened.

It's August 9 2011 today.

There's a lot of financial suffering nationwide, unemployment is high, the economy is in the toilet... A political mess, that's how we will remember these times in general.

It's depressing actually, people are irritable. There has been a recent and popular opinion suggesting that the moral core of the campfire has degraded from what it once may have been.

I disagree with this idea. I believe many of us are tired, tired of waiting for 2012 perhaps. We may be irritable, but our values have not degraded. We may have new members, some of which seem to be here only to taunt our conservative lifestyles and beliefs. But we haven�t become diluted because of it.

I took a glance before I started typing this and I saw around two million one hundred thousand views for this single thread. Four years old, over 2 million views and not a single attack.

The campfire forum values aren�t sick or dying. Are we sick of politics and the direction the country is going? Sure, but the core group here is still good people and I want to thank everybody for that.

I�m going to send Rick Bin a PM today and ask that he pull the sticky from this thread. I have a feeling it will stay around for a while regardless. Like a big ugly beach ball at a party it will likely keep popping up from time to time. But I would feel better if it wasn�t stickied to the top of the page here in deer hunting. The deer hunting section is one of my favorite sections of the campfire forums to visit and I think this thing has hung at the top of the page for too long.

Thanks very much everybody for putting up with this nonsense for 4 years.

Dave

Something clever here.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dave you do what ya do, just remember that many of us appreciate the hell out of you and Pam letting us all ride along on your coattails while you make your cabin into a camp.

Thanks

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
First of all I want to thank you and your family for starting this thread. Without it I wouldn't have met any of you, or grizzly bill.I was welcomed to your camp by your family, and was looked at goofy when I asked if could come back. The whole Chickenbuck crew are folks I would call great friends, which for me is rare because I'm a general grumpy bugger. With you guys, we got along from the start.

I remember the first day I met Uncle Dusty. The first day I met Muffy, it was like we had known eachother for years.

Thank you Shaws, all of you.

I

Last edited by tzone; 08/09/11.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Happy Birthday Thread. Happy Birthday Camp Chickenbuck!

Dave, Pam and crew. Thanks for everything. (You know what I mean)

I will still be checking the thread out just as often and I'm sure all the other "chickenbuckers" will be too. Its been a great inspiring part of our lives for four years. Just because its not a "sticky" doesn't mean she is going away! wink

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
God Bless you and your family Dave.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7

I will still be checking the thread out just as often and I'm sure all the other "chickenbuckers" will be too. Its been a great inspiring part of our lives for four years. Just because its not a "sticky" doesn't mean she is going away! wink

Once a year Captain Dave gets mushy about this thread and how it has a life of it's own. Sticky or not, it isn't going anywhere. It means a lot to more people than he knows. Look how many people only have a few posts, and all their posts are on here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dave how does it feel to have cult following smile ?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ahhhh...sniff, sniff, wiping a tear....everybody loves you, Dave. laugh

"I'm not crying!!"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Dave, I do not post much but, this is the main thread that I check every day. Thanks for putting up with the lot of us.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh stop teasing. smile

Forum hog phobia gets to me. Nobody wants to be a forum hog.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I can't begin to express my gratitude for Dave and the rest of the bunch for taking me in as a stray and giving me a sense of family. we only get one shot on this rock, its what we do with it that counts.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 713 of 1,842 1 2 711 712 713 714 715 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 51 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.