-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi guys. I have been shooting fingers for the last while. Since I am starting to get more serious about bowhunting, I am looking at getting a release for more consistent accuracy. My question is, do I need to shorten my draw length to accomodate the release? The reason that I ask is my bow is already adjusted to the shortest draw length that it can go. I was wondering if I could get a release without changing my draw length?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I would not shorten any thing just by a comterble release or try them untell you find one that you like. I have shott a release for about 5 years and have not had to shorten anything. If you ask me you do not need to shorten you draw length then what it is.

I am NOT PERFECT but I can PRAY for others
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is not an easy question without knowing the bow you have. For example all the current Mathews bows have a solid wall and you need to be at that wall to be consistant. I have a Martin with a wishy washy wall and I can do just fine with a very consistant hold but If I'm not holding perfect the shot is bad.

With a release you will in nearly every case draw a shorter length then with fingers. If not then you will need to relearn your anchor point all over again. If you are going to a release and your at the shortest draw possible I think your gonna have an issue sooner or later.

Speaking only for myself, archery is enough of a challange without comprimising with a poor fitting bow. I'm going to guess that you can go to a Proshop and have then swap a cam or wheel and get the reduction you need. If you must reduce it by a lot that's OK let it go lower and then use a string loop or metal loop. I have a string loop on the Legacy and a metal loop on my Martin bowfishing bow. Both work well but the heavy string loop is quieter to attach the release to.

I doubt you will be perfectly happy with a release using the same draw length. If you use the string itself for the release instead of the string loop you will be pretty hard on the serving where the release connects. That is why I like a string loop for my release.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SS, try shooting several releases at your pro shop... In particular look at those with the trigger close to the end of the head itself (jaws). One that comes to mind is the "Short and Sweet" by TruBall or their "Cyclone" which can be adjusted quite short. Both can help a lot without losing much draw length.
Typical fingers anchor location is much different than a release and you may need to experiment a bit...don't be afraid to slide your peep up or down to suit. The anchor is whats important here so establish that first and move the sights.
Im betting you can make your bow work just fine. BT53

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 22magnut, 46 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,568
Posts18,510,712
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.