Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Cheesy and JoeMama: I help out with the local Hunter Safety hands on handling and shooting Range Day, and the instructors and state official instructors I have interacted with several times a year over the past many years have all been pretty skookum guys!
In other words done an excellent and apprciative job of volunteering for the young folks mandated classes.
I call upon you two, Cheesy and JoeMama, to be first in line to bring your "perfection" to the class rooms and to the range for next years "Hunter Education Classes".
Maybe I will see you there?
Somehow... I doubt it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[Linked Image]

Not a state 'mandated' class, but a backyard class, my backyard, my clays, my birds, my shells, my guns, trying to teach a coworkers son a few things about how to shoot a shotgun. That is me bent over for the camera, trying to show him foot position, rather than standing all rigid, leaning back like he was shooting a rifle. This was last week. This is on top of watching some ultra-liberal friends of my wife's kids a few weeks ago, and doing the same. They'd never even seen a real gun in person, let alone hold one, shoot one, and hit the targets like they were doing in my backyard.

As efw said, making a valid criticism is not the same as saying I'm perfect.

Take your 'I doubt it' and go.....hold into the wind I guess.

(Ignore attachment, same as what is embedded above)

Actually I totally agree, maybe not with the wording or how it was said, but yes, if you know better go do it and make it better. Its exactly why I taught for many years...
Kinda like not voting and then bitchin...

And from the posts I"ve seen you make, I think you'd make a good instructor too!

Just a shame more don't get involved.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Brother_Bill
If/when the day comes for them to sit through a formal course in order to hunt someplace with that requirment...it will be just that, a formality.

Yep. My son went through it at 8 yo last spring and this is all it was for him. He already knew everything that was covered and more, had handled 2 weapons of his own (one daisy and one .22/410) under my close supervision, and was WAY ahead of his cohorts.

Lets face it. There is a trend in our society away from parents taking responsibility for teaching their kids pretty much everything. I got called on the carpet with this when I suggested to our elder that he and I cover sex ed in sunday school. He was firmly against it for this reason... parents need to step up to the plate and the schools and church can't do it for them/us. I conceeded that he was right on because I hadn't ever thought about it that way at all.

JoeMama Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495

Actually I totally agree, maybe not with the wording or how it was said, but yes, if you know better go do it and make it better. Its exactly why I taught for many years...
Kinda like not voting and then bitchin...

Just a shame more don't get involved.

From what the instructor shared, the State of Michigan requires a one week class (usually offered in July) every two years to stay current. That is just a little tough to bench-press with the limited vacation I have and the need to coordinate with all the other people in the department at work. Most of them seem to be pretty fond of taking vacation in July.

I suspect that might be why Hunter Safety instructors are skewed toward retirees. I will put it on the bucket list for post retirement.

-Joe

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I remember when I took my safety course in the 1980s they
showed a small video of a hunter who was mistaken for a
turkey and another hunter shot him. Very graffic video.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Looks to me like your instructor was mistaken or you misunderstood:

http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_39267-139685--,00.html

Instructor Certification Qualifications

An individual desiring certification as an adult instructor with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment Hunter Education Program shall meet the following requirements:

Be at least 18 years of age.
Be a high school graduate or possess a graduate equivalency diploma (GED).
Have no felony convictions.
Have no misdemeanor convictions within the past three (3) years.
Have no Natural Resource Law convictions that result in the revocation of hunting or trapping license privileges within the last five (5) years. (Other convictions of Natural Resource Law violations are subject to review and may result in the rejection of any application.)
Maintain a high moral and ethical character to pass the required background investigations.
Be a graduate of a basic hunter education course or if born before January 1, 1960, be a graduate of a basic hunter education course or have prior hunting experience.
How do I apply to become an Instructor

Instructor applicants obtain an application packet from Marketing Education and Technology, Recruitment and Retention Section, at 517-335-3418.
Applicants will be provided a Policy and Procedure Manual, a Hunter Education student manual, an application form and a take home test covering these materials. This test must be completed within 45 days and returned to the Division office for scoring. A minimum score of 85% is required to pass the test. Re-testing is allowed at the option of the Department.
Assist with the instruction of a basic hunter education course. Each new instructor is required to student teach a minimum of one class with a currently certified instructor who will sign the instructor's application form as the mentor. It is the responsibility of the county coordinator/conservation officer to make certain that the instructor trainee understands how to set up a class, complete the required forms and order student materials.
Complete and submit application and test as required.

I was just recently certified as an instructor and have never heard anything about a wk of continuing ed to keep that certification. Perhaps the person you spoke with was talking about what is needed to be an administrator of the program rather than just an instructor?

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd like to see someone come out here and not hunt hot while hunting doves.

Hunting hot or cold is personal opinion,not fact.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by JoeMama
"If you go into the woods at 90 degrees east, you get out by going west 180 degrees."

What the heck?

Sure! And if you go 180 degrees far enough you'll eventually come to the West Pole.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I teach hunter safety and bowhunter safety and we don't say any of that. It's 12 hours. We do 8 hours the first day, and I stop to cook lunch for everyone. After 4 the second day, I take anyone who wants to shoot a .22 out to the range and let them shoot until they get tired and go home.

The most important thing I see in our program is treestand safety. We set up a ladder, climber, and lock on, and we get in them and hop out to show how to get back in. Tie your harness rope as high and taut as you can so you don't fall so far you can't climb back in your stand.

We also get a very favorable response to our segment on survival. People don't think about it at all. I do the rule of 3's : 3 hours without thermal protection, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. I tell everyone to carry a space blanket and at least 2 ways to start a fire. I show them how to build a fire, even in the rain, and how to make a little shelter and use a space blanket.

Just about everyone in class knows how to use a gun or bow. We go over how to check a variety to see if they are loaded and show how they function. How to use the different sights and obvious safety stuff. With archery, we spend time on tracking wounded game.

You've got to realize that we are all volunteers and do what we do because we love the sport and want it to continue. You can't really get too upset. Experience is the best teacher anyway.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll say this, if you can't take time to do it all, and I know how that goes, then you can and still should certify and get with other instructors... I'd have LOVED to team teach... it would have taken a load off me...

I did team teach with a couple others, but never got reciprocal help.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have taught hunter safety in SD for 30 years. Teaching 11 and 12 year old boys and girls is rewarding but also very challenging. It takes dedication and time to do a good job, and we have day jobs and personal lives that need attention too. I would like to do a better job, but resources are limited. Many kids of single parents will get information only from an instructor and Uncle Bob, who road hunts with a beer in his hand.

Constructive criticism and help with grading, shooting instruction and other aspects of the course are appreciated. When you take the test and get certified, you are humbled by how much knowledge there is to pass along and how little time is available to do that.

Team teaching helps immeasurably, and the reading challenges many children have today is depressing. I really doubt many teach just for the price breaks on products, as I can usually do better at my LGS.

"It's what they know that's just not so", often attributed to Mark Twain but that's just not so either
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Price breaks on products... you suck... we never got that, at least not that I recall....

I'm about to switch from having not taught hunter ed for a number of years now, to newly required boater ed... seems like I see more stupid stunts in boats than with hunting..... but I"M green on teaching boat stuff so we'll see...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, on some price breaks through the International Hunter Ed Association. Some with up to 60% breaks. With near 30 seasons of teaching behind me, I've yet to take advantage of those offers. A token return given that I put in about 150 hrs of effort for the program each year, and give up at least one or two of my weekends attending conferences to stay current.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/21/11.

1Minute
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,295
Posts18,525,777
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.