Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Okay, long story made short is that I loaded some 257 Roberts with large pistol primers instead of large rifle. My question is do I have to pull the load and start over or can these be used for plinking? It's hot enough here (about 100 degrees) that I don't think the cooler primer will cause a misfire. There are only 11 rounds, not that that really matters...

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If those are anywhere near full power loads then I would recommend pulling them.

Pistol primers have softer cups to detonate under the lighter strike of handguns. You risk a pierced primer at least.

Chances are the loads would be safe, but then you're gambling your face* against 5 minutes work pulling them, not a smart bet.

*Or at least your bolt face - you wouldn't believe how a tiny pinprick in a primer will melt a chunk out of a bolt face, but it sure will. It gives you a great respect for a directed stream of white hot gas.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Redleg172
Okay, long story made short is that I loaded some 257 Roberts with large pistol primers instead of large rifle. My question is do I have to pull the load and start over or can these be used for plinking? It's hot enough here (about 100 degrees) that I don't think the cooler primer will cause a misfire. There are only 11 rounds, not that that really matters...
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh.......Sorry, but I just to laugh.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just eleven....pull-em apart

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's hot enough here (about 100 degrees) that I don't think the cooler primer will cause a misfire.
laugh! This is funny, but someone should tell him, might as well be me. Thinking that a large pistol primer is going to function properly in a large rifle cartridge because the temperature outside is 100 degrees is insanity. There's a reason that there's different types of primers, Large Pistol as you learned will fit in a Large Rifle case and vice versa, but, they were designed to work properly only in the cases they were made for and actually Large Pistol and rifle primers have different dimensions, Large Rifle are taller, you'd have really created a dangerous situation if you did the opposite, because Large Rifle primers stick out of pistol shells too far and you could have accidental discharges. So what would you rather lose, 11 shells with the wrong primers, your rifle, your hands, your head? Stop f!cking around and just pull the bullets man, it's not worth it.

IC B2

P
P
primers stick out of pistol shells too far and you could have accidental discharges. So what would you rather lose, 11 shells with the wrong primers, your rifle, your hands, your head? Stop f!cking around and just pull the bullets man, it's not worth it. [/quote]
X2 .50$ worth of primers is not worth injury

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pull'em.... why run the risk?

Don't create a "Oh crap" moment when it can avoided.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You won't get 'slam firee' from pistol primers in a rifle case, perhaps especially in bolt gun, nor is temperature an issue. But pull them down, pistol primers simply aren't made to hold back pressures any where near rifle levels and a blanked primer can damage your firing pin and bolt face.

Just for your consideration, I've been reloading since '65 without a single incident, not because I'm so wise but my process prevents serious error. My guru told me to collect my components first but never have more than one type of powder, primer, case,etc. on the bench at once. And then to eyeball every charged case for powder colume consistancy before seating. I'm more than 40 years older now than he was then but I still do it his way and I've never had an over-charge or squib load, nor the wrong primer installed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Just eleven....pull-em apart

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
If those are anywhere near full power loads then I would recommend pulling them.

Pistol primers have softer cups to detonate under the lighter strike of handguns. You risk a pierced primer at least.

Chances are the loads would be safe, but then you're gambling your face* against 5 minutes work pulling them, not a smart bet.

*Or at least your bolt face - you wouldn't believe how a tiny pinprick in a primer will melt a chunk out of a bolt face, but it sure will. It gives you a great respect for a directed stream of white hot gas.

I would pull them for both reasons.

Pistol primers with you may not get proper consistent ignition.

With a pierced primer you can damage you Rifle and yourself, why invite trouble?

IMO, It is just not worth the risk

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Done deal; I figured I'd pull them but wanted a second (or nine) opinion. Thanks. Back story is that I loaded 25-06 one night, my son loaded some 44 SPCL during the day (I didn't know)and didn't empty the tray, and I loaded 257 the next night thinking they were my LRP... That's why you should always put your components away at the end of a session stupid (meaning me)!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Done deal; I figured I'd pull them but wanted a second (or nine) opinion. Thanks. Back story is that I loaded 25-06 one night, my son loaded some 44 SPCL during the day (I didn't know)and didn't empty the tray, and I loaded 257 the next night thinking they were my LRP... That's why you should always put your components away at the end of a session stupid (meaning me)!
Well, at least you asked before you shot them thank god, and now you know for next time, take care.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 25classic, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 66 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,400
Posts18,506,951
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.