Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I am considering a new M70 EW, as I have a spare Zeiss Conquest that needs a rifle to call home. I love how the rifle feels in my hands but wanted to get opinions from other owners.

How accurate are these rifles and do they seem to be picky on ammo? Caliber will probably be 270 Winchester. I have a local dealer that has them for $909 plus tax and they have some stainless Featherweights for $899. Are these prices in line with what others are seeing?

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Price is just about right, and accuracy on the FN Winchesters has been excellent across the board.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Price in line, I have an EW in 30-06 and it is a go to rifle. Slick action, feeds cartridges like greasy sausages and shoots like a house on fire. What's not to like? Hehehehehehehehehe...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Price is just about right, and accuracy on the FN Winchesters has been excellent across the board.....

Please define "accuracy on the FN Winchesters has excellent across the board".

I've been considering buying a EW in 300 WSM but most of the range reports I've read on the EW have shown accuracy to be an 1"-1.5" on average. I realize this is plenty adaquate for hunting but I insist that bolt guns shoot better than that if I'm going to keep them.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is an Extreme Weather 270 Improved on the classifieds for 725.00 wink

Pretty accurate too...

Last edited by RDW; 08/10/11.

Dave

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Originally Posted by ingwe

Please define "accuracy on the FN Winchesters has excellent across the board".

I've been considering buying a EW in 300 WSM but most of the range reports I've read on the EW have shown accuracy to be an 1"-1.5" on average. I realize this is plenty adaquate for hunting but I insist that bolt guns shoot better than that if I'm going to keep them.

Mine is in 308. 1"-1.5" sounds about right for factory ammo with groups closer to 1" than 1.5". At least with my rifle. With handloads I'm generally under 1". Mine is not a .5" gun. At least not consistently, but overall I'm happy with my rifle after replacing the B&C stock with an Edge.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vahuntr,

Buy a 7-08 and tell me how it shoots! grin

Dat's the one I want. smile

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am not a total gun looney so I don't measure targets but I have been offered money a couple times at the range for my 308 and 270. grin I find them very accurate and so did several by standers.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
O
O
I just recently picked up a very lightly used win 70 featherweight in 270. Rough sighted it with factory ammo. Couple days ago I loaded up some 130 grainers and headed to the range. First group out of it looked like this...
[Linked Image]

Second group with the same load after a minor and a little too much adjustment looked like this!
[Linked Image]

I wont even bother looking at any other load development,, this one is very adequate!
I had a fairly large cash offer on sight,, sorry but ill be keeping this one! Id buy another M70 of any model after seeing what this one will do!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by outdoorfool
I just recently picked up a very lightly used win 70 featherweight in 270. Rough sighted it with factory ammo. Couple days ago I loaded up some 130 grainers and headed to the range. First group out of it looked like this...
[Linked Image]

Second group with the same load after a minor and a little too much adjustment looked like this!
[Linked Image]

I wont even bother looking at any other load development,, this one is very adequate!
I had a fairly large cash offer on sight,, sorry but ill be keeping this one! Id buy another M70 of any model after seeing what this one will do!

That's a pretty fair representation of what the 5 I have shot/owned would do.....3 270's and two 300 WSM's......and when I did my part, they were equally impressive at 300 yards as well.

The 270's liked either RL22 or H4831 with 130's;the 300 WSM's liked 66-H4350-165 Sierra's.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/10/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I shot my 270 WSM Extreme Weather M70 about two weeks ago,it shot a group about the size of a tennis ball.

At 350 yards. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't wait until I get moved and settled in so I can go grab one.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is my single 300 yard group with 130gr BT's, four in about 2" and one in outer space...I can live with 4 out of 5 laugh

Did I mention it's for sale wink

[Linked Image]

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 300 WSM EW shoots better than I can. I've shot some 3 shot ragged 1-hole groups with it using Nosler Partitions. I may load up some form of target bullet just for S&G's.

1" is always my goal. Show me a rifle that consistently shoots less than 1" with a hunting bullet and I'll say they aren't overly common. Lotsa folks have sub-MOA rifles on this site - but I wouldn't consider most folks on here as avg Joe's. In fact, I've heard them called Rifle Looney's......... wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Karnis
Price in line, I have an EW in 30-06 and it is a go to rifle. Slick action, feeds cartridges like greasy sausages and shoots like a house on fire. What's not to like? Hehehehehehehehehe...

Finally getting mine this friday or saturday. Been wanting one for over a year now and ran across the perfect one. I'll let you guys know how it shoots, whether it be bad or good. I'm thinking it will maybe shoot as good as karnis' EW grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
My 300 WSM EW shoots better than I can. I've shot some 3 shot ragged 1-hole groups with it using Nosler Partitions. I may load up some form of target bullet just for S&G's.

1" is always my goal. Show me a rifle that consistently shoots less than 1" with a hunting bullet and I'll say they aren't overly common. Lotsa folks have sub-MOA rifles on this site - but I wouldn't consider most folks on here as avg Joe's. In fact, I've heard them called Rifle Looney's......... wink

What, my 300 wsm (FN PBR XP) shoots pretty good too with hunting bullets:

[Linked Image]

10 shot group
Hoping my new Extreme Weather I'm getting from desertmuledeer shoots better than this though wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDW
Here is my single 300 yard group with 130gr BT's, four in about 2" and one in outer space...I can live with 4 out of 5 laugh

Did I mention it's for sale wink

[Linked Image]

Damn brother, you just had too much coffee that day wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice.

+1 I certainly would be happy with those groups. I'm convinced and am going to pick up a EW in 300 WSM this weekend.

Last edited by Ghostman; 08/10/11.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (300_savage, 3dtestify, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 44automag, 8 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,133
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.