Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
U
UMT Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Scott. I remember that trip all too well. You may recall that Jim Carmichael was the only guy who got home that day after he stood in the road waving a twenty dollar bill and the extra from Deliverance gave him a ride. Petzal is a good guy and has a cutting sense of humor. I�ll be shooting with him in a African Heavy Rifle competition on Saturday and I am looking forward to it as much for his wit as for the shooting.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 222Rem
Originally Posted by HawkI
Petzal seems like a good guy from reading his stuff.....and a smartazz, which I can dig!

The easiest way to record hunting is to bait, climb and sit on your ass, so that is what is out there.

Personally, I don't watch any TV stuff. Buncha goatee'd camo goofyphuckers....

Dave always has some funny analogy or euphemisms scattered throughout his stuff; kinda like some other popular writers here....

I believe he's a pretty influential mentor and a guy that doesn't feel the need to look like a tree or pimp a single shot apparatus like a used car salesman.

I've only read his writing, but completely agree. I can only imagine how JOC and EK would be received in today's media. I see Petzal as one of the last bastions of the Old Guard. Unfortunately his type is so few and far between that he's the odd man out now, with the "goatee'd camo goofyphuckers" being the norm.

Equipment-wise these ARE the Good Ol' Days, but I think that window has passed for journalism-----------with a few notable exceptions.

x2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Petzal is a smart smartass and I like him. Met him in person and a good humble smart down-to-earth guy,. How could you as a gun owner not like his writing:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...media-cant-get-anything-right-about-guns

what other mainstream gun writer is putting out articles like this?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea, I've always thought of Petzal as an artisan (Johny B too) and the generic, Real Tree group as a bunch of house painters. As much as I love to hunt deer myself, there are times another whitetail, or T/C episode from the tree stand or box blind view almost leaves me apoplectic.

Stan Potts? Get a grip man!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave has the unmitigated effrontery to know (and to write, with dry and cutting wit) what less-experienced gun freaks won't admit to themselves that they don't know.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by UMT
Scott. I remember that trip all too well. You may recall that Jim Carmichael was the only guy who got home that day after he stood in the road waving a twenty dollar bill and the extra from Deliverance gave him a ride. Petzal is a good guy and has a cutting sense of humor. I�ll be shooting with him in a African Heavy Rifle competition on Saturday and I am looking forward to it as much for his wit as for the shooting.

I remember Carmichael doing that. I remember being in ear shot when Petzal walked up to the cab of that truck and asked if there was room for one more. Carmichael said "No" and shut the door in his face and they drove away!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Petzl is good, and certainly light years better than these morons on the "huntin" shows nowadays. Bill Heavey is another writer that is very likeable and writes good articles as well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Petzal is intelligent,which is a refreshing break in outdoor TV.

He sure beats the hell out of another "ho-hum" bowhunt with camo clad busty chicks hunting unpressured mid-western bucks raised on food plots.....

If I have to sit through another Real Tree episode and listen to the incessant babble, I'm gonna throw up....

I'll take Petzal....

Agree 100%. How many times do we have to watch tree stand hunts over food plots? Give me a break.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One rack in the tree is often better than 2 in the bush..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Petzal is okay IMO. Anybody old school is better than the new regime that pass themselves off as "gunwriters" these days.

I like Petzals straight forward style. He seems to have been around the block a few times, and I can respect that, even if I do not always agree with his opinions of certain rifles. I usually buy the "50 greatest rifles" issue every year. Every year it makes me wonder.......

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I will say this about Petzal.

Most of the 20-30 somethings have NO clue as to the man's level of overall experience with long guns. He has forgotten more about them than many young writers will ever learn.

The owners of Feild and Steaam should be SMART enough to publish a compendium of All of his Feild and Stream pieces going back to the beginning. Not only would it be a very entertaining read with much info still being applicable today, but it would ALSO give some of his critics a bit of perspective on how much the man actually knows.

I would buy a copy.

Last edited by jim62; 08/14/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by jim62

Most of the 20-30 somethings have NO clue as to the man's level of overall experience with long guns. He has forgotten more about them than many young writers will ever learn.

The owners of Feild and Steaam should be SMART enough to publish a compendium of All of his Feild and Stream pieces going back to the beginning. Not only would it be a very entertaining read with much info still being applicable today, but it would ALSO give some of his critics a bit of perspective on how much the man actually knows.

I would buy a copy.

As a thirtysomething, I'd rather have the real Dave rather than what was put in his Field and Stream epochs.....

Too much for the common Joe and probably not a scratch of what the man knows, for starters. That's why Rifle and Handloader was so good for many years.

It would be interesting to read his stuff at those levels.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I would buy a copy.

As a thirtysomething, I'd rather have the real Dave rather than what was put in his Field and Stream epochs.....

Too much for the common Joe and probably not a scratch of what the man knows, for starters. That's why Rifle and Handloader was so good for many years.

Well Hawk.. As a 30 something how many of those article of his say pre -1990 have you actually read? I bet damn few. They were not a general as you think.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s the regular gun dept columns had MUCH more space for copy than they allow the writers now. The gun dept writers like Petzal and Carmichael also had more feature articles printed as well.

His current print column is about the number of words as his blog entries(very short) and the only feature articles he seems to be involved with are " The Best guns of 2011" etc.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
This soon to be 30-something spent alot of time in library archives reading old Field and Stream magazines, including Petzal's work.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Oregon45
This soon to be 30-something spent alot of time in library archives reading old Field and Stream magazines, including Petzal's work.

Which is probably why you realize he knows whereof he speaks and appreciate his opinions.

To all gunmaker critics-
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H

I would buy a copy.

Well Hawk.. As a 30 something how many of those article of his say pre -1990 have you actually read? I bet damn few. They were not a general as you think.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s the regular gun dept columns had MUCH more space for copy than they allow the writers now. The gun dept writers like Petzal and Carmichael also had more feature articles printed as well.

His current print column is about the number of words as his blog entries(very short) and the only feature articles he seems to be involved with are " The Best guns of 2011" etc.

I have every Guns and Ammo from 1967 to 1987 and Outdoor Life from 1976 to 1985. My Handloader and Rifle magazines date to the 1970's. Ever read Wilf Pyle?

Petzal never went into his detailed reloading procedures, bullet casting or a host of other things serious shooters do in F and S, probably because F&S didn't cater to that small audience. Which is why I think his best stuff is in his noggin, not a slight on him in the least. F&S of the 1980's isn't going to delve as deep as the G&A's of old, either.

I'm pretty aware of such things.

But hey, I haven't read anything that old "pre-1990"....
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I have every Guns and Ammo from 1967 to 1987 and Outdoor Life from 1976 to 1985. My Handloader and Rifle magazines date to the 1970's. Ever read Wilf Pyle?

Yep, I have read Wilf Pyle. He has nothing to do with Dave Petzal's knowledge or previous body of work.
Neither do ANY of the magazines you have mentioned above. Petzal never wrote for any of them to my knowlege wink

I see what you are saying about Petzal probably having more to share with the reading public than what he has been given space write over the years with Field and Stream.

But frankly, if you have not read his articles in F&S from the 1970s and 19870s you are dismissing the value of something of which you do not know.

I like In depth articles like Rifle and Handloader as much as anyone. But real knowlege on a subject is based more of understanding general concepts than details anyway. Especially something to be enjoyed as a like a hobby of shooting.

My point was that a compendium on all his F&S articles would make a damn good read, not just for information or entertainment but as a historical record of the times and the guns Petzal has owned and shot- which in itself would surprise a lot of folks..

To all gunmaker critics-
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H

"They were not a general as you think."

"Besides, real knowlege is based up more of understanding general concepts than details anyway. Especially something to be enjoyed like a hobby of shooting."

I have read Petzal probably in the same capacity you have read Wilf Pyle...maybe even before 1990.

I'm not damning anything I have not read and certainly not the idea F&S making a compilation, just saying F&S schit wasn't at the level of Handloader in those days (or even now) and that it would be more interesting to meif Dave had something like that.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well that's your opinion.

It still does not seem like you have really actually read many of Petzal's F&S columns before 1990.

At least we can agree we both appreciate Petzal's writing.

Certainly more than the OP here does..LOL

To all gunmaker critics-
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Petzal is one of the good ones in several ways.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.