Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by PaleRider
Originally Posted by ingwe
Uh-oh...looks like logcutter has spawned....

Careful ingwe - he's probably in good enough shape to carry a really heavy rifle.... grin

And kick my azz running "threw" the thick brush..... eek

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
LOL!!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! bring up a discussion and people don't like it......I've hunted a lot of places....same technique...scout...scout...scout....talked to hundreds of people about the subject..got one thought...people I know and have met thank its easier to run there food plots and hunt over them...that's fine..

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hell, I certainly don't consider taking a deer from a TREESTAND as old school.

I haven't been in a treestand since the early 90's after realizing, this sucks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wvhunter is still stirring the pot huh? Remember this thread?
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4292395/1

Wvhunter, what I really want to know is if you ever returned the $70 bucks to the guy from AR that tried to do business with you? grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I will never sit on water, on the edge of a hayfield?

Of course.....grin

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wvhunter
I never use live bait TED!!! that's boring!!!!

See...I catch fish...you just fish. Cating fish isn't boring.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old school, hmmm, I remember old school deer hunting. As a preteen in 1960, They would put me on the back of a jeep dog box and ride the country roads with a 12ga and buckshot. Put a load of buckshot in one and turn the hounds aloose. Old school? No thanks, I taught my kids woodskills and stalking. We hunt food plots, stalk, and use tree stands.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
anytime i watch a hunting show, not all but most, and im only refering to whitetail episodes i think to myself, ide like to see ya do that in MAINE or NEW HAMPSHIRE, and not out on the coast either where the deer are chewing on peoples shrubs and playing w/ the cat. even w/ a fod plot up here the deer population is so low (0-2 deer per sq mile in places) it would be tough, so the cost would become an issue for me proving to make it worth doing. much cheaper to find a big track up north and chase hime down. plus you get to see some cool country, its always a different adventure and most often, they show you more pockets of deer. i dont know if you could call any of these things you guys are talking about old school. they are just different ways to hunt. different strokes for different folks. some years when im not seeing many deer i wish sometime i had a pile of grain somewheres lol but then again my morals make me feel guilty and wouldnt be real proud of myself.

btw, no body has mentiond 'driving deer'. isnt that pretty old school.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Uh-oh...looks like logcutter has spawned....

This OP did the same troll last year about this time, IIRC..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wvhunter
...people I know and have met thank its easier to run there food plots and hunt over them...that's fine..

I thank it is two early on a monday mourning to respond to a post lack this...

Their are two many ways two make phun of this, and it is two EZ....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I won't bad mouth anybody's way of hunting as long as it is legal where you hunt. Someways I don't believe I'd like to do but that is no sign that everybody else has to feel the same way.

A lot depends on where you hunt and what the terrain is. Just for instance I saw a reference to thousands of acres to wander in.

Where I hunt I can't think of a place where a twenty minute walk in any direction wouldn't put you on somebody elses land. That ain't too cool down here. You go wandering around on your own couple of hundred acres and all you acomplish is running the deer over on your neighbor for a while.

By necessity it is a sit and wait game here. If you have to sit and wait you might as well have something to wait for because it is a lead pipe cinch your neighbors have feeders or food plots out.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kill my deer by wandering the woods,looking for BigFoot....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Running deer with dogs is a big deal around here(Tidewater Virginia). Not my cup of tea, though. To me, the dogs are the ones "hunting" and the standers are just "shooting". I understand it's a southern tradition, but being a displaced mid-westerner it's just not my style.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amen to that.It's still done in Eastern NC,I don't care for it myself.I've shot one buck,that had been "run",never again,worst meat I ever had...my dog didn't like either.....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Spotlighting hayfields at midnight seems to work. At least a few days before the season opens...and you don't have to wear orange!

Use a suppressor and you can usually get 3 or 4 of 'em before they figure out what's goin on.

In all seriousness, though, I haven't hunted deer from a stand over a food plot, but I've sat on the approach to a hayfield, and I've hunted black bear over bait. I don't much care for the way they show it on TV, hunting with a guide in a treehouse over an alfalfa field; but I can't knock it for someone who wants to do it that way.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I disagree there is no skill in food plots. You still need to figure out what they eat, what grows in your area at the right time of year, get your stand placement correct, hunt durring the right wind, etc. Lots of things go into setting a plot. You don't just plop them into woods and shoot a 160.

That being said, I've never hunted over one. I hunt mostly big woods public land where there isn't a food plot or field within 10 miles.

The private land I do hunt, is surronded by big woods public land, so it's the same type of hunting.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
soory you guys have to due that....i have thousands of acers to hunt on....i have been asked to hunt down south over plots and i told them no thinks...they tell me a different story......one made refernace to catching fish in a barrell...its not for me....i guess my poor under devloped mountains are good for one thing...tracking an old trophy buck threw some of the thickest country you have ever seen...

Lets see you trophy mountain trophy buck?

Last edited by tzone; 08/22/11.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Their are two many ways two make phun of this, and it is two EZ...

You don't like the way he due things?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pennsylvania hunters often use the drive technique and fast handling carbines to get the job done. Its not uncommon for hunters to take 3 - 6 deer per drive effort depending upon many factors. But modern bolt action rifles and tree ladder stands are more for the lone hunters instead of "gang" drivers and posters. Both methods work but the guys I know focus upon drives.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.