Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bloodworks
2 minutes with a lapping bar works wonders. I've had to lap Leupolds as well. They are only scope rings. We ain't talkin' quantum physics here.

I've worked a couple of examples that took far more than two minutes, and netted less than 50% contact. All of the Leupolds I've installed took minimal lapping to get to 80+% contact, and the scopes I've removed from those rings were unmarked.

The Ruger rings can be made to work, but I'd rather replace them with Leupolds at the first chance. I've not used the Burris, so I can't comment on them.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who do you guys recommend buying the Leupold rings from? Midwayusa? brownells?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I prefer the burris rings. They don't have any large headed screws hanging out. Both sides tighten so they are each windage adjustable and they look better than anything else I've used or seen. The clamping part is flush with the rest of the ring body when tight. Midway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Horseman,

Thanks! I'll look into them and midway!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've seen Ruger rings so bad, that after you lapped them enough to get 80%, the top is too loose from the bottom to actually hold the scope. You would then need to mill the flanges thinner just to get it tight. Junk.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leomort
Who do you guys recommend buying the Leupold rings from? Midwayusa? brownells?

Anybody but Leupold, they want two arms and a leg for them. The last ones I bought went 50 to 60 bucks locally. I put them on my SuperRedhawk.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here ya go:

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bloodworks
2 minutes with a lapping bar works wonders. I've had to lap Leupolds as well. They are only scope rings. We ain't talkin' quantum physics here.

+1, too many guys making a big deal out of nothing. I've used ruger rings for a long time and they work, plain and simple and I haven't had them "mark" up my scopes any worse than any other rings I've used.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wished I had some pictures of the misalignment between the rings on some of the Rugers I've had through here. I've mounted more than a few, so I guess I've ample opportunity to see bad ones.

If an installation is done correctly, you won't have "any" marks on a scope, and I've noticed a marked improvement in the POI tracking scope adjustments once any tube stress is eliminated. That scope in the picture of my RedHawk has been on several pistols, and doesn't have the first ring mark.

But, I always seem to be able to get that 10 or so per cent that will cause an issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you guys know about the Redfield mounts?
I need to pick up some 30mm rings for my best friends Ruger. For $40 some bucks I was thinking of getting him some of these rings.
What ya'll think?

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get a good [bleep] laugh at guys pokin' fun at OEM Ruger when you compare them to the "Bomb Proof Steel" picatinny mounted on a couple pairs of screws...

I've swapped scopes from one rifle to another in OEM Ruger and been within MOA. More than a couple times done it from LA to SA or SA to LA and scooted the front ring...

Even a damn fool could lap them, and a damn fool could run the flats across a stone if they were loosey goosey after lapping, but in over two dozen rifles and at least that many sets of rings, I've never seen it.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not poking fun at them, I've just never seen a set of OEM that aligned nearly as well as what I like. I do like the Ruger system, just not their rings.

A couple of sets I would consider junk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Karnis - have a similar rig on my 9.3X62mm African as yours and I agree with you... a Ruger QR setup would be icing on the cake. Regards, Homesteader.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just read a few reviews on the leupold rings for Ruger on Midway. They did not get very good reviews, at least the high ones didn't.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have one of those NECG peep sights for the Rugers and wouldn't mind if someone made QR nuts for the rugers.

I In the field I can mount/unmount the rings as they are with the back of my knife, but QR levers would be cool.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
noKnees,

Here's warne QR rings for Ruger from Midway but they didn't seem to get a good review.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=869380&cm_vc=S016

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Anybody use Conetrols on a Ruger?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Those Warnes suck nuts imo. Got several to try out and ditched them. Weld or braze a lever onto the factory nuts for quick detachment or simply use a coin. Return to POI every time I've tried. Warnes did not reliably. I've never seen any more misalignment with Ruger rings than any others I've use. DNZ one piece are the only mounts I've had that don't achieve any benefit from lapping.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Guess I will have to take a pic of the bag of junk Ruger rings I have laying around somewhere. I guess since they are so nice, I should be able to sell them here for a premium.

Yeah, they are so great that no other rifle maker has tried to imitate their design. Hell, nobody else has even bother to try and cast a set of rings other than Ruger. They machine them isntead. And our military uses picatinny rails...

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i just started back with my M77, the burris ruger-weaver rail, and Zee rings is a great match. all steel, and seems to be good quality.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 51 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,924
Posts18,518,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.