Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I bought a 2005 Ultra 223 Varmint Handi-rifle way back before Christmas and didn't get around to shooting it until yesterday. The rifle has the older 1:12 rifling but is in like new condition. No complaints about the rifles condition at all. It came topped with an even older Weaver V9 3x9 with an adjustable objective. The scope has seen better days, but it's still clear.

So let the whining begin. First I couldn't hit the paper even at. 50yds until I started shooting far left, far right, far up, and far down. Turns out it was 2ft high at 50yds. This was a little irritating b/c the rifle was advertised as being sighted in, but no biggie really. After confirming where it was hitting I took the adjustment knob caps off. Ohhhh no. These had definitely seen better days and there wasn't much click left to confirm each increment of adjustment. I did finally get it sighted in to dead on bullseye, and it appeared to hold a zero once it was set. Whether it will still be set the next time I shoot it remains to be seen.

I cranked the magnification all the way up and began shooting for groups using the worst imaginable ammo for such a task: Herters (russian) cheap-azz steel cased 55gr fmj at $3.99 a box. Surprisingly, it did pretty good. I could tell when I flinched and when I did not by forming 2 consistent 1" groups at 50yds. At least my flinch was consistent enough to form a decent group.

Then I moved to the 100yd range, and my. First shot was about 7" high. Unfortunately I could not verify that the first shot was a flinch or a scope issue since the case got stuck. I'd been firing at a steady pace, and the rifle was pretty hot. My fault, but I had to go home early.

I think this is one deal where I didn't necessarily get screwed but I probably paid close to retail without tax included. Overall, I am still happy with the rifle based on its 50yd performance as I bought it primarily as a plinker and as something my kids can learn with. The scope issue, if it is an issue, is fixable, and even though the rifling isn't optimal for heavier bullets used for hunting, a 55gr FMJ through the ears of a hog means pork for dinner.

Yes, I was dreaming of 1" groups at 100yds, but that may still be possible with decent ammo and a newer scope. As a plinker and tool for the young'ns to pop hogs with, thumbs up so far.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TX - Sounds like the rifle shoots pretty good. I think you need to sight it in at 25 yards instead of 50 for it to be on at 100 yards as I remember.

It also amazes me how good that cheap .223 ammo. can be. I've shot it in several rifles and it was very accurate. Don't have to worry about keeping up with the brass either. I doubt that your scope is doing you any favors but if you shot that kind of group at 50 yards it should do just as well as 100 yards. Don't know how much you paid for it but I'll be you could get a hundred bucks for that scope easily so you may not be in it all that deep.

The only thing I ever disliked about those rifles is the trigger. I have read that they are pretty easy to lighten up but I never tried it. I am like you that the 55 gr. bullets are probably as heavy as that twist will stabilize. I had a similar situation with a .222 that had been rechambered to .223 and it had a slow twist. 50 gr. bullets - great. 55 gr. bullets - very nice. Heaver bullets - crap. Would not hit the paper or would keyhole. Good luck.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Yes sir, the trigger is noticeable. I think the rifle is worth another couple efforts, and as long as I and the kids are happy with a plinker, then we'll keep it as is. No reason 2" groups with the cheapest ammo available shouldn't be good enough. I'll try some 62gr just to see how it does, and I'll make a judgment call on the scope after another couple range sessions.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Yes sir, the trigger is noticeable. I think the rifle is worth another couple efforts, and as long as I and the kids are happy with a plinker, then we'll keep it as is. No reason 2" groups with the cheapest ammo available shouldn't be good enough. I'll try some 62gr just to see how it does, and I'll make a judgment call on the scope after another couple range sessions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one of these at that time, when they had very nice Myrtle stocks. I had some of the same issues, here is what I did to fix mine:

1 - check the scope mount - that is likely the main issues. I couldn't do it back then, but now I would throw it out and get a DNZ for it, but keep the shims handy, NEF holes ain't always driled perfectly straight, especially int he 2005 timeframe

2 - Attach a Harris bipod to the front and only shoot a th the bench this way. Keeps same pressure the same way

3 - get a small torque wrench and find the torque value of the forend screw when it is attached. Each time you clean it, go back to that torque wrench. helps to keep it with you - it can be used to tune te gun like a BOSS

4 - Fiberglass be the inside of the forend, so that weather will not affect it.

5 - stay away from mil-surp ammo, it will stick, and full length re-size your ammo if handloading

If you are willing to do the above and toy with it, you should be able to get it to 1 MOA,,,have fun!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B2

I tried factory ammo with my H&R 223 varmint got 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 in groups at 100 yds try reloading. Got .585 in group at 100 yds. with 24.5 gr benchmark and 50 gr nosler bt. good luck mine is alot of fun to shoot.

I'm not insensitive, I just don't care
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Schitcan the scope, and the ammo, and try again with stuff that's actually conducive to showing you what it can do.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 160user, 1234, 70 invisible), 3,298 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,748
Posts18,514,626
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.