-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for posting the pics. Now I need to find one. eek

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well lookee here. A replica or "repilca" of the original....

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-1178-us-m7-shoulder-holster.aspx

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
IIRC, the .38s had 4" barrels.

Hmmmm....

I reckon ScottF now needs a S&W pre-Model 10 .38, too.... wink

Sooooo, are we going to tell Scott about the big stash of really cheap 4" model 10's we found on our way over?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
+1 looks like the one I used to wear on occasion as well....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its an issue holster for a 1911 or A1 but its missing a strap. As issued it had the strap that's present that went over your left shoulder and another that went around your back and chest and back to the holster. Close to original but no cigar. I put in my 20 riding tanks. Still have a couple of those holsters.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Is there a website that shows the proper way to wear and adjust the straps?

Wake up, smell the politician, and re-elect nobody.

"Nee how,nega bin da" (Mandarin: "Hello,dumb a$$)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Dad used one of those as well during cold weather as an MP STG during transportion. I may still have it?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scott, glad you were able to find a great old holster. I've got several of them and one that has been cut down and reconfigured to fit a short barrel 9mm S&W. They fit not only the autos but revolvers fine. I tote a Brn Highpower frequently in mine when I hit the deer lease..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They were still floating around in Vietnam when I was there, I bet Flyboy Flem knows about them as well.

Some had the extra chest strap, many I saw & acquired did not.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome score ScottF

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's an M-7 "Tanker" holster. Pretty common back in the day. I've probably got one layin' around somewhere. Here's a replica...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/LEG195-33.html

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Scott,
Lots of good and true information already. One observation is that these holsters were NOT made for a condition one carry. That strap defeats the grip safety. They were carried with the hammer down on a EMPTY chamber.

Great little piece of history.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good point. I know the Navy carried in condition three. Stood many a quarterdeck watch with an old beater of a 1911 in condition three.

A fun story. Every change of watch the PO Of The watch signed for the 1911 by serial number and ten rounds of ammunition. One watch I slipped an eleventh round in one of the mags. A week later when I drew the watch again I reported the eleventh round. It caused quite a stir. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
IIRC, the .38s had 4" barrels.

Hmmmm....

I reckon ScottF now needs a S&W pre-Model 10 .38, too.... wink

Sooooo, are we going to tell Scott about the big stash of really cheap 4" model 10's we found on our way over?

Oh sure! Take all my cast 38 bullets then try to trick me into buying a 38! Nice try guys! grin

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
BTW. Somewhere in all my stored junk I have several 45 ACP with a paper bullet that is shot filled. I have been told they were issued to flight crews for shooting fish if downed in the drink. Interesting piece of history to go with this old holster.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hi Scott, During the operations of desert shield and desert storm I was assigned duty along with several of my friends in the USMC to service, issue and guard weapons from a large arsenal which was a 3 sided rectangular layout of shipping containers shoulder to shoulder roughly the size of a football field. The shipping containers were a collective gathering from many different maritime prepositioning force ships.

The contents of the containers would be a field trip of glee and wonderment for most members here.

Seriously, at least half of you would be pissing down your legs and mumbling incoherent ramblings of joy with spit running down the front of your neck.

Anyways, while serving duty over this land based duty station right on the edge of the gulf waters, I issued myself a variety of outdated weaponry as daily carry. Just to mix things up grin

I often wore out of date military mechanic coveralls (greens) or a tanker suit and no rank insignia while I carried odd combinations such as a pair of colt 1911's on a 2 gun belt rig and an M-79 grenade launcher. You have no idea how fun it was to unbox brand new unfired colt 1911's, unwind the brown paper ribbon & pull the little cardboard tube out of the barrel... To hold them in your hands, probably boxed in the 40's and not opened until 1990. Then issue them to yourself as a 2 gun rig while officers sported the much loathed beretta M9.

grin

And the M79, nobody had seen one of those since Viet Nam. grin

I carried revolvers, shotguns, all kinds of old stuff that was out of issue but new or in excellent condition and I had the ammunition for whatever I carried.

Anyways, yes your holster looks to be exactly like one I unboxed and wore for quite some time with a 1911 during and after desert storm.

Yours looks to be in very good shape too.

I don't know about today but when I was active duty 90-94 they were very common for USMC tanker issue with an M9 although they were made for the 1911.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
WWII m7 holsters were in brown, the black indicates post WWII.
You might look and see if you can tell if it was died black, as a lot of the WWII stuff was eventually dies black. Missing cross strap. I have a USN victory from WWII with the shoulder holster in bronn, also has a 12 round loop sewed onto the holster for spare ammo. Slightly different than the semi auto rig design as you have here. I have a fondness for the shoulder rigs such as the current produced galco rig for the m9. Can be used as a shoulder holster, also has a hip carry with band to hold the pistol in, or a full flap cover for the pistol. Better than having your pants dragged down from the weight. The clip makes me think it is military, but a lot of repro's being sold these days. see if you can find a manufacturer's stamp on it some place. And date of manufacture.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Correct. The holster shown in the initial picture takes another strap that goes across the chest and wraps around your torso. The latter one in the B&W picture is the "Tanker" model with only a single strap and replicated by El Paso Saddlery. I flew with both and preferred the tanker model

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Scott I've got a box at home somewhere with a bunch of parts and some riggings etc.. as sad as it sounds and as much as I hate to admit it I think I made a hip holster out of one of these once so I might have the 2nd strap these guys are talking about.

I'll dig around if I remember. If I find one I'll drop you a PM so we can get it in the mail to you.

Something clever here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (160user, 264mag, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 33 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,676
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.