Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Inside of 20yrds,not alert,on the same level and straight on,I'd take it every time.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I respect those who would actually have the will power to pass that shot in the heat of the moment, but at 10-20 yards, a chip shot right through the ol bread basket...I'm taking that shot. Thats a lethal shot. Yes, there is always that possibility that something goes wrong and you don't find him for 3 days, or not at all(which just sucks)...but if you miss high or a bit back on a broadside shot you may be dealing with the same issue. I like my chances with the head on shot at that angle, and that range as in the video you earlier mentioned. Each guy is different as we can tell on this subject. This debate could and probably will go on forever. I don't think there is a right or wrong...just know what you can do, and do it.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd pass jsut because it's such a low percentage shot and I'd get to keep hunting anyways. I think too many guys take a risky shot because in the back of thier minds it MIGHT be the ONLY shot opportunity that they MIGHT get, so they feel a risky shot is better than no shot at all when in reality, once you take a risky shot and it don't turn out with a recovery of any kind, ya gotta live with that for ever, and it just ain't worth it to me.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If that shot is that low a percentage for you. Then you need a lot more practice. If @ 20 yards or so you can't get a group of six arrows in a 1-1/2" diameter your not very good. Now take the 1-1/2" diameter and place that on the right or left chest cavity and see how much more room you have. You have a lung and major arteries and vessels then liver. My percentage within 25 yards on that shot isn't below 80%. Now add the freak chances (turn right or left and out) and that is a clean miss 80% of the time. Should he duck the shot his throat is sliced wide open. I would play those percentages. They are spades above all those long range rifle percentages.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That archer didn't even center punch the elk. IMO, he got lucky to recover it. An elk or even a deer, can go a long ways with an arrow through one lung.
My shooting ability is just fine by the way, BUT the fact of the matter is that THAT shot selection is low percentage when compared to the much preferred HIGH percentage double lung broadside shot. In your mind it's worth the risk, maybe because of the big antlers. But, maybe it's because I already have killed critters with big anlters, to me, it ain't worth the risk.

For reference I expect my groups to fall in the 1" rule. In other words, at 10 yards I expect my arrows to practically touch. At 20 yards I expect all arrows to fit in a 2" circle, at 30 yards all arrows fall in a 3" circle, etc. out to 60 yards.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
If that shot is that low a percentage for you. Then you need a lot more practice. If @ 20 yards or so you can't get a group of six arrows in a 1-1/2" diameter your not very good. Now take the 1-1/2" diameter and place that on the right or left chest cavity and see how much more room you have. You have a lung and major arteries and vessels then liver. My percentage within 25 yards on that shot isn't below 80%. Now add the freak chances (turn right or left and out) and that is a clean miss 80% of the time. Should he duck the shot his throat is sliced wide open. I would play those percentages. They are spades above all those long range rifle percentages.

With all do respect, as you mentioned(we are all very much entitled to our opinion) I disagree a 100 percent. Have you ever seen the deflection of arrows off tiny twigs/sticks??...sometimes this leads to a matter of feet. Had that shot of been to the left, he may have hit that rather HARD bone/cartilage in the chest, resulting in a very much wounded animal.

On two quartering away shots on deer from a ground blind, my arrow has hit this exact bone/cartilage in the chest and it has stopped the arrow nearly dead on the spot. These were with cut on contact broad heads as well, with modern equipment...I guess the point is, if a deer stops the arrow, what would an elk do??..lack of energy results in a lack of penetration on heavy bone or structure.

Now, as you mentioned if the elk DID turn to the left/right on a frontal shot, the "clean miss" would be much lower percentage then the 80% you mentioned...my reasoning being, if you watch the video, as the elk turned to run--what happens when he is hit?? He turns, and reveals a very LARGE hind quarter..pierce that with an arrow/bullet or any other non lethal part of his body and you better strap on some running shoes.

Just my opinion,

MK

MK
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I say the guys who advocate taking that front on shot dont have much if any bow hunting experience........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I said in the other thread, that bull was NOT shot where the bull would tie a bow tie (center of the sternum and high where there are no vitals). That would be a stupid shot at best. It will kill a deer quick with a good compound bow, because the arrow will easily penetrate the soft sternum (I've done this several times). An arrow will NOT penetrate an elk sternum.

He shot the bull to the right of the sternum in the ribs and left of the shoulder blade and low, in line with the vitals. This is a clear path to the heart, lungs, liver and all the blood vessels in between. It is a very lethal shot. It is a small target for sure, but if a guy can hit very small targets with boring monotony at under 20 yards, it's an easy kill.

I have killed several critters with the exact same shot and it kills them extremely fast. I wouldn't take this shot over 20 yards, due to animal jumping the string or other weird archery things happening. Again, it is a small target and you have to be extremely comfortable with your shooting. It definitely isn't for everyone. If you can't do it, don't do it. The hunter knew exactly what he was doing in the video. That wasn't his first rodeo. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tom, Guys that make that shot and are very comfortable with it have a LOT of archery experience. Guys that simply flip arrows anywhere hoping one gets into the vitals on a frontal shot are the idiots. But they are the guys that take a quiver full of arrows into the field every day and come bag bragging about how many shots they got laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Flinch
He shot the bull to the right of the sternum in the ribs and left of the shoulder blade and low, in line with the vitals. This is a clear path to the heart, lungs, liver and all the blood vessels in between. It is a very lethal shot. It is a small target for sure, but if a guy can hit very small targets with boring monotony at under 20 yards, it's an easy kill.

Flinch you got it right. But we can sit here trying to explain it to them for years and it will never sink into them.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Tom264
I say the guys who advocate taking that front on shot dont have much if any bow hunting experience........

You are right, I have never even seen a bow let alone hunt with one. Have never killed anything with a bow or gun. You caught me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TRnCO
That archer didn't even center punch the elk. IMO, he got lucky to recover it. An elk or even a deer, can go a long ways with an arrow through one lung.

In other words, at 10 yards I expect my arrows to practically touch. At 20 yards I expect all arrows to fit in a 2" circle, at 30 yards all arrows fall in a 3" circle, etc. out to 60 yards.

That archer wasn't trying to center punch the elk, this is why it isn't a good shot for you to be taking. You don't even understand where the arrow needs to go.

You have low expectations of your accuracy. I would recommend not shooting much past 25 yards with your standards.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Practice, practice, practice..... Like I have said over and over if it isn't the shot for you then don't take it. But don't bash the guy on the video for making a shot you can't. Oh and you don't even know where the arrow needed to go.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Practice, practice, practice..... Like I have said over and over if it isn't the shot for you then don't take it. But don't bash the guy on the video for making a shot you can't.
Didnt "bash" the guy just stating the fact it is a poor shot angle.
Oh and you don't even know where the arrow needed to go.
What do you mean by that? is that supposed to be a slam?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That archer wasn't trying to center punch the elk, this is why it isn't a good shot for you to be taking. You don't even understand where the arrow needs to go.

You have low expectations of your accuracy. I would recommend not shooting much past 25 yards with your standards

And you know this how? Were you the archer in the video? If not, how do you KNOW where he wanted to hit the elk?

I don't compete in archery, but I'm quite sure my shooting ability is plenty good enough to take a shot past 25 yards, but I'll keep your recommendation in mind! whistle Let me guess, you expect robinhoods out to 60 yards.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I expect you to know that center mass isn't where you want the arrow to go.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Kill zone on a frontal shot on an elk is the size of small cantalope.30+years of hunting and shooting bows gives me all the confidence I need to execute that shot given the parameters I posted earlier.YMMV

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
HighCountry46 a small cantalope @ 20 yards is just too small a target and high risk! LMAO

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Back in 97' I shot this Antelope in Wyoming at 49 yds, I shot him in that "wonderful" frontal shot.

You can see in the picture my broadhead sticking out of his rear leg, the fletchings are barely visible in the "frontal" area underneath the bow.

[Linked Image]

After I shot him (at 49 yds.....cause I'm just that good wink ) he ran off about 100 yds away only to stand there about 5 minutes before laying down......he didnt die for about 25 minutes.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Finally dead.
[Linked Image]

Now, if that were a Whitetail deer or an Elk I am quite sure there would have been little to 0 chance of recovery but fortunately it was Wyoming where I can see for miles in every direction.

Now wanna come at me with a small cantaloupe theory? cause I know darned well the kill zone on a Antelope is much smaller than an Elks.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.