Print Thread
Hop To
D
duck911 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a PTO day today and set out into the mountains above Loveland, Co to scout for deer. Archery season open a week from tomorrow! My intent was three-fold:

1) not be at work
2) get some fresh air
3) hang a trail camera in a promising location for a "week soak"

I accomplished 2 of my 3 goals! blush

I cruised into the hills into an area I'd considered in the past, as it's close to home and prime for quick evening hunts. Although it's mule deer country, the mountains and draws make it ripe for hanging a ladder stand. Not the prototypical method for mulies, I know, but it's my plan to attempt to pattern a few small deer and hopefully stick one while relaxing in the evenings in a stand.

Anyhow, 2 or 3 miles from the trail head I was down in a deep, thick willow draw between 2 mountains, an area about 20 yards across with a small, 2 foot wide meandering creek running down the middle.

I was seeing game trails all over and they became bigger and bigger until they started looking like 4 foot wide highways with large twigs broke off 3 or 4 foot high.

I obviously suspected that I'd arrived in moose country but continued looking for deer sign and a natural choke point to hang my trail cam. A kept creeping forward and the draw came to a natural funnel point, with a steep grade on both sides. On way in, one way out. Just as I slowed to consider turning back, a large, LARGE, fully grown, MASSIVE LARGE bull moose stood up from his bed 7 or 8 yards in front of me. We startled each other as much as anything else.

I damn near [bleep] my pants. He had one (easy) way out - through me. We stood and stared at each other for a full 10 seconds, before he started snorted and getting agitated.

I S-L-O-W-E-L-Y backed off about 30 yards to a point where I could retreat via the hillside - he watched me impatiently the entire time.

My .357 revolver on my hip felt inadequately small. I was planning on bumping into a small black bear at the worse, or else I would have brought the .44.

Then the lightening rolled in, so I high tailed it out of there. Long story short, the camera didn't get strapped to a tree. I hit happy hour on the way back into town instead and relaxed once I got home grin

The only two animals, right wrong or indifferent, that truly scare me in the wild are moose and mountain lions. I was just glad to be able to back out and head home!!

--Duck911

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you should've cut you a keen switch, whooped his azz, and went on about yo' business.. smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
4-5 years back I was on vacation out in North Dakota and I was walking some TNC prairie. All of a sudden there's a ruckus in the little ravine I am walking alongside and I see this big black thing go up the opposite side. I am thinking buffalo when this moose raises his head over the brush to look me over from 25-30 feet. I backed away slowly taking pictures while he gave me the look. A year or two later I stopped by a little stream to check it out and here's another damn moose inside fifty feet.

I don't care what it is in North America, I would rather take my chances with any of them other than polar bears than a damn moose. I do not think moose know from one second to the next what they are going to do.

C
C
I hunted west of Loveland for around 20 years and never seen any moose, didn't know there was any around that area. Now live in the Idaho panhandle and there are lots of moose in this area.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
you should've cut you a keen switch, whooped his azz, and went on about yo' business.. smile

Yup, that's what I'd have done, LMAO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Knew a guy from ME who was hunting deer and while on stand
turned his head and the biggest bull moose he ever laid eyes
on was standing about 10 feet from him. Said it startled him
pretty bad, it turned and was gone in a matter of seconds.
Told me it hardly made a sound as it sneaked through the woods.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Close call here.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by schoolmarm

Now that right there is damned funny..........'bout choked on my beer !!!!!!!!!!!

MM

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bull moose this time of year are fairly easy going. Cows with calves are another story and around here the most common dangerous animal we encounter on the trails and woods.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
one deer season,years ago,I was on my stand before first light,as per usual,in the north half of minnesota.
I heard what sounded like a damn freight train coming through the woods,snapping branches ,crunching leaves underfoot.

Thought it was probably one of those city boys moving in on me.

Whatever it was passed by within a few yards and kept going.Daylight came along and gave evidence of large cloven hoof prints.
A small bull was sighted within a few weeks,moose being rare in the area,it was probably the same.

Last edited by fluffy; 08/20/11. Reason: comma

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Had these guys in my yard this week. The big one was as big as any I've ever seen.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's becuase that place is so poplar

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dave284
Close call here.

Dave.

that AH deserved to get hooked for taking that shot.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
'bout stepped on a cow while wading through head high or better brush a few years back...phew...scared the b'jesus outta me. Luckily for me and her, she decided to go AWAY from me. Never forget it, she sounded like a pig grunting as she trotted away.

After a few more steps I found her bed in the wet leaves, along with the little ones bed...they had gotten up in the AM and been chewing on some Maple trees when I rousted them. I hung a 90 and decided to give them ALOT of room...lol...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's becuase that place is so poplar

Oh, oh, oh - grrrroaann.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 338reddog, 204guy, 1lessdog, 2ndwind, 24 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,446
Posts18,507,896
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.