Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 716 of 1,842 1 2 714 715 716 717 718 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Better not look at the Matthews then. Just sayin'.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Turn the boy loose. He's gotta learn to track sometime.

He will learn to track but first he needs to be prepared and as confident as possible that when the moment of truth arrives, he can hit vitals every time.
This comes only through lots and LOTS of practice. He owe's that to the animal and to himself.

There are so many variables (bow canter, form, muscle fatigue, different POI at different angles etc.)in bowhunting that can cause a poor or misplaced shot. This usually leads to a hunter standing at the end of a blood trail with that gut wrenching realization that you're just not going to find your deer. It happens. I just want to limit the chances of it happening to him so early on.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Berettaman
I went into the bow shop with no preconceived notions. no brand loyalty. And sure enough, the one I like the most is the most expensive one I picked up. I stayed away from the bows over $1000 luckily.

Havent pulled the trigger on one yet, but I am close. the wife doesnt seem as keen on this as I am..... confused

When I upgraded in 2007, I looked at and shot most all of the "big three" bows. Mathews, Hoyt and Bowtech. Then I picked up a Diamond (which is a subsidary of Bowtech). Not only was it much easier on the pocket book but it turned out it was the bow I liked the best for fit and function. Its not as fast as some of the $1000 + bows but the way I look at it, a tad slower, accurately placed arrow will kill a deer way more often than a blazing fast, inaccurate one.

To sum it up, go with what fits and feels the best for you.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Even the slower bows are now so much faster than the "fast" bows of 6-8 years ago, it's not even much of a comparison. OTOH, none of them are cheap anymore.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Skeeter feeders.That's a REALLY good one,Dave.You have not experienced fanatical Kamikaze mean knife wielding big ass get in yo face BAD ASS skeeters till you hunt eastern South Carolina in October.They look on Thermo Cells as candy.
I bowhunted ocassionly for fifteen years and never killed a deer with the sharp sticks.Those who are good at it say it is a great thrill.I guess you'd feel the same way if you used spears.I'm better with rifles both muzzle loader and modern and for the past few years I have branched off into revolvers.It's all good.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I replaced my archery efforts with muzzle loader myself. The season here in MN is a better fit for me, archery season is just a terrible time of the year for a dad with seasonal responsibilities being a rural homeowner and grounds keeper for a deer camp. there is just so much going on around the archery season, there's just no time for it right now for me.

I really do enjoy muzzle loader season though. Ours comes after the rifle season circus is over with. Things quiet down considerably in the woods during muzzle loader season.

Archery season is still on during and beyond muzzle loader but there are very few northwoods late season archery hunters, it's just too damn cold.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Griz,
Dang right! But if (when) we meet, such attire shall not adorn you!

The only think I dont like about 18" tires is the cost of replacing them. I just bought some for my F250 and $1000 doesnt get it done for BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KOs.

I think I am gonna buy a bow and get into bowhunting a little. Wish me luck.

Looks like I'll have to wear my Chickenbuck shirt than BM if it will make you feel better. grin

I have P245/60/18 tires on my Edge that need replacing and the best price I've gotten is just over $900. Tried Fleet but Cooper doesn't even make that particular size.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Tom, where are you shopping for tires? I have to check them out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Bow the other day, I went with the PSE stinger, got one of last years models that was still "NIB" as a left over from an archery shop. picked up some bargain arrows from cabelas yesterday. into everything for less than 400, and its a dang nice bow. especially since I'm not a diehard bow hunter.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I tried bow hunting years ago. Had me a 45 pound Bear Panda recurve. Spears were still in fashion back than too. smile

My brothers were into bow hunting big time, but I just never caught the bug. Rather use a rifle any day.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I pulled them all back and one of them just really stood out as being smoother and easier to pull back (all had the same draw weight). I didnt buy it yet, but today or tomorrow could be the day!

Man, I love these cool mornings!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Tom, where are you shopping for tires? I have to check them out.

Discount tires is a good place to start Bill. discounttires.com The ship right to you, even better if you have a DT shop in town. We have one 2 miles away. They treat you right.

If you want to take a ride, call South Side Tire in Wausau or Antigo. Firestone is Wausau treated us well too.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I pulled them all back and one of them just really stood out as being smoother and easier to pull back (all had the same draw weight). I didnt buy it yet, but today or tomorrow could be the day!

Man, I love these cool mornings!

Sounds like you found your bow. That is exactly what happened to me after shooting several.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tires-last time I bought tires was for Linda's 2002 Trailblazer.Believe it or not I found the best deal at Sam's.

Deer season progression in South Carolina is first archery-August 15th to Sept 15th.,followed by two weeks of muzzle loader-September 15th to October 1st. followed by regular gun season-October 1st to January 1st..I legally hunt a lot during regular gun season with a muzzle loader.

Stan in SC

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 08/11/11.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice truck Tom, Too bad we missed you last weekend dave, sounded like fun at ol' chickenbuck again. Off to the cities this weekend, maybe check out the big C. Heading to the lynx game sunday night, get to meet the team, Having my daughters 13th birthday with them! You all have a great weekend!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey ND, Im heading up nort this weekend. Have u been out in the woods? How are the deer flys? Wondering if I can survive a trip out to the stands to do some repair.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The flies (biting type, bull, horse, deer etc) seem to be all done now.

The pesky sticky house flies that try to migrate into the cabins towards fall are starting now.

But skeeters will probably be the main problem.

Berry status in these parts (not that you asked)

Blueberries are still out there and pickable in areas where frost didn't kill em this spring.

Choke cherries are close, some are ready, some are still red and turning dark.

Wild plums (if you have any) are starting to ripen but still too hard to pick, green for the most part.

High bush cranberries are turning bright red but still quite a ways out.

Raspberries are still hanging on but will probably fall soon.

Nuts.

Acorns are little this year and won�t be dropping for another month.

Hazelnuts, good crop this year, husks still green, not turning yet.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where I'm at the deer flies are still on a moderate flipping rampage. And the deer ticks are too. I had a nymph attached last Friday. No night sweats yet - may have dodged the bullet. Permanone on the pants, socks and boots required for me. And 41% DEET on everything else. Biting flys and ticks might not kill me, but the chemicals surely will.

Wood is Good.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Big Cole Update:

Clear scan!!!! Great news, the scan was perfect! No cancer!

Also, they did an echo and they dont know the results of that yet. apparently, the meds (chemo?) can damage the heart so that is the reason for the echo.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Swish, deer flies haven't been bad but I don't remember a year with Mosquitos this bad.

Page 716 of 1,842 1 2 714 715 716 717 718 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.