-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
when I order a knife, I will tell the maker what sort of pins to use. Mosaic pins work for me on some blades, less so on others.

All of my knives are users. I have no 'collectibles', show pieces or the like. Fancy knives with bling are not very interesting to me.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got 4 Ingram's, all used, all Desert Ironwood, with mosaics, and I like them.

I've got a David Winston, bone handle, stainless pin, and I like them.

I hate liners.

I hate hollow pins.

I hate micarta pins.

I dislike most bolters.

To each his own.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That makes me smile....I no longer own a knife with wood handles...I no longer own a knife with mosaics....I no longer own a knife without liners...To each his own...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I should add I hate none of those...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by 1234567
Face it, decoration is what attracks people to the high end knives.

How many use high-end knives? Before you answer that what do you call high-end?

Knives inlaid with rare and expensive metals, engraving, etching, knives made by someone such as Loveless, as the Gut Hook pictured on another thread. Knives that speak quality from just being on display, even if plain, again using Loveless' Gut Hook as an example. Other examples are the Romey and Miller knives pictured on these forums.

The OP did not specify working knives. Any high end knife can be used as a working knife, if it is really high end in material, steel, heat treating, workmanship and design.

I think Randall speaks quality and high end as loud as any maker's knives, but they are not in the $1000.00 to +$10,000.00 range. There are probably more Randalls in collections as there are working knives in the field, but they still speak quality whether in a collector's display or in a hunter's pack.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After getting to be chummy with VinceM, my definition of "high end" has changed. There's a difference between "high end" and high cost.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There is a difference between high-end and high cost for sure. $100- could be high cost for some knives. I have bought and sold knives for around 20 years. I have used knives that were very expensive all the way to a down right bargin. What I have found is there are a few makers that stand head and shoulders above. Then there is a little bit bigger group of makers that are damn fine makers.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the look of Desert Ironwood much better with Mosaics. I guess that I just like Mosaics and liners.

I just got Al Alxeander's Bartahatchie Skinner with African Zebra Wood, green liners, and mosaics. It is sweet. A hefty knife that fills my hand and purty, too.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by croldfort
I just got Al Alxeander's Bartahatchie Skinner with African Zebra Wood, green liners, and mosaics. It is sweet. A hefty knife that fills my hand and purty, too.

So where is the picture?! Come'on, you should know the rules! wink

Seriously, while I appreciate the workmanship of the Ingrams and Mays that we see here, I am looking for a knife that will fill my hands better -- I like Zebrawood, so yours sounds very interesting!

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, you can see a pic of this knife on the post "Another Bartahatchie Skinner" by aablades posted 7/31.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Congratulations. That's a great looking knife. The lines on his Bartahatchie Skinner are very fine indeed...and yours in particular is a sweet package.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John, you can see a pic of this knife on the post "Another Bartahatchie Skinner" by aablades posted 7/31.

Found it!

[Linked Image]

Sweet! Are the scales nice and thick too?

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure how to answer. I believe that they are thicker than most of these type of knives.

http://aablades.blademakers.com/

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks croldfort

Before I posted I visited the website, but found no pictures of his knives from above.

Oh well, perhaps I will just have to order what I want! smile

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jpb

Seriously, while I appreciate the workmanship of the Ingrams and Mays that we see here, I am looking for a knife that will fill my hands better -- I like Zebrawood, so yours sounds very interesting!

John

You could also take a look at David Winston knives which are thicker through the handle than Ingram and May knives.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RDFinn,

Thanks for the info.

I have seen pictures of some Winstons, but I was not aware that the handles were thicker so I will pay more attention to them from now on.

John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by jpb

John

You could also take a look at David Winston knives which are thicker through the handle than Ingram and May knives.

I'm sure that if you asked Ingram or May, they would be happy to make the scales thicker for you. My experience with Gene is that he is pretty much willing to change any of his designs to suit your desires. And was extremely easy to deal with...

Andrew
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info. I will keep'em in mind!

I guess I had been overlooking these two makers because all the customs of both makers that I have seen so far were customized in everything except thicker scales.

John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 14 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.