Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I will be hunting Eastern Moose this fall. I've been told to expect that most shot opportunties will probably be under 100 yards but that 250 -300 yards shots are not out of the question.

I will be using a .308 WIN Browning BLR. What do you think would be the better choice - 150 TTSXs or 168 TTSXs?

My gut tells me 168 grainers, but with only a 20" barrel, I am wondering if velocities will be too low to get adequate expansion using these bullets at the upper, possible shot opportunity ranges (i.e., 250-300 yards).

BTW, I will developing loads using VARGET(all I've got at the moment), and so I am expecting my max velocities to be in the 2610 fps or less range (based on Barnes #4 data with 45.5 grains of Varget and max velocity of 2712 fps using a 24" barrel).

Thanks

Last edited by BearClan; 08/19/11.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Either one will work to perfection if inserted in the proper location

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
+1

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm not John, obviously. I agree with careful bullet placement and Varget powder.

Two points: Barnes, IIRC, states that 1,800 fps is needed for good performance of their TTSX bullets.

Barnes bullets penetrate, performing with lighter weights than cup and core. I would check a ballistic program for the estimated velocity of each bullet at your max proposed range.

I'd probably go with the 150, knowing it will penetrate enough to do the job and it should be moving a bit faster than the 168. Barnes bullets like speed.

IMHO,

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'd probably lean toward the 150 as well, partly because I have seen what a tipped monolithic from a short-barreled .308 does to game bigger than deer. But the 168 would no doubt work fine too.

Varget's about as good as it gets when loading the .308 with medium-weight bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'd probably lean toward the 150 as well, partly because I have seen what a tipped monolithic from a short-barreled .308 does to game bigger than deer. But the 168 would no doubt work fine too.

Varget's about as good as it gets when loading the .308 with medium-weight bullets.

I'm interested in hearing you expand on this John. Did the bullet not expand?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Simple, they work

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

Simple, they work

Yup. Always... 150 TTSX from 308 Win on elk. Hit nothing on its way, didn't open and tumbled:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by chicoredneck

I'm interested in hearing you expand on this John. Did the bullet not expand?

I intepret Mule Deer's statement as meaning that the 150 TTSX should work fine with my quarry based on his observations on its effects on game larger than deer.

As for the adequacy of both 150's and 168 TTSXs for moose, that is great. I will then simply picked what is most accurate (as long as velocities with the accurate load are not too low).

Thanks for the input.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Brad

Simple, they work

Yup. Always... 150 TTSX from 308 Win on elk. Hit nothing on its way, didn't open and tumbled:

[Linked Image]

You have more bad luck than 100 ohers combined

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bad luck?

I don't know. He recovered the bullet from a dead animal, right?

What's not to like?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Any bullet is going to screw up sometime. My experience is the tipped monolithics (whether TTSX or Nosler E-Tip or whatever) fail to expand less frequently than hollow-pointed monolithics. In fact I haven't see one that failed to expand yet (aside from Brad's, that is) and I've seen quite a few shot into animals from coyotes to big elk in the past several years.

For anybody who didn't quite understand my first post, my opinion is the 150 would work just fine. In fact I'm so impressed with the performance of 150-grain tipped monolithics in .30 caliber that I'm considering switching to them for most of my larger-than-deer big game hunting, whether in the .308, .30-06 or .300 H&H, the three .30's I hunt with most.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in '78 0r '79 a fifteen year old kid working for me in Cody, Wy., was fortunate enough to draw, on his first try, a moose tag. Neither he nor his dad were serious hunters or even shooters but they headed up the north fork of the Shoshone river opening morning and the kid, with his first shot with a .308 and factory ammo of some unknown weight, dropped his moose.

Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any bullet is going to screw up sometime. My experience is the tipped monolithics (whether TTSX or Nosler E-Tip or whatever) fail to expand less frequently than hollow-pointed monolithics. In fact I haven't see one that failed to expand yet (aside from Brad's, that is) and I've seen quite a few shot into animals from coyotes to big elk in the past several years.

For anybody who didn't quite understand my first post, my opinion is the 150 would work just fine. In fact I'm so impressed with the performance of 150-grain tipped monolithics in .30 caliber that I'm considering switching to them for most of my larger-than-deer big game hunting, whether in the .308, .30-06 or .300 H&H, the three .30's I hunt with most.
Makes sense, why beat the crap out of your shoulder if there's no difference. Just like back in the day, never could tell the difference between 150's & 130's in .270, or 150's & 170's in .30-30, so I just default to the lighter bullet if all else is equal.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Brad

Simple, they work

[Linked Image]

Not trying to start anything but it almost looks like dirt in the nose of that bullet?

Corey

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Flare

Not trying to start anything but it almost looks like dirt in the nose of that bullet?

Corey

Apparently you're prone to mistaking fat for dirt...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

John, I think the tipped monolithic's are too new to be dogmatic about failure rates compared to the older open point designs (of which I've seen and experienced many failures).

What I'm certain of is that there are more failures to expand (per capita) of expanding-monolithic's than lead-based premiums.

Obviously all things man-made fail, but I'm fairly convinced the expanding-monolithic's are more prone to opening-failure than the lead-based brethren.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Certain are you? You have scientific data to back that up, right?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brad,

You have a point, but I've been shooting tipped mono's into game since 2007, when I took a batch of pre-production E-Tips to South Africa on a cull hunt. They were 180's in a .300 Winchester, going about 3000 fps, and worked perfectly on close to 20 animals ranging from 75-pound springbok at close to 400 yards to blue wildebeest at 25 yards. Blues are basically the size of elk, and I deliberately shot the shoulder knuckle on a quarter-on shot. Eileen took a .308 loaded with 150 E-Tips on a combined cull/trophy hunt to RSA the next year and had similar results on a bunch of animals from a 20-pound monkey to a 600-pound zebra.

In North America Eileen, companions and I and have also used E-Tips and Tipped TSX's ranging from 90-grain 6mm to 180 .30 on animals from coyotes to big bull elk. Same results. I would have to look at my hunting notes to add them all up, but the total is at least 50 animals, and probably more. Haven't seen one fail to open yet.

That's maybe 1/3 of the number of hollow-point "petal" bullets I've seen shot into big game (which would include the Combined Technology Fail Safe as well as the original X and TSX) but the failure-to-open phenonomenon I've seen from those bullets is around one in 25--though always from bullets of .30 caliber or less. The bigger ones have big enough hollow-points to open, at least if the impact velocity is sufficient.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd gladly go with the 150gr TTSX. The extra velocity over the 168gr version may come in handy, but on the other hand I doubt if you'd notice any benefit in the 168gr TTSX over the 150.

And I've shot and seen shot about a dozen game animals with the TTSX now (and probably about 75 with the TSX), and I have yet to see a failure. Add that to John's talley, and it's getting fairly statistically significant. Especially if you talley the experience of all the members here combined, with Brad's single TTSX failure (to my knowledge. I haven't read or heard of any others with TTSX's). That's probably somewhere close to 1 failure in 500 kills, I would guess. The total kill count may even be quite a bit higher than that, who knows. But what I know is that I've only seen Brad's 1 TTSX failure to expand (which I'll take every time over a bullet coming apart and failing to penetrate. At least you end up with an unexpanded bullet through the heart/lungs/CNS).

My point is- the 150gr TTSX will likely be your huckleberry smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,475
Posts18,529,535
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.