Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
If you worked thru college as a mechanic and were not impressed by GM but impressed by dodge then there is nothing I can do for you.

I'm not particularly impressed with either of them, but of the two GM is by far the least impressive. I'm sure you're correct that there's nothing you can do for me.

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Ford outsells Chevy do they not ?

You didn't say Chevy, you said GM and Chevy. As I'm sure you know, GM and Chevy combined sell more trucks than Ford, which explains why there are more on the road. (There goes that logic stuff) It also explains why there are likely more of them in junkyards around the country.

Actually you are wrong on the sales figure as well. IF GM is junk then there is nothing I can do for you. I know that old Dodge was junk the new ones seem better but still not GM in overall quality.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seriously,quality overall is so close to the same,1/2% or so,sort of thing,doing brands is even more meaningless than 257Wea vs 264WM. That doesn't say there aren't some quality issues,such as old Powerstrokes and Detroits.The 6-speed GM/Ford auto has some work to do,better off with the M-B 5speed, at least it has simple preventive fixs.I really wonder about the new small displacement, high output engines when loaded.I don't think they are designed for full load.The 4.7 Dodge when heavily used fries the oil.

Used Dodges were at one time almost as good a buy as Cornbinders.Not anymore,GMs have that around here.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
. (There goes that logic stuff) It also explains why there are likely more of them in junkyards around the country.

The reason there are more of them in the junk yards is because they're junk...most of em anyway.

Last edited by tzone; 08/21/11.

Camp is where you make it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Seriously,quality overall is so close to the same,1/2% or so,sort of thing,doing brands is even more meaningless than 257Wea vs 264WM. That doesn't say there aren't some quality issues,such as old Powerstrokes and Detroits.The 6-speed GM/Ford auto has some work to do,better off with the M-B 5speed, at least it has simple preventive fixs.I really wonder about the new small displacement, high output engines when loaded.I don't think they are designed for full load.The 4.7 Dodge when heavily used fries the oil.

Used Dodges were at one time almost as good a buy as Cornbinders.Not anymore,GMs have that around here.

Every brand has its strong points and some have serious weak points. I look at the combination of all and it points to GM. I don't know where the GM horror stories come from but it must be generated by jealous Ford owners and we have the internet. I repeat I see more of them on the road in all age ranges then any Ford or Dodge by far. That said I am not exactly happy with the way the corporation is headed. I doubt I buy another unless they radically change direction with the policies of the white house.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tzone
. (There goes that logic stuff) It also explains why there are likely more of them in junkyards around the country.

The reason there are more of them in the junk yards is because they're junk...most of em anyway.

More of that junk is registered in DMV offices throughout the US then any other brand except Toyota. Ford outsells GM by 100-200K vehicles a year. I used to be a truck manager for Ford in the 80's ..their downhill slide started back then.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both Ford and GM use the very same 6-speed auto,both are tarred with the same brush. I'll suspect the Aisin(sp) auto is the best.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Both Ford and GM use the very same 6-speed auto,both are tarred with the same brush. I'll suspect the Aisin(sp) auto is the best.

I have driven the 6 spd Ford and GM and still don't see what the deal is with them. They don't get any better gas mileage but I bet they are complicated as hell and expensive to fix.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
# of times fixed.Given some more testing by the suckers,errr buyers,they should turn out OK. The Allison did.My hunting partner ,a real Ford man,is more than a little anal on research. His choice is the Dodge with the M-B,just over the tranny.The M-B is the one used on their big Merc. It's a 5 speed,but also has a passing only gear. When a separate oil cooler and a hydrualic filter are added,they are good trannies.That's good advice for all autos.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
# of times fixed.Given some more testing by the suckers,errr buyers,they should turn out OK. The Allison did.My hunting partner ,a real Ford man,is more than a little anal on research. His choice is the Dodge with the M-B,just over the tranny.The M-B is the one used on their big Merc. It's a 5 speed,but also has a passing only gear. When a separate oil cooler and a hydrualic filter are added,they are good trannies.That's good advice for all autos.

I am putting off any new truck purchases until someone comes out with a turbo 4 or 5 cylinder diesel..even if it is a little smaller then my Silverado. I am afraid that they(GOVT) are going to push even more hybrid on us and push the price of new trucks off the map.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Have had very good luck with Chevy and GMC products over the last 20 years. All 1/2 ton and Suburban/Yukons.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 7 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,514
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.