Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was working late and decided to drive by a pawn shop to see if anything unusual came onto the rack. Been keeping my eye out for an older marling 3030 just to have one.
Well they looked in the back and produced an older marlin 336A with a long 22" or 24" barrel, appears to be a half magazine, not drilled & tapped, non-microgrove marling in great shape. I've always liked the looks of half magazine marlins and I have a williams peep sight at home. The top of the reciever is grooved so I cringe at the thought of tapping it and hopefully will enjoy it until my eyes tell me I can't (no bifocals yet...)
$277 out the door and now I have my first marlin 3030. Can you give me any history on it? S/N is F35XXX. I know I found something out of the norm since I have rarley see these.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
By the description and the serial number I would say a 1949 Marlin waffle top 336A with a 24" barrel and the half mag.It is your rifle and you can d&t it if you want to but if it is in real good condition I would leave it as is and find another Marlin that is all ready d&t for a scope.You sure got a good deal on that one.Go to marlinowners.com and you can find more info there.

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice find and the price sounds great. I stumbled into a 1948 (first year for the 336) 336ADL a while back that had some minor abuse for a really good price. It cleaned up well and does have a shiney bore. Mine needed a taller front sight when equipped with a Williams receiver sight. I find that most of my older Marlins require a slightly taller front sight. Perhaps today's ammo flies a little faster than it used to. Back to the old eyes, I have been in tri-focals for years and the receiver sight still works for me. My distant vision is still rather good but up close is terrible. Best wishes, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put a Williams on my 336SC some years ago (also a "waffle top", no d/t). Rather than change the front sight, I removed the aperture and use it as a sorta ghost ring setup.

Full bead at 6 o'clock in the ring, is dead-nutz at 100 yards with 200gr Core Lokts. Have killed deer with it, one trottin' at about 90 yards. Works fine. Bead centered in the ring: Pretty much on at 150 yards.

That 30-30 the OP got, sounds like a sweetie from here? ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for the heads up on the front sight. I'm assuming the front sights can be swapped around and I could trade one out with a buddy that scopes his rifle. I was planning on shooting hornday leverution ammo and that might require a tall bead from peoples descriptions.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by humdinger
I was working late and decided to drive by a pawn shop to see if anything unusual came onto the rack. Been keeping my eye out for an older marling 3030 just to have one.
Well they looked in the back and produced an older marlin 336A with a long 22" or 24" barrel, appears to be a half magazine, not drilled & tapped, non-microgrove marling in great shape. I've always liked the looks of half magazine marlins and I have a williams peep sight at home. The top of the reciever is grooved so I cringe at the thought of tapping it and hopefully will enjoy it until my eyes tell me I can't (no bifocals yet...)
$277 out the door and now I have my first marlin 3030. Can you give me any history on it? S/N is F35XXX. I know I found something out of the norm since I have rarley see these.

You did extremely well on that marlin purchase....now go buy a lottery ticket. Do not drill and tap that early Marlin 336a...there are so few left with the smooth waffle top and no holes.

Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one and it was very accurate. I din't care for the long barrel.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "F" prefix to the SN indicates a 1949 production rifle. Sounds like a nice rifle and a great buy for $277. I like the balance of the 24" barreled 336As, Marlin's version of the Winchester 64.

JEff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found the same vintage Marlin with 24" barrel some time back. Mine has some rust pitting on the tang and the barrel near the front sight. Added a bold front blade sight and a Williams receiver sight and found I had a decently accurate rifle. The balance is nearly perfect for me and the longer sight radius helps with old eyes. You got a gem!

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Ward
I found the same vintage Marlin with 24" barrel some time back. Mine has some rust pitting on the tang and the barrel near the front sight. Added a bold front blade sight and a Williams receiver sight and found I had a decently accurate rifle. The balance is nearly perfect for me and the longer sight radius helps with old eyes. You got a gem!

What blade sight? (cost?) I dug through my box and found a Williams 94-36 peep and it may be low enough to avoid adding a bead, but I'm doubtfull.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Williams 5D 94/36 sight I put on my 336SC, is about 20 years old.

The original front sight on that rifle is roughly 3/8" inch above the top of the barrel and is usable with my sight. The cross arm on the Williams is not quite tight on the top of the receiver. If I removed it and radiused out a bit of material where the cross arm hits the left edge of the receiver top, could probably drop it another 1/16", but it's fine as-is.

Narrow blade, gold bead on tip of blade.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Do you have a trigger saftey block under your lever?My 1948 does not,I wonder what year Marlin started putting one on the 336.

Lakeland,Fl.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by soli
Do you have a trigger saftey block under your lever?My 1948 does not,I wonder what year Marlin started putting one on the 336.

Nope.
Hoping to get tp the range to try this rifle out on Sunday.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am pretty sure it was 1983 that the safety was added to Marlin lever guns.

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Update - rifle shoots great (1.5" group@ 100 yards, may got lucky) and cycles slick. Definitley need to get a taller front bead for the peep sight so I am open for suggestion. Still looking at firesights, but maybe there is something more traditional for a 1949 rifle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 65 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.