Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am not advocating not to put all 4 chains on a 4wd, but if you only have one set and are in a bind, the front will claw through a lot more than just putting them on the back.
Same principle as front wheel drive vehicles get around in snow and mud better than rear wheel drive.
Of course if you go to abusing your vehicle, bad things can and do happen. I'm not one to chain up and then give it full power and try to spin my way out. Slow and easy gets more results.

A few years ago we were just about snowed in north of Vail Co.

Having 4 mules, two 20 ft gooseencks and two Dodge diesel 4wd drive trucks, we had to chain all four, put them in 4wd low then chain both trucks together and pull each goosneck out separately, empty, then go back and pony out the mules tied to the back of the trucks.

The bad part was on the north side of the mountain,negotiating switch backs.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/17/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Get v-bar chains and the half moon type tensioners that the semi rigs use, way easier to tighten than rubber straps and more secure. (although you should run those too...)
Do they make those in pickup size? I've never seen them except for large trucks. They're hard to beat for ease of tightening. But then, I've been using the same chains for many years. I buy tires to fit them.

Yep, I've had mine for years now. They originally were fit to 31x10.50x15 for my old F150. I now run them on my 2004 Tundra that has 265-75-16's on it (I think I added one cross bar). I am sure you can still get them, not sure where. I got mine in Idaho Falls at a tire store.

Also the best way I have found to carry them is in a small rubbermaid tub. I just put a pair of chains in each tub, the half-moon tool and two bungie cords, then a quarter cup of motor oil and slosh that around. The oil keeps them from rusting and makes them "behave" better when you put them on. They just go back in the tub mud and all, after use. When I get home I hang them up, hose off the mud and rinse out the tub. After they dry they go back in the tub with some new oil.

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Get v-bar chains and the half moon type tensioners that the semi rigs use, way easier to tighten than rubber straps and more secure. (although you should run those too...)
Do they make those in pickup size? I've never seen them except for large trucks. They're hard to beat for ease of tightening. But then, I've been using the same chains for many years. I buy tires to fit them.

I bought mine at Les Schawb last fall.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Also the best way I have found to carry them is in a small rubbermaid tub.
I use an old plastic toolbox. I keep both set in 1 box so it's a hernia maker picking it up. They're 25+ years old so they aren't going to rust any worse than they are now. As long as I can keep using the same size of tires, They should last me many more years.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salmotrutta

Also the best way I have found to carry them is in a small rubbermaid tub. ...

.50 cal. ammo can works for me. I drilled holes in the bottom to let the moisture out.

They make different grades of chains - the light duty ones you get a Wally World and heavier sets you can get various places like farm supply outlets (Big R and such). I recommend the better grades - they break far less often.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing brings out the experts like chain talk:) I am 33, hunt elk every year in oregon and have never put a set of chains on my personal rig, Ever. I have been waved on at DOT check stations many times and never made to put them on. Not ever required/enforced if you have 4wd. I am a believer however, and do carry a set of four. It's just not likely to acutally need them for most conditions. I have put them on dad rig many times, and chains are pretty amazing really. On a heavy 3/4 ton, chains on just the front are flat out impressive (like plowing snow up to hood level) as well as chains on all four. One thing to think about, check on the newer rigs to see if chains can even fit the front, there are a lot of rigs that can only run chains on the rear.

All that said I am a total believer in real studded snow tires, and thats my choice. I fear ice much more than snow. Two sets of chains are always in the rig and maybe someday I will actually use them.

I wouldnt hesitate for an instant if I was you, going for it with a single set of chains.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deans,

A couple of points considering your vehicle.

I have torn the front brake hoses out of my Ford 2 times while running chains. On the newer Superdutys the brake hoses are routed close and you will rip them out if you turn sharp and the suspension is at cycle.

I rerouted my brake lines after the last time.

The transfer case uses a chain to drive the front axle and I had to replace my transfer case after 2 winters of hard use. I would never chain just the front axle as you might blow the transfer case.

The FX4 limited slip that you have is a really good unit and has less of a tendency to kick your ass end out than any other LS or Posi I have used but you still have to watch it in off camber situations.

If you have the Diesel and run a tunner be sure and take it back to stock as the bane of the Powerstroke is the turbo lag and when you are chained up and 600 lbs of torque hits the driveline things break pretty fast.

In fact I have had the tires break loose on the highway at 70mph when the boost hit while going uphill and on a snowpatch.

For driving on snowpacked highways and such the absolute best answer is heavy lugged tires that have been heavily sipped.

Check into the BF Goodrich KM2 and have them sipped when you get them installed.

One final thing is the semi-auto hubs. You will have to lock them in to get true 4WD. The hubs are designed to allow some slippage when in the Auto postion so you can have a little assist from the front end on patchy roads but will not lock in if you need much traction from the front end. In other words the Auto position will give you just enough front traction to get you into a bad situation and will then let go at the exact time you really need the frontend to go to work.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago, my boss sent me out with a 2x4 Suburban to check the roof on a fire lookout on top of a mountain. The road was steep and it'd been snowing so he gave me a set of these chains. Talk about worthless. I wasn't even able to get them on right because the PLASTIC slip piece broke when I was trying to get them tight. I was in a tight spot and had to have them so I jury rigged them with wire. If you get this kind, make sure they're all metal, not plastic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Even with all 4 chained, a person should still realize when it is time to turn around whistle

[Linked Image]

D
Deans Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
John thanks for advise. My 2006 F250 is diesel with 17" wheels and no programer. I have heard too many bad stories with those. This truck has enough power for my needs and so far it has not given any out of normal trouble.

Below are the chains I just purchased.

http://tirechaindealer.com/images/sprints-200x200.jpg

Deans

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check is information about state laws and tire chains:

http://www.tirechain.com/

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
Even with all 4 chained, a person should still realize when it is time to turn around whistle

[Linked Image]

Or get a Dodge...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What do you mean? I see alot of shoveling there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That wasn't a lot of shoveling, it was tons of shoveling...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
He only had to shovel that one drift / pass vs. a mile of deep snow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Have fun, carry a sheet of plastic or some coveralls, to use when sliding under your truck to attach the chains, and a good shovel. The more snow and ice you can clear from around your tire BEFORE you fit your chains the tighter and more useful they will be.

Plastic sheeting is good for lots of things, including chaining up. Agree on the coveralls, too - it is nice to be able to shed the mud easily when you are done.

One more suggestion - a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves will make chaining up in the wet and cold stuff a much easier task. (Or at least a lot less unpleasant...) I keep mine in the box I keep the tow chains and straps in, that way I don't forget them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Have fun, carry a sheet of plastic or some coveralls, to use when sliding under your truck to attach the chains, and a good shovel. The more snow and ice you can clear from around your tire BEFORE you fit your chains the tighter and more useful they will be.

Plastic sheeting is good for lots of things, including chaining up. Agree on the coveralls, too - it is nice to be able to shed the mud easily when you are done.

One more suggestion - a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves will make chaining up in the wet and cold stuff a much easier task. (Or at least a lot less unpleasant...) I keep mine in the box I keep the tow chains and straps in, that way I don't forget them.

Both the plastic and gloves are good ideas -- I already have a 2m x 2m piece of plastic in the emergency kit, but I am going to get some of those heavy duty rubber gloves that have insulation in them and add them to the winter kit.

Thanks for the ideas!

John

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rubber gloves that are too thick and heavy make it too hard to get the fasteners hooked, sometimes to the point that you have to take them off. Lighter ones won't be as warm, but they'll speed up the job.

― George Orwell

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good point Rock_Chuck -- I will pick up some fairly light rubber gloves before the cold weather comes (which, here in northern Sweden may not be long!).

John

S
S
That's why I always keep a snowblower in the truck.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 309coug, 47 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,450
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.