Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I love this stuff and only wish we had more tradition/ceremony, and respect given our game here in the states. And I'm afraid what I see on hunting shows on television are getting us farther and farther away, rather than closer to the respect the game is due...

True dat.

I learned a lot when I came to Sweden from Canada and the USA. Hunting traditions in Sweden go back to 1350 AD.

I have been unable to watch more than a few minutes of most American hunting shows, but I think I know what you mean.

John

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not yet hunted in Germany (although I intend to when i get the chance), but one thing I would add is that this ceremony is performed at the end of what I would term a very formal?organised hunt usually a driven hunt, with lots of hunters, beaters and others doing the organising.

That said, from the European hunters I have met in the UK, even on "informal" hunts, where its just a hunter and a guide stalking deer on foot, once the beast is taken, the Europeans still tend to show the highest respect.

From what I've seen, its usually in the form of placing the "last bite" in the animals mouth, plus sometimes the twig on the side of the carcass.

What I have never seen is any whooping and hollering, or "high fives"..The few Europeans I have guided are usually quite solemn/reserved after the shot, and any celebrations usually consist of a smile, a shake of your hand and a simple "Thank You"..

What I particularly like is that the taking of a doe or cull buck is treated with the same respect, as it should be...

Last edited by Pete E; 08/26/11.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pete E

What I have never seen is any whooping and hollering, or "high fives"..The few Europeans I have guided are usually quite solemn/reserved after the shot, and any celebrations usually consist of a smile, a shake of your hand and a simple "Thank You"..

What I particularly like is that the taking of a doe or cull buck is treated with the same respect, as it should be...

Exactly.....

In my mind a true hunter will mourn as much as celebrate at the kill....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pretty good question, with some pretty interesting answers.

Thanks, all...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK guys but what is FKK ????

Va t'in tch�re !
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
fkk

Freik�rperkultur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freik%C3%B6rperkultur

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK ... Thanks ... not for me ... too much ticks in stalking season ... too cold in driven game season and the dog tends to bite sausages grin .

Last edited by grand_veneur; 08/26/11.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also if you look at the twigs over the heart they are actually placed over the bullet strike (at least where I was in Germany). Looking at the stem they are either pointed forward toward the antlers to indicate a male animal or down roughly toward the genitalia to indicate female. Each species has their own song and the trumpeters play the song of each species taken. If you are really lucky there may be a large banquet that night with fun kangaroo courts, much drinking and song singing reminiscent of a WW II movie with traditional hunting songs.

Originally Posted by Andre
Paying honour to the downed game is actually a rather formal event. Look at the pic and you will notice that the animals are laid out according to a very formal pattern, pertaining to species (hierarchy) and sex (direction of the stem of the twig).
[Linked Image]
Forming a circle, all participants take off their hat and keep it on their heart, while a blood drenched twig is presented to each shooter in turn. All the while the trumps (trompe d'Orl�ans = 4.9 yds. long in 3.5 turns) are blowing. The ceremony takes place after nighly toward night fall and the scene is lighted by wood fires. Quite an emotionally laden experience, BTW.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by Altjaeger; 08/26/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When dining and drinking in the company of J�gers, and someone toasts with "Waidmanns Heil", use your left hand. Use of the right hand may cost you a round of drinks for the table. Don't ask me how I know.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and always have a knife and a cartridge in your pockets. If challenged by another who has such items and you cannot produce yours then you are again subject to buying a round. grin

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by bucktales
When dining and drinking in the company of J�gers, and someone toasts with "Waidmanns Heil", use your left hand. Use of the right hand may cost you a round of drinks for the table. Don't ask me how I know.

This is from the tradition of a knighted person. Once you were knighted you did most things with your left hand other than hold the reigns of your horse.

Many ceremonies upon the completion of the hunting class include a knighting ceremony. It was a very emotional experience.

Our Knighting ceremony was conducted In a castle in Kusel Germany. The owner of the property was a hunter and was very happy to accomodate us.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I wouldnt mind retiring to live in germany, but the wife said no. It is a hunter's paradise.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "v�nerie trump" (trompe de chasse) was a communication instrument among hunters with one particular song for every time and event of the day, from the awakening to the good night, the game seen or just its track, and a song for every kind of game.

When rendering the honors here in South Belgium, and I see it in France too, we don't have music played all the time but when we have music it is that kind of music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klm4AaFVPtc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuSgLletMeY&feature=related

It is not the same kind of instrument and sound, much complicated, but very emotional.

Sometimes you just have one or two players normally dressed, sometimes you have more of them in traditional uniform, but it is not so easy to have such players on a hunt and if you don't have a player among the hunters you have to rent one or more, which is costy. It's good to hear that music besides the taken game some days of the season.

Last edited by grand_veneur; 08/26/11.

Va t'in tch�re !
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by jagd
It is a hunter's paradise.

Well, as a German I wouldn�t call it a hunter�s paradise. I prefer BC over Germany every time. Hunting in Germany is just very expensive and as everything in Germany regulated by too many laws and guys who just want to have even more laws.

Last edited by gebuesch1; 08/26/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The grass always seems to be greener away from the homeland wink

Va t'in tch�re !
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by gebuesch1
Originally Posted by jagd
It is a hunter's paradise.

Well, as a German I wouldn�t call a hunter�s paradise. I prefer BC over Germany every time. Hunting in Germany is just very expensive and as everything in Germany regulated by too many laws and guys who just want to have even more laws.

Yes the traditional start up for a German hunter is unfortunately expensive. Having to spend 10-15 thousand euros just to get started coupled with not allowing youth to hunt makes it very hard to get new hunters in the field.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
At my daughter's wedding, I hired some horn blowers :
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
NB : I'm standing left on the stairs, half hidden by the parasol and puffing on a big cigar whistle

[Linked Image]

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Andr'e, I bet it was a beautiful wedding!!! Jagd, as an American hunter in Germany I had some great hunting in the 1980's and early 90's. Honestly about the best I ever had. However, by the 1990s the program was already dying. My son is there now. As a E6 with three children hunting is just out of his financial reach with the now defunct hunting program gone. It is I am afraid another case of paradise lost.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is fantastic. I only saw music on larger, formal drive hunts in Germany.

Originally Posted by grand_veneur
The "v�nerie trump" (trompe de chasse) was a communication instrument among hunters with one particular song for every time and event of the day, from the awakening to the good night, the game seen or just its track, and a song for every kind of game.

When rendering the honors here in South Belgium, and I see it in France too, we don't have music played all the time but when we have music it is that kind of music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klm4AaFVPtc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuSgLletMeY&feature=related

It is not the same kind of instrument and sound, much complicated, but very emotional.

Sometimes you just have one or two players normally dressed, sometimes you have more of them in traditional uniform, but it is not so easy to have such players on a hunt and if you don't have a player among the hunters you have to rent one or more, which is costy. It's good to hear that music besides the taken game some days of the season.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Anaconda, AscensionIndustries, Amos63, arky65, 44automag, 8 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 760 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,097
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.